Job Rejection Rant

Arielfan98

DIS Veteran
I just got out of the military and am looking for doggy daycare attendant/kennel attendant/vet receptionist part time positions in my area and my luck just sucks. I think what pisses me off more than anything is some employers don't even see my application or will reject me simply because I have no experience but am willing to learn. The jobs I apply to say experience is preferred but those willing to learn are allowed. I'll see them put out new listings for the same job that they either ignored my application to or rejected me from. I know I am qualified or at least worthy of a phone interview. Rant over.

I just got out of the military and am looking for doggy daycare attendant/kennel attendant/vet receptionist part time positions in my area and my luck just sucks. I think what pisses me off more than anything is some employers don't even see my application or will reject me simply because I have no experience but am willing to learn. The jobs I apply to say experience is preferred but those willing to learn are allowed. I'll see them put out new listings for the same job that they either ignored my application to or rejected me from. I know I am qualified or at least worthy of a phone interview. Rant over.
If places are looking, Ariel, you WILL land a job, trust me. You have the determination, I can hear it. And your military background will be a plus factor for those places that will give you time to interview. And there will be places, there will. Just keep going forward, don't look behind you.

I had a hard time getting a job when I got out of the military too. It took me almost 2 months to just to get an offer and all the jobs I applied for were basic data entry/receptionist type jobs. I seriously underestimated how long it would take and it was depressing. Fast forward through a few jobs and now I have my dream job in part to my boss also having been in the military. Good luck to you! I know you'll get there.

Update: After applying to several places, I ended up getting 3 interviews. I wanted to work at the first place but they turned me down for a more experienced candidate so I was disappointed. Next place wanted to hire me on the spot but I didn't feel it was the right fit for me. 3rd time is the charm! I interviewed yesterday and they liked me so much that they called me later in the day to hire me! I drove over this morning to sign the papers and I'm officially an employee at my dream job. Thanks everyone for your support.

3rd time is the charm! I interviewed yesterday and they liked me so much that they called me later in the day to hire me! I drove over this morning to sign the papers and I'm officially an employee at my dream job. Thanks everyone for your support.
Way to go, Ariel!!! Very happy for you. :cool1: Wishing you much happiness and success with your new dream job!!

Update: After applying to several places, I ended up getting 3 interviews. I wanted to work at the first place but they turned me down for a more experienced candidate so I was disappointed. Next place wanted to hire me on the spot but I didn't feel it was the right fit for me. 3rd time is the charm! I interviewed yesterday and they liked me so much that they called me later in the day to hire me! I drove over this morning to sign the papers and I'm officially an employee at my dream job. Thanks everyone for your support.

OMG how wonderful is this ! Congratulations. Please do come back and tell us how you are enjoying it!

OMG how wonderful is this ! Congratulations. Please do come back and tell us how you are enjoying it!

UPDATE 5/4/21: Unfortunately, I am unable to keep this job due to unforeseen circumstances in my personal life. I have to leave NY and move to VA to be with family. I was going to come on here to ask for advice, especially if any of you guys are business owners. I truthfully was not a fan of the job, but would have stayed there if my housing situation was different.
1. I am moving June 1, so should I tell them I need to quit ASAP? Is over the phone ok?
2. I feel bad and don't want them to think the job was too overwhelming. They did an excellent job training me and I appreciate the opportunity. Is there a polite way to do this?
Thanks.

UPDATE 5/4/21: Unfortunately, I am unable to keep this job due to unforeseen circumstances in my personal life. I have to leave NY and move to VA to be with family. I was going to come on here to ask for advice, especially if any of you guys are business owners. I truthfully was not a fan of the job, but would have stayed there if my housing situation was different.
1. I am moving June 1, so should I tell them I need to quit ASAP? Is over the phone ok?
2. I feel bad and don't want them to think the job was too overwhelming. They did an excellent job training me and I appreciate the opportunity. Is there a polite way to do this?
Thanks.

I am sorry to read this news.
As a former business owner, I would appreciate you being honest. I think you should do it in person. I think exactly what you wrote in 2) is perfect. They will know the training was excellent for the next person, you will not have burnt any bridges, and if ever you need a reference, this remains an option for you. I think over the phone is just not right, but that’s my two cents.
Best of luck to you in VA. 🌈

As a former business owner, I would appreciate you being honest. I think you should do it in person. I think exactly what you wrote in 2) is perfect. They will know the training was excellent for the next person, you will not have burnt any bridges, and if ever you need a reference, this remains an option for you. I think over the phone is just not right, but that’s my two cents.
I will let them know in person tomorrow, thank you!

UPDATE 5/5/21: My boss was more than understanding! I'm so glad it went well and she appreciated that I told her asap. Thanks everyone.

Many of those jobs at smaller places are advertised on Craig's List. WEIRD I know. Also a smaller place will be more likely to try you out without experience. I started at a pediatricans office front desk, no experience. My daughter started at a place that did OT and PT. She is now works at a large animal hospital, started at front desk there, and now is a vet assistant as well. Hang in there!

UPDATE 5/5/21: My boss was more than understanding! I'm so glad it went well and she appreciated that I told her asap. Thanks everyone.
That's great, Ariel. Stick with it. Best wishes on your move along with your new job. Let us know how it goes.

Open offer to the OP or anyone else in this thread struggling during these still-awful economic and employment times. Part of my job duties at work are to help build/polish resumes. So I'm happy to help ANYONE here in the DIS family. If you think another pair of eyes wouldn't hurt in reviewing your current resume, please reach out. No charge, just an offer of support to my fellow Disney fanatics. If you're getting interviews, then at least your resume is working, but who knows. Maybe one little tweak here or there would help improve your chances of candidacy. Sometimes it's the little things. No lie, I had one person in my class include this bullet: *Excellent attention to detail.. Of ALL the bullets to include a double period, it's certainly not when you're boasting about having great attention to detail.

If you feel a resume review would be helpful, please PM me and I'll do my best to get right back to ya! If there is something small I can do to help a person get back to work, it would be my absolute honor.

Last edited:
Accidentally got into this topic. I had a very similar situation. I wanted to become a programmer, but they didn't want to take me anywhere. I was so offended. I went through a lot of co-interviews. And only one company believed in me. thanks Legal Fles

It was ment to be, you would not have found this job if one of the places you just applied at took you.
Thank you for your service btw!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter