Just Back - A Few Reviews of New Places and Old Favorites

henrylovespooh

DIS Veteran
We spent a fabulous 9 days at WDW and got back Monday - just in time for another snowstorm!

This trip, we went back to some of our favorite places and tried some new ones. We're a family of four - me, DH, and kids 7 and 8. Here are some thoughts about a few places.

New Places We Tried:

Chefs de France - we really liked itand will definitely go again. We started with warm baguettes. I had the roast chicken with roasted root veggies and a wonderful pan sauce. It was delicious. DH had the burger and fries, and both of us oogled a bowl of mac and cheese at another table. :cloud9: The kids had a salad as their appetizer but gave them to DH and I because they didn't like the vinaigrette. I thought it was fabulous. They both had chicken tenders and liked them.

Garden Grill - Another place we really liked and will visit again. They bring the food family style, and it was all good. I liked the flank steak and the mahi mahi the best - the turkey was also good. The kids ate some of the flank steak as well as mac and cheese and chicken from the kids plate. The characters were excellent - especially Chip and Dale - best interaction of any place we went during the trip. The berry buckle was delicious as well, and the kids loved their cup of dirt.

Old Favorites:

Jiko - We ate there last year - just DH and I - and loved it. This time, we both had the filet with mac and cheese and a mixed greens salad. It was good, but I thought my steak was a bit overdone and I thought they skimped on the mac and cheese compared to the last time I ate there. It was still good, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't in the food nirvana I remembered being in last time I ate there. As we were eating, we looked at a table below us and saw the short ribs - that plate looked awesome! Might try that next time.

DD had grilled cheese with celery, carrots, strawberries and a peanut butter dip. DS had the kids' steak with mashed potatoes. Both enjoyed their meals.

I had the pistachio creme brulee for dessert and thought it was very good. The kids shared the "Fun Doo" which is a brownie, chocolate chip bar cookie and a rice crispie treat, and strawberries, with a cup of chocolate syrup dip. It's like kids fondue. They loved it.

Biergarten - I thought this visit was better than the last time we ate there. I especially liked their version of a shepherd's pie, with pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. The roasted potatoes were delicious. The German pot roast was also good. The kids loved the chicken schnitzel. I thought the roast pork and rotisserie style chicken was a bit dry, but good. That seems to be the case at all Disney restaurants, IMHO. My favorite dessert was a small cup of berries with a vanilla cream sauce on top. yum!

Boma - Since we were staying at AKL, we ate there a few times. Hands down, I love their desserts. I especially love their mango vinaigrette on mixed greens. I'm not that adventurous of an eater, but I do like their carved meats and roasted potatoes. DH loves their soups - I think he tried most of them - potato was one he really liked. I tried the gumbo and it was delicious. My favorite desserts were the passion fruit custard, zebra domes, pineapple upside down cheesecake and the coffee mousse in a chocolate cup.

Tusker House - This is the second time we've had lunch there, and I think I like it more than Boma. Their carving station beef is better, for sure, plus, they have mashed potatoes and delicious green beans. That alone was a perfect meal! Their desserts aren't as good as Boma, but at lunchtime, it wasn't much of a concern. Our service was excellent.

Boulangerie Patisserie - I love this CS in Epcot's France pavillion! The toasted croissant with ham and cheese is fabulous! I also like the strawberry tart, the baguette sandwich, and the quiche there. This time, I had the croissant sandwich and all I can say is yum!

Casey's (MK) - Others are right - the new hot dog buns are terrible. DS's corn dog nuggets were delicious!

Well, that's all for now. Hope this is helpful.

nice review, short & sweet!

Agree with liking Tusker House better than Boma, at least for dinner. But we LOVED Boma breakfast...if you're ever looking for an outstanding breakfast buffett at Disney, that's it (but no characters. Course that part we liked, being "kidless";) - makes the meal a lot more relaxing.)

We passed Boma one morning and it smelled wonderful! We don't usually do TS breakfasts (we like to get to the parks when they open to avoid crowds on the rides the kids like), but it's a definite possibility for a future trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter