Jungle Jungle 5K

Disney_Princess83

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

My sister and I have been talking about signing up for this 5K as we will be at WDW for a huge 32 day Disney World Vacation during this time. :dance3:

We would really only be doing this race to meet characters. I know that the characters for the short runs aren't as good as for the actual half and full marathons. Are the characters alone usually worth it? I realise no one knows what characters will turn up until we actually run the race. However if it's just usual characters we could meet at AK or anywhere else at WDW during normal hours, we might end up skipping it. I tried searching for a thread about this but couldn't see much information about the characters available on the route.

Thanks

The 2012 Jingle Jungle was my first-ever running event, and I was flabbergasted that I actually could run more than 90 seconds, so I didn't chance stopping for any characters. I also didn't bring a camera. To the best of my recollection, there were the big five, Rafiki, Baloo, and the Tarzan characters. Lines were maybe 10-15 deep when I passed them. There were also live animals, mainly birds and small mammals, at the apex of the backstage stretch.

Hi Disney Princess,
Congrats on your 32 day Disney vacation!!! I am so jealous!

Here are a few things you should know about the Run Disney races.

1. You will have to get up very early, like 3:00 am.

2. You more than likely should stay at a Disney Host resort so you can ride the race shuttle to the start of the race. You can drive yourself, but there will be traffic ( not as bad as on half marathon day because no roads should be closed)

3. You will have to be at the sports expo the day before so you can pick up your t-shirt and bib number.

4. There aren't a ton of characters out during the race. from past races I have done I'm gonna guess 10 or less. And you will still have to wait in line in most cases unless you are a fast runner and are in the front of the pack.

If your sole purpose of running/walking the race is to see the characters than It's probably not worth it. You can book a charcter meal for less than race registration!

On the other hand, if you are doing it for the experience, there is nothing like a Run Disney event. The sheer joy you will get when you cross the finish line is amazing ( and the finisher medallions are pretty cute too).

But be warned. Once you do this 5k, you just may be bitten by the Run Disney bug! I know I was! feel free to visit our blog and read our recaps and see pics of previous Disney 5K's we've done!

Good Luck in your decision!

Just to add another perspective: I didn't / don't get up at 3AM for the 5Ks -- the halfs, and 10milers, sure, but not the 5K -- they start later (7 for the Jungle Jingle, for example) while the WDW Marathon started at 5:30AM).

I really enjoyed walking the 5K before I started running, but I liked looking around at the costumes, enjoying the day. Sixty bucks a head is a LOT to pay if you're just doing it for the characters. Go to a character meal instead -- cheaper and you get a meal too!

Thanks everyone for the replies. We were hoping for some rarer or unusual characters, although from the replies, it seems just the regular characters will be out during the run.

Merandab4 - Thank you! :dance3: We are getting really excited too! My sister and I are starting to get really excited now:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter