July 8th, 2023 - 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona (Cannes, Livorno, Naples, Civitavecchia)

We just have the cost of the cruise and travel because our medical is covered.
We have not purchased medical or trip cancellation insurance yet. I do have emergency medical coverage through work but we might purchase trip cancellation insurance.
I wasn't sure what my coverage was so I called to find out. Turns out some policies do not include overseas travel. I don't know if the stories are true or not but I've read horror stories by some people who thought they were covered but were not and couldn't leave until they paid up in cash and it was in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Last edited:
I was able to book all the excursions that we wanted through DCL this evening. It looks to me like most of the excursions are still available. The only thing that I could not book was Palo Brunch.
The Platinum excursion booking window opened up a couple of weeks ago and we booked our entire week very quickly through Disney. Yes, you can get lower prices booking them on your own but it would require too much research and we didn't want to bother, we're too lazy. I also didn't feel comfortable doing it that way.

Thanks for the information. We were planning on our Palo night for the day at sea. We may have to have a plan B. We are the next group to have online booking I believe so hopefully things stay as they are for excursions. We are booking adult only excursions so maybe they will be less in demand?

I called DCL to check when our formal night is because I don't want to miss out on Captain's Dinner (lobster night) by going to Palo. I was told this is our rotation.

Sunday July 9 Formal night - silver anniversary at sea fireworks
Wednesday July 12 Pirate night
Friday July 14 Semi-formal night

some policies do not include overseas travel. I don't know if the stories are true or not but I've read horror stories by some people who thought they were covered but were not
Thanks FassPasser on the tip. I'll have to check my work insurance if I'm covered for oversea travel.

We are the next group to have online booking I believe so hopefully things stay as they are for excursions. We are booking adult only excursions so maybe they will be less in demand?
I'm not sure if you are looking to book Best of Rome (CV 25) but I saw it is now shown as sold out. The adult only departure is still available.

I called DCL to check when our formal night is because I don't want to miss out on Captain's Dinner (lobster night) by going to Palo. I was told this is our rotation.

Sunday July 9 Formal night - silver anniversary at sea fireworks
This is interesting! I’d assumed our first sea day would be formal night and booked bbb for my daughter that day. Thanks for the update

Hello! Is anyone else going on this cruise? Our family is planning to be on this cruise and we are hoping to find some information about this trip.

1. What to do our port day in Livorno (Florence)? We were planning to visit the Accademia Gallery and Uffizi Gallery but it seemed they are both closed on Monday, July 10, 2023 when we are there.
2. Anyone planning to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome? Is the train station very far from port? How easy is it to navigate the subway station in Rome city centre to get on the right train to the Spanish Steps?
3. How far is the Barcelona port from airport? Since we are arriving back in Barcelona at 8am on debarkation day, is it too rush to have our flight home at noon?

Love to meet some people on this cruise.
The distance between Barcelona cruise terminal to the Barcelona airport is 15.3 km.
The Disney cruise on debarkation day do get you off the ship early but them again you need to get to the airport early to check in and to go through security. I'm not sure how long the queue is to go through security at Barcelona airport so that's one thing to consider as well if you have a flight at noon. So these are 3 things to consider if you'll or not have enough time to catch the flight at noon your transport time roughly 30 mins, check in time and queue to go through security.

If the flight on debarkation day doesn't work out I'd give Disney cruise line a call as they got 2 preferred pre/post hotels in Barcelona and they are Hilton Diagonal Mar and the other one is Renaissance Barcelona Hotel.
Here's a travel guide from Disney cruise line about pre/post cruise information on Barcelona. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ports/barcelona-spain/

The distance between Barcelona cruise terminal to the Barcelona airport is 15.3 km.
Oh no, the dreaded metric system. Does Siri work in Europe?

I can't use a TA or book DCL cruises online, I have to call and do it over the phone. During that call Disney offered me the two hotel choices mentioned by Kevin O'Brien in the previous post. I booked a room and transfers before and after the cruise. Because I did everything through Disney it should be a seamless arrival and departure.

Last edited:
Hello! Is anyone else going on this cruise? Our family is planning to be on this cruise and we are hoping to find some information about this trip.

1. What to do our port day in Livorno (Florence)? We were planning to visit the Accademia Gallery and Uffizi Gallery but it seemed they are both closed on Monday, July 10, 2023 when we are there.
2. Anyone planning to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome? Is the train station very far from port? How easy is it to navigate the subway station in Rome city centre to get on the right train to the Spanish Steps?
3. How far is the Barcelona port from airport? Since we are arriving back in Barcelona at 8am on debarkation day, is it too rush to have our flight home at noon?

Love to meet some people on this cruise.

On a prior cruise, my family and I walked to the train station and took the train to Rome. I wouldn’t do that again. It was very chaotic. Lots of people, lots of luggage, all waiting for the train.

Oh no, the dreaded metric system. Does Siri work in Europe?

I can't use a TA or book DCL cruises online, I have to call and do it over the phone. During that call Disney offered me the two hotel choices mentioned by Kevin O'Brien in the previous post. I booked a room and transfers before and after the cruise. Because I did everything through Disney it should be a seamless arrival and departure.
Yes you can use a travel agent or book online for a Disney cruise. I was just letting you know that Disney cruise line can arrange flights or pre/post hotels on the phone.
I'm just going by information on the official Disney cruise line website here https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ports/barcelona-spain/

Yes you can use a travel agent or book online for a Disney cruise. I was just letting you know that Disney cruise line can arrange flights or pre/post hotels on the phone.
Just to clarify I didn't mean to imply that other people can't use a TA or do it online, it's just that unless I want to pay full price, the web site and TAs are not set up to handle Disney retirees. I wish they were.

Just to update for us since it is an exciting night with our Booking window opening for Silver. We got all the excursions we wanted. Only one I saw sold out in any port was Best of Rome. Also, got Palo Brunch on the first sea day! So if you were interested in Palo Brunch, might want to go back and check now since it seems those reservations have been loaded. Getting more real now!

Happy Easter!
We also booked last night and got almost everything we wanted. There was a tour going to Mt. Vesuvisus and Pompeii that didn't show up but we had a back up ready to go and got that. Either excursion was fine so not disappointed. We debated on the night of Palo and ended up with Wednesday night. We are all adults so pirate night was not something we are as excited about as everyone else. I was also able to book the Liqueur and Chocolate tasting! My son and I facetimed as we booked things. Since we are in 2 different rooms, we linked our reservations so we could book for all of us but we didn't realize we couldn't both book at the same time. It was an interesting twist.

The Disney cruise on debarkation day do get you off the ship early but them again you need to get to the airport early to check in and to go through security. I'm not sure how long the queue is to go through security at Barcelona airport so that's one thing to consider as well if you have a flight at noon. So these are 3 things to consider if you'll or not have enough time to catch the flight at noon your transport time roughly 30 mins, check in time and queue to go through security.

Thanks for the tip. We booked DCL bus for our trip back to Barcelona airport. Hopefully the bus will take us there on time for our flight home. I did manage to change our flight to 1pm.

Thanks for the hotel suggestions post cruise, unfortunately both DH and I have to work right after our trip, so can not extend our stay in Barcelona post debarkation. Hope the jet lag will be less coming home.

On a prior cruise, my family and I walked to the train station and took the train to Rome. I wouldn’t do that again. It was very chaotic. Lots of people, lots of luggage, all waiting for the train.
Are you on our cruise as well vacay77? :welcome: Did you buy your train tickets online from www.trenitalia.com or did you have to line up for tickets at the station? I heard that you can purchase your tickets ahead of time and save time that way. Also I thought that there is a bus for 3 euros per person that take you to the station, so you don't need to walk.

Also, got Palo Brunch on the first sea day! So if you were interested in Palo Brunch, might want to go back and check now since it seems those reservations have been loaded. Getting more real now!
Wow! Congrats gatechfan99 on snagging the Palo Brunch reservation! I have to check back on DCL website to see if someone cancel.
We also booked last night and got almost everything we wanted
That's good to hear you were able to book most of the things you wanted. Exactly 3 months from today we will be on the ship!

Last edited:
We booked our own Rome tour so we will need to catch a train to Rome. Sounds like we need to leave extra time for this. Does anyone know if it is as crowded coming back? I would hate to be late for sail away.

Another step in planning marked off. We got our transfers to the hotel pre and post cruise added.

In case anyone was wondering, you can get transfers to or from the ship to either Hilton Diagonal Mar or Renaissance Barcelona. We're staying Hilton at the start and then Renaissance for a night after the cruise to be in a different area of town.

We're staying Hilton at the start and then Renaissance for a night after the cruise to be in a different area of town.
Great point, hadn't crossed my mind to alternate hotels. We're staying at the Hilton before and after, maybe I'll change it.

I just looked to see what is still available, only inside cabins. Looks like this voyage may have more people on it than I originally thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter