Just a rant, neighbor bragging about govt. assist.

Just wanted to point out that in most areas of Westchester county you couldn't get a tear down shack for $300K. The cost of housing there is astronomical.

I'm sure Hence the amazing salaries ;)

Clearly I need to move to Westchester County, NY!!!!!!! DH has been teaching for 10 years, and is about 1/2 way to his Master's degree (which we pay for as the school has no tuition reimbursement program) and makes 48K a year.

Here in IN, DH has 25 years experience, with a master's degree plus additional hours (which we paid for), and makes $58K. Of course our cost-of-living is lower than in Westchester County. You could buy a decent 1800 square foot ranch on 1/2 acre, with attached garage, for under $100K. Plus our property taxes, on the above home, are about $500 a year. Yeah, you read that right.

Here in IN, DH has 25 years experience, with a master's degree plus additional hours (which we paid for), and makes $58K. Of course our cost-of-living is lower than in Westchester County. You could buy a decent 1800 square foot ranch on 1/2 acre, with attached garage, for under $100K. Plus our property taxes, on the above home, are about $500 a year. Yeah, you read that right.

yeah.. cost of living is definitiely different here...

I live in 1800 sq ft on about 50x100. It would probably sell for $600k (even in this bad market) and has property taxes of around $14k (not a misprint... but that it whatcha pay when the teachers make six figures).

There are some folks that have bigger houses that pay 20, 30 or 40k in property taxes. Can you imagine? I have heard of one house that is in the 70s! Sort of puts a damper in my ever trading up!

Thank goodness I bought the place for a third of what its now worth.

Since he is also on Medicade that is what we have to apply for he is also on a spend down each month if we do not meet it then we are stuck with the bill, sorry about the SSD I ment Medicade and Medicare for his health insurance that is what we have to reaply for. He does not do Home Dialysis because of his blood pressure and he has passed out on the machine at DCI so for his him he goes in so that someone can watch him all of the time. He did not automatic qualify for his SSD because it start out with CHF then end stage renal. My husband would love to go back to work he worked since he was 16 so it was hard for him not to. All of his doctor have told him that he can not go back to work. We have been on the Kidney transplant list for 2 year.

Lisa

To the OP - if your neighbor's children have been diagnosed as severely emotionally disturbed, she may also be pulling in a Social Security check every month. When my mother taught, she had students whose parents were financially benefitting from having kids who misbehaved. They wouldn't discipline their kids because they wanted to make sure they would get that check every month. Of course those same kids are now in "crimewatch" in our local paper.....:mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter