Just Back - 23-Sept to 25-Sept

tink2424

DIS Veteran
Before my trip I didn’t see many just back reports so I figured I would give a real time update.

Wed, Sep 23 - Volcano Bay - Lovely day. Rented a Cabana just to the right of the volcano. Good location. Loved not wearing a mask to walk around. The line for the cabana took forever so get to Volcano Bay well in advance of the early opening as we went right at 9:30 and there was already a big line... we did the aqua foster first with a ride now & it is definitely the best ride in the park. Spent a lot of time in the fearless river (fast river). Everyone is required to wear a life vest which a bummer but wasn’t too bad. Spent the full day at Volcano Bay & really enjoyed the day.

Thurs, Sept 24 - IOA/Universal - did early entry at IOA & went right to Hagrids. Was a 30 minute wait. We did have to wait about 20 minutes to get into IOA so if you want a short wait for Hagrids get over to the IOA gates by about 8:15am in the morning. The waits for most of the other rides were short - 10-15 minutes with the bigger rides getting a little longer. We saved money this time by staying at CBBR so we didn’t have express pass and while it mostly wasn’t needed it was a little disappointing to not have it sometimes. We had lunch at Blondies & I hit prepare my order on the way over & never got the “your order is ready” message. When we got to the restaurant apparently they didn’t make it until you are there which is a bit confusing. The next day we are at 3 broomsticks & even with mobile order you have to get a table first so keep that in mind as we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table. Mobile order doesn’t gain you any early entry to the restaurants. Our longest wait of the day was the train to universal at almost an hour (that was when I really wished we had our express passes). Finished with dinner at Vivo Italian Kitchen. Definitely eat in Citywalk for dinner each night.

Fri, Sept 25 -Universal/IOA - started at Universal. Tried to go on ETbut that doesn’t open until 10am & we were a bit too early for that. Rode MIB & then Gringotts before taking the train to IOA for Hagrids. Waited about 35 minutes for Hagrids (Tip - if thewait time is 75 minutes but the line starts at the gate to get in, it will only be about 30-40 minutes). Did mobile order for three broomsticks (see above). Then went to the water rides (we skipped Jurassic Park as we did it yesterday). Changed into our water ride clothes & then ride the 2 water rides. I brought zip lock bags for our ticket (to open the locker) & for our masks. Once we got on the ride, everyone would pass me their mask & I would put them in the bag. This way our masks didn’t get wet as you get soaked on these rides. We finished the day with Suess Landing & then walking over to Universal to ride ET. We had dinner at Toothsome (which was ok). You can make a reset at Toothsome & I recommend doing so as it is very popular. You have to call to make the reservation. You can’t do it on the web.

As for masks, I have to tell you they were difficult to wear. The real feel temperature yesterday was 103 & the sun was bright & hot! I had much more difficulty wearing my mask yesterday & took more breaks with it down to catch my breath. When it is hot & humid they are very tough to wear.

mostly people social distanced well. I wasn’t worried as I’ve already had COVID in March but I tried to be respectful since others are being more cautious. I did just have to laugh since you can walk around Volcano Bay without a mask & the other theme parks you can’t. I understand why but it is hard to see why we can’t be more reasonable and just make them mandatory in lines & inside. Anywho not trying to start a debate just an observation.

I hope this helps for those of you visiting soon!

Hagrids (Tip - if thewait time is 75 minutes but the line starts at the gate to get in, it will only be about 30-40 minutes)
Super useful, thank you! Also really appreciate the thoughts overall and specifically the info regarding mobile ordering.

Super useful, thank you! Also really appreciate the thoughts overall and specifically the info regarding mobile ordering.
Thanks! It was confusing since the app makes it seem like you order then go to the restaurant but they kinda want you to sit at the restaurant first & then make your order... the k my bonus is that they bring the food to your table & clean up after you so the next person always gets a clean table. 😊

Thank you for this. Lots of good info. Heading down Monday for a long 6 night Universal trip at HRH. I agree with your question as to why masks cant just be mandated when inside and on line. Dreading having to wear a mask all day even outside. So dumb.
I think the perception of a safe environment is really important, and that is what it’s about. Plus, it’s easy to avoid water parks and still have a great vacation, for people who are uncomfortable in a crowded public place without masking. Have a great trip!!

Thank you for this. Lots of good info. Heading down Monday for a long 6 night Universal trip at HRH. I agree with your question as to why masks cant just be mandated when inside and on line. Dreading having to wear a mask all day even outside. So dumb.
I agree... especially with the sun & heat which has been shown to help eliminate the virus. All in all it is do-able but it is a bit miserable. I hope as we move forward if they don’t want to get rid of masks all together they could go to the model of only needing them inside or in line.

hope you have a good time when you go!!

mostly people social distanced well. I wasn’t worried as I’ve already had COVID in March but I tried to be respectful since others are being more cautious. I did just have to laugh since you can walk around Volcano Bay without a mask & the other theme parks you can’t. I understand why but it is hard to see why we can’t be more reasonable and just make them mandatory in lines & inside. Anywho not trying to start a debate just an observation.
Yeah - Id be far more likely to go if you did not have to wear them outside - but I guess it would be even harder to enforce

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!