July W.I.S.H - Summer of Independence!

Hi, everyone!!

I'm Nicole - 50 - an educator off for the summer, living in Massachusetts with my DH, DS(20) and two spoiled cats.

My goals for July are to drink enough water and watch the sweets!

I just got back from a week visiting family, so am catching up with things here on the DIS. I hadn't seen my folks in two years, and it was wonderful!! Here are a few pics taken near Keuka Lake, in upstate NY:

I love taking the ferry to MK. I remember discovering it a long time ago - 1988 - when I was still pushing a stroller. So much easier than going up the ramp to the monorail!

I love the ferry, too! I still remember taking it from MK back to the TTC on the day of DS's first trip. He was a year and a half, in a stroller as well, and the look on his face was priceless!

Thankful for the school department we live in. Although the IEP process has been a mess I am thankful two of my three kids will be starting speech therapy through the school system between now and early September.
Hoping it is a benefit to them as they grow.

DS had that for a couple of years, and it really helped! - They got him over the letters he just couldn't quite say, and now you'd never know he ever needed it. The only thing I wished I'd known then that I know now is to ask exactly what he missed in class during pull-outs. (It wasn't supposed to be during instructional time, but schedules get behind sometimes, and eventually I noticed a few gaps.) It would have been easier to cover those things myself each day than to catch him up later.

Good Morning. I am trying to come up with a topic for today and having a rough time. I think I will make it simple. What do you do for workouts/exercise?

Generally, I walk on the treadmill. I pick a series to watch on the iPad, that I reserve just for that time of day, so it makes me look forward to exercising.

I also believe in incorporating movement into recreational activities (like the hike above).

Last edited:
Walking is my go-to, but I haven't been doing much of it lately. Before the pandemic started I had finally found a yoga place that I really liked and I'm watching for them to re-open. The state has lifted all restrictions, so hopefully it won't be long now. I really need to stretch more and I saved an email notice for a stretching class, but haven't looked in to it yet.

Finally the scale moved this morning, by -2 pounds. It has got me feeling like I might be able to lose -5 this month and -5 next month after all, but I am going to have to make more changes like getting out to walk to burn more calories, and reducing carbs.

I did next to nothing over the holiday weekend, none of the yard stuff at all, well, except to pick up a pile of dead grass that had been sitting for a couple weeks. When I was thinking about things prior to my counseling session I realized that I was in recovery mode from the trip, which helped me get going on at least cleaning the bathroom. This morning before work I folded the laundry I did on Friday, so I'm already being more productive than I was over the weekend.

Walking is my go-to, but I haven't been doing much of it lately. Before the pandemic started I had finally found a yoga place that I really liked and I'm watching for them to re-open. The state has lifted all restrictions, so hopefully it won't be long now. I really need to stretch more and I saved an email notice for a stretching class, but haven't looked in to it yet.

DS's soccer team just started yoga last week. He really liked it. I guess the boys on the team asked for it and the coach found a place. I think this will be good for them.

Finally the scale moved this morning, by -2 pounds. It has got me feeling like I might be able to lose -5 this month and -5 next month after all, but I am going to have to make more changes like getting out to walk to burn more calories, and reducing carbs.

This is awesome. I am sure you will be able to meet your goal before your vacation.

Hi, everyone!!

I'm Nicole - 50 - an educator off for the summer, living in Massachusetts with my DH, DS(20) and two spoiled cats.

I just got back from a week visiting family, so am catching up with things here on the DIS. I hadn't seen my folks in two years, and it was wonderful!! Here are a few pics taken near Keuka Lake, in upstate NY:

View attachment 587339

View attachment 587336

View attachment 587337

I love the ferry, too! I still remember taking it from MK back to the TTC on the day of DS's first trip. He was a year and a half, in a stroller as well, and the look on his face was priceless!

DS had that for a couple of years, and it really helped! - They got him over the letters he just couldn't quite say, and now you'd never know he ever needed it. The only thing I wished I'd known then that I know now is to ask exactly what he missed in class during pull-outs. (It wasn't supposed to be during instructional time, but schedules get behind sometimes, and eventually I noticed a few gaps.) It would have been easier to cover those things myself each day than to catch him up later.

Generally, I walk on the treadmill. I pick a series to watch on the iPad, that I reserve just for that time of day, so it makes me look forward to exercising.

I also believe in incorporating movement into recreational activities (like the hike above).
It must have been wonderful to see everyone again! What a beautiful area!

DS's soccer team just started yoga last week. He really liked it. I guess the boys on the team asked for it and the coach found a place. I think this will be good for them.

This is awesome. I am sure you will be able to meet your goal before your vacation.
Our HS soccer team (which was/is very good) took yoga for years from one of the moms-they loved it and we ended up teaching it in gym classes.

Hi, everyone!!

View attachment 587339

View attachment 587336

View attachment 587337

Beautiful photos! I'm happy for you that you finally got to see your family after two years. I truly empathize.

I did next to nothing over the holiday weekend, none of the yard stuff at all, well, except to pick up a pile of dead grass that had been sitting for a couple weeks. When I was thinking about things prior to my counseling session I realized that I was in recovery mode from the trip, which helped me get going on at least cleaning the bathroom. This morning before work I folded the laundry I did on Friday, so I'm already being more productive than I was over the weekend.
CONGRATULATIONS! on the weight loss! It's so cool that you were able to reflect and realize why you felt a certain way.

Hi, everyone!!

View attachment 587339

View attachment 587336

View attachment 587337

Beautiful!

I’m back from our long awaited vacation to Riviera Maya, Mexico. I think I’m all caught up and read through all the posts. @PollyannaMom I’m so happy for you that you got to go see your family again and those pictures are gorgeous!
@Oneanne your pictures from the hot air balloon make me want to try it someday! Looks amazing!
Here are a few pics from our trip. Im so grateful to be in good enough shape to keep up with my teens! For their birthday we did an ATV, Cenote, & zipline tour. It was so much fun!!!

I’m back from our long awaited vacation to Riviera Maya, Mexico. I think I’m all caught up and read through all the posts. @PollyannaMom I’m so happy for you that you got to go see your family again and those pictures are gorgeous!
@Oneanne your pictures from the hot air balloon make me want to try it someday! Looks amazing!
Here are a few pics from our trip. Im so grateful to be in good enough shape to keep up with my teens! For their birthday we did an ATV, Cenote, & zipline tour. It was so much fun!!!
View attachment 587527

View attachment 587530

View attachment 587532

View attachment 587534

View attachment 587533
WOW!!! This looks like a once in a lifetime trip...memories that will last forever.

WOO HOO! DD is moving forward in her new business as a Personal Stylist & Fashion Event Planner. She has been doing photo shoots all week in preparation for the launch of her website. Today and tomorrow she is attending Vogue's Forces of Fashion Summit virtually and will get to network with professionals in the industry. It's all very exciting to see her take control of her professional life during such a challenging time. I'm a proud Mommy.

WOO HOO! We have been able to enjoy the pool during the day as it storms by night...haven't had to water the plants in over a week now.

WOO HOO! We are just 16 days away from our first vacation since Disneyland, April 2019.

WOO HOO! DD is moving forward in her new business as a Personal Stylist & Fashion Event Planner. She has been doing photo shoots all week in preparation for the launch of her website. Today and tomorrow she is attending Vogue's Forces of Fashion Summit virtually and will get to network with professionals in the industry. It's all very exciting to see her take control of her professional life during such a challenging time. I'm a proud Mommy.

WOO HOO! We have been able to enjoy the pool during the day as it storms by night...haven't had to water the plants in over a week now.

WOO HOO! We are just 16 days away from our first vacation since Disneyland, April 2019.
That sounds very exciting! She must be so happy moving forward with plans for something she loves to do!

Woohoo, we have had fabulous weather since our family arrived-it’s not supposed to rain until the night before they fly home. I have loved spending time with them! And speaking of keeping up, the parents went out for dinner and we (my sister and brother-in-law) took the kids to the park and played tennis (I retrieved balls!). Very grateful I can keep up with them!

Woohoo, we have had fabulous weather since our family arrived-it’s not supposed to rain until the night before they fly home. I have loved spending time with them! And speaking of keeping up, the parents went out for dinner and we (my sister and brother-in-law) took the kids to the park and played tennis (I retrieved balls!). Very grateful I can keep up with them!
Keeping up with the kids, grandchildren, and in my case, great nieces and nephews, is the goal in all this for me too. I know that knee replacements are in my future if I truly want to keep up with them, but step one is weight loss and being as active as physically possible in the meantime.

You all inspire me so much to keep on keeping on!

View attachment 587527

View attachment 587530

View attachment 587532

View attachment 587534

View attachment 587533
Looks like y'all had a fabulous time!

Woohoo... I've started a new morning ritual, instead of doing the beach drive before I sit down to work, I do one household chore.

Woohoo.. my appointment with the Nutritionist for food sensitivity testing is tomorrow.

Woohoo... Sunday my ADR window opens!

View attachment 587527

View attachment 587530

View attachment 587532

View attachment 587534

View attachment 587533

This looks like a wonderful trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter