Johnny Depp on POTC ride?

minoh

Somewhere over the rainbow
I read recently that Johnny Depp would at times don a Jack Sparrow costume and take part in POTC as part of the characters when he happened to be in WDW. Maybe this was years ago or maybe just a rumour. Does anyone know if there is any truth to it? Just curious.

I've read that rumor years ago and I've always thought it was pretty far fetched and wouldn't happen.

He would need to get dressed all up, find a random spot to go to (they wouldn't move an animatronic), and after 5 min he would be over it. Not to mention if he somehow got hurt. And then it's 100% certain that someone would know it's him and jump out a boat to go over.

Yes I do believe he did it ONE TIME at DL just after the character was added to the ride.
It's not something he just does on a regular basis for fun or anything.
Perhaps they will have him do it again to promote the newest POTC movie but I doubt it.

I do think he did it once in Disneyland when the movies first came out. But it's not a thing that happens often.

Isn't it in the special features in the second movie? Once they had added him to the ride? It wasn't a normal ride; it was just his group and it was professionally filmed. (obv I need to rewatch that special feature...) And it was him getting a better look at one of his animatronics if I recall correctly.

The animatronics for his character at POTC in WDW is so extremely realistic it's crazy, I've often wondered if he was actually in the ride himself haha!

I am surprised that after the test attraction at DHS (Legend of Jack Sparrow) that we haven't seen more use of that type of projection technology in other attractions yet.

Haha, that would be sure to freak out a few people!
I met a guy that was a CM at Pirates who told me he showed up for work one day and WAS working side by side with Johnny loading boats. It was before the first movie and he was told that he was researching a movie role. He said he did all of the jobs that day. Not sure how true this is, but you know....

I am surprised that after the test attraction at DHS (Legend of Jack Sparrow) that we haven't seen more use of that type of projection technology in other attractions yet.

According to some people, that attraction was a test for PotC in Shanghai Disneyland. And that does make sense. There's some really amazing projections in that ride.

According to some people, that attraction was a test for PotC in Shanghai Disneyland. And that does make sense. There's some really amazing projections in that ride.

I didn't know that... but I'd love to see the tech hit again in Florida.

He does dress up as Captain Jack Sparrow and visit children in the hospital.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter