July 4th week eating and drinking our way through the world with 4 kids

It's tomorrow...waiting for the next review :rolleyes1

Seriously, your reviews are great! Very informative and very refreshing!!

Oops sorry I got caught up in real life yesterday forgot to post the Rain disaster..... On July 6th we went to MK, dined at the regulars by now...Bakery(same as always yummy) and lunch at Columbia Harbour house but this time a horrible surprise. Now you may recall DH's starvation attack after the last time we split the tuna sandwich so this time he wanted his own meal. So he got the fish and chips and I stuck with the tuna(loved it the first time why not stick with a winner) WHY NOT!!! HERE's WHY NOT... they put in celery this time! Big stinking hunks of celery. I took my first bite and was enjoying it but then thought something is different. hmmm... then I saw it a big piece of celery sticking out of my sandwich. Now I don't know if I just missed it all the first time(I don't think so) Or that a different person made the tuna this day(think so bad bad person....) but I couldn't eat it. Mental I know- but once I see celery I am done in - it is my cryptonite. So I stole a piece of DH's fish(yum) and we left. Because of the unspeakable addition of the celery to the tuna the Columbia suffers by with a pirate: for today.
Now we had big plans for dinner. We were heading to Epcot and over to Marakesh(woohoo belly dancing.. :woohoo: ) But as we boarded the boat to head back to the Poly the skies opened up. Now this was not the typical pm thunderstorm, this was more of a deluge. When we got back to the room we debated over making the attempt- but that loooooooonnnnnnnggggg walk through world showcase in the pouring rain scared us away. So I called dinding to cancel our ressie in case someone else wanted to go and tried to book something closer to the hotel. Well they had Kona for us! As this is our favorite we jumped on it. Only problem was that it wasn't until 8.(remember 4 kids here....) But oh well we decided to try to go a little early- my table mojo and all. So we did the most amazing through the longhouse trip to make it to the lobby... and that was where we saw it... a huge line down the hall(where Captain Cook's used to be) the saddest bunch I had seen at Disney. All wearing flower leis- but not a one looked like hulaing. So I learned something that night. They do not always cancel the luau in the rain. (even though it says weather permitting...) So all these dripping people were in a "holding pattern" as it were. They were not seating them for the dinner... but they were holding their money...so no one wanted to leave. YIKES! It was ugly. I can't imagine a more stormy day that would warrant a cancelation(ok maybe a hurricane) One family asked if they could come back to our room and have a pizza. Sorry family we are headed to KONA- SUCKERS!!!!!!!- ok not really but I was very happy that I had opted not to book the luau this year. So we get up to Kona a good 30 minutes early and surprise surprise they have a table for us. Now we are noticing tons of people milling around- thinking they are angry luauers we go on with our ordering. Then we realize it is Conventioners! There was an "educational summit" taking place at Disney. And some of the educators were hanging at the Poly.Talked to some and told them about the yummy Sand in Your Pants drink. Boy those teachers knew how to PARTY. :rolleyes1 who needs belly dancers!
Ok to the food... I stayed with the safe and reliable Mahi (*even though I was shocked by my tuna earlier I had faith what can I say I am a very trusting soul) DH went for the Terryaki Steak this time. And the kids... well same old same old.... I don't think I mentioned the yummy bread last time- it is a rosemary bread with an olive oil dipping sauce. Sounds good right... But they made it even more delicious with the addition of Parmesan*sorry I can't spell* Cheese and some yummy spices like pepper and more rosemary. Just perfect. Now we are waiting and waiting for our food. Sipping my sand feeling fine. Food comes- DH licks his plate. Loves it as I had with it at room service a good solid steak! My Mahi was delicious as always although a little smaller than the previous night and not as hot... but I will cut them slack as the place was more crowded than I had ever seen. We ordered those yummy Chocolate Volcano things again- 3 of them!! a la mode thank you very much. And used my DDE again. But the surprise was that this time the bill was less than last time- and we ordered more food? :confused3 I couldn't see where anything was left off so ... I just happily paid the bill and chalked it up to another good Kona meal pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate: . I would eat that Mahi off the floor if that was all that was available it is that good!
Next up...Teppanyaki lunch and Concourse dinner..... stay with me people.... lol

So which was better, the Mahi Mahi or the Tepp. Steak?? I'm trying to decide between the two for our upcoming trip! :teeth:

I love them both but prefer the Mahi-lighter and we are there in July so I am always in the mood for lighter*can't you tell by all my dessert choices :lmao:

java.........love these reviews.

Now I'm wondering if I should change one of my ADR's in favor of Ohana's. We ate there a long time ago.........loved it. But this time we went with some restaurants that we haven't been to, like Alfredo's. Ohhhhh,,,,,,what to do, what to do.......... :surfweb:

I really enjoy your reviews they are just great. Can wait for the next one :) I think I am more excited about all the eating I will be doing than anything else. (I love eating out but DH loves my cooking so this will be great)

Mom of Sleepy said:
java.........love these reviews.

Now I'm wondering if I should change one of my ADR's in favor of Ohana's. We ate there a long time ago.........loved it. But this time we went with some restaurants that we haven't been to, like Alfredo's. Ohhhhh,,,,,,what to do, what to do.......... :surfweb:
I have an Alfredo review coming up........ :thumbsup2

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed your reviews! We'll be celebrating our anniversary at the World and because of your glowing praise we'll be having dinner at Kona!!! :goodvibes

I'm loving your reviews! We love everything Polynesian, Ohana, Kona, even Capt Cooks. :) We didn't try the room service last time, maybe this time we will!! :dance3:

Loving your reviews, Java.

We booked Kona for our October trip because I'd heard so many good things. So happy to see you agree!! Also reluctantly doing Alfredo's. Can't wait to hear what you thought! My next two trips are Soooooo about the food!! Lots of adult-only time and can't wait to try some new places.

Thanks for sharing!!

Love your reviews - we have similar taste.

Now I've got to get off my butt and get my own dining reviews started. We were home for three days and then off to 6 days at the Jersey shore - now I'm finally getting back to the DIS!

Can't wait to see the rest of your reviews.

Thanks for the reviews! Love the Kona, too! Looking forward to hearing about Alfredo's. We leave in 8 days!

Hi Java,

Can you tell me how old the baby is? I am going in December with a 4 year old and a 17 month old and I'm very nervous about how the trip is going to go with the little one. Did you by any chance write a trip report also? If so, can you link it to me? Thanks so much! I need some reassurance here, lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter