June 23-25

sweetlovin'

DIS Veteran
Hello,

I will be in Hong Kong Disneyland for 2 nights. I booked Hollywood hotel, Chef Mickeys for dinner, and 1 day tickets.

With a family of 5 on a Monday, will we be able to get most of the rides done? My kids love the Golden Mickey show on the cruise, so hopefully we will be able to catch that as well.

Thank you for your responses :)

You should be able to hit all the main attractions (including the Golden Mickeys) on a Monday. Not sure what June crowds are like though, so you might not get to *all* the rides. I know it starts really heating up, so make sure you're prepared for the heat.

I would check out the times for the Golden Mickeys when you check into the hotel (you get given a park map and times guide) and pick a time to see that. You could maybe make it for the middle of the day when the park is likely to be at its busiest. Be at the gate for rope drop and do as many of the big attractions as you can before your Golden Mickeys show, then afterwards, hit some more. Please be aware that the Golden Mickeys is mainly in Cantonese with English sub-titles on a screen next to the stage, but all the singing and dancing numbers are in English. I have also heard that it is an abbreviated version of the one on the cruise. I haven't seen the cruise version, but I really enjoyed it (and it was fun hearing all the Disney characters speak in Cantonese :rotfl:).

Not sure what night your Chef Mickey's reservation is, but it is worth cheking out the fireworks if you can. The parade is also excellent and worth seeing. You shouldn't have to spend hours staking out a good spot - I watched from the Main Street train station with a perfect view down Main Street after getting there about 20 minutes before show time.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll be happy to find out for you when I'm there in March.

Thank you very much for your response. I made Chef Mickey's for the night before we hit the park. I know they have the race car (they have it in Paris as well) and that was my youngest favorite ride. So, that is a must for her, since we don't have it in the states.

Good to know about the Golden Mickey show. I guess we can sit down at Chef Mickeys the night before and plan out the morning. I will be coming from the Philippines, so we should be able to hit the ground running making sure we get there for the rope drop then staying all day. We will have been in Asia for over 2 weeks, so we should be adjusted to the time difference by that point.

I will look for your trip report. I just read that in Tokyo Disney the people tend to dress up more. I wear shorts (ok shorter shorts) and tank tops most of the time in the summer. I wonder what people wear in Hong Kong Disney.

Toy Story Land should be a bit quieter now that Grizzly Gulch has opened up (when I went last it was the 'new' land). Make sure you check out the mine train ride in Grizzly Gulch too, as you can't see that anywhere else in the world.

As far as the way people dress, yeah there are a few who 'dress up' - mainly young women that I noticed. Generally people dressed much the same though, and I wouldn't think you'd look out of place in shorts and tank tops. I think what's most important is that you are comfortable - I wouldn't wear high heels to a theme park if you paid me! What you will notice though is the mass of umbrellas everywhere. People over there carry them for shade in summer.

I'm sure my new TR will be up before you leave, but in the meantime, you can check out my old TR (link in my signature) if you want to get a general idea of what people are wearing etc (keep in mind though it was the end of winter when I was there).

I should tell you I splurged and decided to book Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel. I went back and forth for a while, but in the end, I went with it. I have been reading everyone's trip reports in between trying to book all the hotels, flights, and entertainment for the 8 countries we are visiting.

I cannot wait to read the updated ones as well :)

I should tell you I splurged and decided to book Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel. I went back and forth for a while, but in the end, I went with it. I have been reading everyone's trip reports in between trying to book all the hotels, flights, and entertainment for the 8 countries we are visiting.

I cannot wait to read the updated ones as well :)

Congrats. It's a great hotel.

You won't regret it - it's a beautiful hotel :goodvibes And just that little bit closer to the park too :thumbsup2

I keep looking at your countdown thinking, why did I not book DLP as well. My kids would have been thrilled because Crush is our favorite ride.

I had mile to fly all of us over to Asia with United. We are headed to Singapore, Philippines, Hong Kong, China (10 days) and Tokyo. Because I used miles with United, I get a free stop over wherever they go. So instead of going back to LA, we are headed to Munich. We are going spend some time in Germany and Austria before we come home. We might take a day and go to Slovakia, Budapest, or Prague since they are right there.

It is a long trip, but my kids are 12, 10, and 8 so I made it very very kid oriented. In China, aside from the tourist things, we are going to the zoo, making the warriors out of clay, flying Chinese kites..ect. My kids are learning Chinese in school, so they have been asking to go for some time. It is also why we will stop at Universal Studios in Singapore and I was thinking about DLP. I know my 12yo old will be fine and my 10yo has been telling me she has only been to Canada and France. She said, "Mom, I am getting older. It is time that I see the world." :rotfl: It's my 8yo that I want to make sure is kept entertained and happy. ;)

:offtopic: The reason I mentioned United Airline, is because I also use American Airlines miles. American has the least expensive miles as far as getting to other countries. For example, they are 75k miles to Australia and New Zealand, where United is 80 0r 85k miles. All of this is per person. American gives a free stopover, but it is the last stop in the US only. United it can be one stop over anywhere they stop. So depending on what you want to accomplish and how much time and miles you have, the different airlines are more suited for a trip. I would fly American to New Zealand again and try to look for a free stop over in Hawaii. But, i would probably fly United again to head to Asia. Again, American only requires 50k miles to Japan and United is 65k. So there are big differences when you are trying to get 4 people over seas.

That is probably too much information. Sorry :lmao:
H

Thank you it will be here before I know it. My son was invited to play soccer in Jamaica the week I was suppose to leave for Singapore. So I am headed there before the long trip to Asia. I can't believe it is a week away

Overall, i think Hong Kong Disney has one of the best back drops for the castle. I loved the walkway from disneyland hotel to the parks. Everywhere else thus far (aside from.tokyo because i haven't been there has guests walk a downtown Disney with shops and kiosks. This is by far the prettiest walkway to the park. Trees, flowers, and Disney flags line the walkway with awesome fountains in the center.

My only real annoyance was the woman who decided to practice her Tai Chi on me while walking into the row at philharmagic. She was 60-65 and she was smaller than me by a good 3-4 inches, but she must have been a black belt because she knocked me back and I almost toppled my 8yo walking behind me.

I did not notice many kids jumping the line. I did notice quite a few adults cutting ahead or into a line. Overall, it happened three times in a day, so not nearly what I was prepared to deal with, but still wondering why adults feel the urge to push and shove their way through.

I loved Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch. The space mountain has almost no drops, but is faster than Disneyland California. Buzz lightyear my 8yo maxed the points, so I was so excited for her.

If we are in Asia again, specifically Hong Kong, we would definitely go back.

Thank you for your report! I'm most happy that you mostly enjoyed your trip to Hong Kong Disneyland. We do have many great memories to have here!

"Head down, elbows up, never look them in the eyes, pushing is acceptable".

We look forward to see you back in Hong Kong Disneyland soon!

It's the magic at HKDL!

Glad you had a good HKDL visit, SweetLovin'. Pity about the Tai Chi hit; but I guess it was an accident.

How was the rest of the trip?

Glad you had a good HKDL visit, SweetLovin'. Pity about the Tai Chi hit; but I guess it was an accident.

How was the rest of the trip?

That was no accident. She went too far down and her friends had picked a row 1 back from me. So as i was entering she shoved me back to get into her row. Seriously, the adukts were far worse than the children as far as shoving, pushing and line cutting.

The rest of the trip so far has been fun. I'm just about 1/2 way through. Shanghai is cleaner than I expected it to be. The kids havr seen a few things they studied and a lot of people want to take picutres with them. In China you are only allowef to have 1 child. Otherwise you have to pay a tax or fine. People have been surprised to see 3 kids so they ask to take a photo with them. Singapore, after 2 children you are taxed. Philippines has no limit, but there is a huge population problem there.

We lucked out and missed the haze caused by the fires in Indonesia. So both Singapore and Maylasia were ok while we were there. My kids loved tranformers ride in universal Singapore and the Dragon in Maylasias lego land. We've never been to a Universal or legoland in the States, but 30 hours spent flying 1/2 way around the world, Universal is a must.

LOL

Still have many days in China before heading tokyo, Germany & Austria.

Thanks for asking :) its been such an incredible journey.

That was no accident. She went too far down and her friends had picked a row 1 back from me. So as i was entering she shoved me back to get into her row. Seriously, the adukts were far worse than the children as far as shoving, pushing and line cutting.

The rest of the trip so far has been fun. I'm just about 1/2 way through. Shanghai is cleaner than I expected it to be. The kids havr seen a few things they studied and a lot of people want to take picutres with them. In China you are only allowef to have 1 child. Otherwise you have to pay a tax or fine. People have been surprised to see 3 kids so they ask to take a photo with them. Singapore, after 2 children you are taxed. Philippines has no limit, but there is a huge population problem there.

We lucked out and missed the haze caused by the fires in Indonesia. So both Singapore and Maylasia were ok while we were there. My kids loved tranformers ride in universal Singapore and the Dragon in Maylasias lego land. We've never been to a Universal or legoland in the States, but 30 hours spent flying 1/2 way around the world, Universal is a must.

LOL

Still have many days in China before heading tokyo, Germany & Austria.

Thanks for asking :) its been such an incredible journey.

That's a shame about the deliberate shove.

Sounds like you're having a great trip. Enjoy! You're going to be ticking off the TDL castle as well, aren't you? I'll have to keep an eye on the Japan subforum to see if you put a post up there.

And yes - lucky you for missing out on the haze.

I think you might find that there are one or two interested people in Universal Singapore; should you feel the urge to write a TR....:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter