• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jiminy's June 2015 W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge!! Any and All welcome to join!!

Hey all! Looks like I missed lots of chatter here yesterday! I'll catch up in a bit. With DD home, yesterday ended up being a day of "gotta get it done" errands.... some fun (lunch out at our favorite "fast food" mexican place) and not-so-fun (car repairs and inspections) and kinda-fun (new Iphone for DD since hers was acting up). We hit the local "downtown market days" while waiting for the car repairs and managed to only indulge in a sample of Dunkin Donuts Oreo cookie iced coffee flavor.... no other goodies even though they smelled delicious!

I'm realizing since my progress post for last week disappeared and it is now Friday, I will just update for this week. Try to have those results (percentage achieved toward goal is all I need) here on the thread or in a PM to me by tomorrow night and I'll post a COLORFUL progress post!

Off to post the QOTD!...............P

This is our NEXT TO LAST Friday QOTD for the month! It has FLOWN BY! QOTD for Friday, June 26, 2015:

Friday-Fun-Fact-KS-Blog-420x280.jpg

TWENTY UNUSUAL WAYS TO BURN CALORIES!!

(The results are based on an average 150 pound human.)

1. Singing in the shower can burn an extra 10-20 Calories per song, depending on the volume and pitch of your voice.
  2. Laughing for 10 minutes can make you burn between 20 and 40 Calories.
  3. You burn about 200 Calories during 30 minutes of active sex.
  4. Banging your head against a wall uses 150 Calories an hour.
  5. On average, brushing your teeth for three minutes will burn 10 Calories.
  6. Pushing a shopping trolley up the aisles for half an hour will burn over 100 Calories, this number increases with the amount you put in your trolley and the heavier it gets.
  7. One hour spent sitting in front of the TV burns around 65 Calories.
  8. Smoking a cigarette burns roughly 10 Calories.
  9. Dancing on a Dance Mat for 10 minutes will burn 50-60 Calories.
  10. Hugging for one hour can burn 70 Calories.
  11. If you whip your head back and forth to Willow Smiths song, you will burn up to 50 Calories, depending on how crazy you go.
  12. A one minute kiss can burn between 2 and 4 Calories, depending on how intimate it is.
  13. A person will burn 7 percent more calories if they walk on hard dirt compared to pavement.
  14. You burn more calories than you consume when you eat celery.
  15. On average, if you walk your dog for 30 minutes, you burn 100 Calories.
  16. You burn more calories sitting in the cold, than heat.
  17. Chewing gum burns 11 Calories per hour.
  18. You can burn up to 350 more Calories per day if you fidget, rather than someone who remains stationary.
  19. Missing a night of sleep causes the body to burn about an extra 161 calories.
  20. Constant texting can burn 40 Calories per hour.
(thanks to thefactsite.com for this information!)

What is the most UNUSUAL way that you use to burn extra calories???

BONUS QUESTION:

In honor of FUN FRIDAY..... what is the MOST FUN THING you are looking forward to this summer????

How really careful and vigilant I have to be. Thursday it dawned on me that I had lost 7 pounds this month. I knew I was losing but it was a little bit at a time. It wasn't until I checked my chart from the beginning of the month that I realized how much.

But, there's always a but, Thursday was my treat day. I had 1 treat. I hopped on the scale Friday morning to find myself up 2 pounds from Thursday. I couldn't figure how I gained 2 pounds overnight and that depressed me so I had 2 treats on Friday. I hopped on the scale Saturday and I was up another 2 pounds. That really depressed me so I had 2 treats Saturday, hopped on the scale Sunday and was up another 2 pounds. At that point I was up 6 pounds in 3 days where it took me almost 3 weeks to lose 7 pounds.

For Father's Day we always have a cookout at my dad's. There were very few healthy choices and being up 6 pounds up, I made the really bad choice to enjoy the desserts. Hopped on the scale today and I'm up another 2 more pounds. That's 8 pounds up, 1 pound more from when I started this, in less than a week. :sad2:

I never would have imagined how quickly it could all come back on. That's just flooring me.
I hear you loud and clear! Just a little extra almond butter or one extra graham cracker over a couple days and the ounces come right back. It is amazing how long it takes to loose, yet very little time to gain.

This is our NEXT TO LAST Friday QOTD for the month! It has FLOWN BY! QOTD for Friday, June 26, 2015:

View attachment 105606

TWENTY UNUSUAL WAYS TO BURN CALORIES!!

(The results are based on an average 150 pound human.)

1. Singing in the shower can burn an extra 10-20 Calories per song, depending on the volume and pitch of your voice.
  2. Laughing for 10 minutes can make you burn between 20 and 40 Calories.
  3. You burn about 200 Calories during 30 minutes of active ***.
  4. Banging your head against a wall uses 150 Calories an hour.
  5. On average, brushing your teeth for three minutes will burn 10 Calories.
  6. Pushing a shopping trolley up the aisles for half an hour will burn over 100 Calories, this number increases with the amount you put in your trolley and the heavier it gets.
  7. One hour spent sitting in front of the TV burns around 65 Calories.
  8. Smoking a cigarette burns roughly 10 Calories.
  9. Dancing on a Dance Mat for 10 minutes will burn 50-60 Calories.
  10. Hugging for one hour can burn 70 Calories.
  11. If you whip your head back and forth to Willow Smiths song, you will burn up to 50 Calories, depending on how crazy you go.
  12. A one minute kiss can burn between 2 and 4 Calories, depending on how intimate it is.
  13. A person will burn 7 percent more calories if they walk on hard dirt compared to pavement.
  14. You burn more calories than you consume when you eat celery.
  15. On average, if you walk your dog for 30 minutes, you burn 100 Calories.
  16. You burn more calories sitting in the cold, than heat.
  17. Chewing gum burns 11 Calories per hour.
  18. You can burn up to 350 more Calories per day if you fidget, rather than someone who remains stationary.
  19. Missing a night of sleep causes the body to burn about an extra 161 calories.
  20. Constant texting can burn 40 Calories per hour.
(thanks to thefactsite.com for this information!)

BONUS QUESTION:

In honor of FUN FRIDAY..... what is the MOST FUN THING you are looking forward to this summer????

My check-in for the week: down another 2lbs! Not as exciting as my 6lb loss last week, but I also didn't do much of anything exercise-wise this week, so I really can't complain. That puts me at 80% of my June goal. Definitely have to kick it in gear this weekend if I'm going to lose that last 2!

Don't tell DH2B that smoking burns calories - I'm trying to get him to quit, but he also needs to lose weight, too! The dilemma. :rotfl: Some of those facts sound like more trouble than they're worth, lol. I did get a good giggle picture people hugging for an hour, though. I just envisioned 2 people with their arms wrapped around each other, but still trying to get stuff done around the house. Also, that missing a night of sleep thing... I'm not sure that staying up 24 hours straight is worth 161 calories! I'd much rather just eat less that day and sleep more. Granted I know that's not a recommendation list by any means!

I don't do anything intentionally weird to burn calories, but I do some of the things on that list!

We don't really have any fun plans for the summer! All of our plans are "things we have to get done before the wedding" plans... I've got another shower in July thrown by my maid of honor, though, so we'll count that!

I have a feeling that this is going to be me! I don't know what I'll do with myself come November 1st, when the wedding and Disney trip are over and I won't have a billion things to get done every day. I know it'll be years before we're financially able to go back (DH2B is planning to go back to school to finish his degree after the wedding and we're hoping to be able to buy a house in 2017), but that doesn't mean I can't plan for Disney now, right? Lol. Maybe we'll get to go again sometime in 2018...
Okay....yes...Disney planning has been pretty constant since last November. But....there is always another trip to plan! I also enjoy cruise planning...you can find some really good deals online. But I have to say...I'm always looking at food options for all my trips. It is an obsession!

My check in for the week...such as it is. I did not join the gym. My back is out and I don't want to start until that is under control. It's been out for about a month and it is very discouraging. I periodically have back issues....overdid cleaning out my barn...heavy lifting bins and such. The good news is that I have one week left of radiation treatment! Yeah! So then I can focus on my back. Just too much driving to add the chiropractor into the mix....but believe me...I'm getting close. Okay..Weight...this is pretty discouraging too....but I'm keeping on my happy face. Lost 1.5 pounds....gained 1.3. So I'm up 2 ounces (loss for week). LOL! I did overdo on almond butter and graham crackers. So...back to carefully planning my snacks. Got to switch back to rice cakes....less calories. Things I learned this week: "Just like sugar." Apparently this an all natural sweetener made from chickory root and orange peels. I'm going to try it. The artificial sweeteners are just not healthy. Don't eat too many graham crackers....but they taste so good! Those tiny little portions of frozen weight watchers dinners are just too small. They add extra calories by using sauces which reduces the actual amount of food. I'd rather eat fresh veges, bigger portions, than add high calorie sauces. Drink more water! Always hard to do....but it does fill you up more. So...goal for next week: Finish radiation. Go see chiropractor. Start walking to the mail box. I have knee issues too, so I'm on my second shot of ortho visc for that issue. My god.....I guess I have a lot going on....must be why I ate those extra grahams! LOL! Everyone have a great weekend!

I have a feeling that this is going to be me! I don't know what I'll do with myself come November 1st, when the wedding and Disney trip are over and I won't have a billion things to get done every day. I know it'll be years before we're financially able to go back (DH2B is planning to go back to school to finish his degree after the wedding and we're hoping to be able to buy a house in 2017), but that doesn't mean I can't plan for Disney now, right? Lol. Maybe we'll get to go again sometime in 2018...

Exactly! I hope that every year is a Disney year. Planning for it just makes it seem like it could happen, even if it doesn't. (BTW congrats on your upcoming marriage!)

Okay....yes...Disney planning has been pretty constant since last November. But....there is always another trip to plan! I also enjoy cruise planning...you can find some really good deals online. But I have to say...I'm always looking at food options for all my trips. It is an obsession!
Yes! The food. I'm always looking at the menus and pictures. I have food bucket lists each trip. May not be the healthiest thing in the world but calories don't count in Disney right? :rolleyes:

Exactly! I hope that every year is a Disney year. Planning for it just makes it seem like it could happen, even if it doesn't. (BTW congrats on your upcoming marriage!)

Thank you so much!! Hopefully soon the excitement will kick in! LOL. Right now I'm much more excited about the Disneymoon than the wedding, but that's just because there's so much left to be done.

Yes! The food. I'm always looking at the menus and pictures. I have food bucket lists each trip. May not be the healthiest thing in the world but calories don't count in Disney right? :rolleyes:

This! I have already resolved myself to the fact that I will completely fall off the healthy eating wagon at the end of October. All that walking will completely counteract all that eating, right?? :goodvibes

Hello everyone! I hope you all have a great Friday! Here it is finally lovely warm and sunny and I am looking forward to a warm summer weekend. Next week we are supposed to get a heat wave... Why can't it just be normal. This week we had temperatures in the 60s, next weeks it might be 90!

I am still not doing so good. Had a lot of chocolate this morning. Don't ask why. I just did. But, that can't be changed. I also have trouble tracking, but I guess as soon as I have finished with this post, I should track all my chocolate and just move on.

Hopefully I can get restarted with an exercise routine now that my back is good again. I wanted to do something yesterday evening, but then got sidetracked by a neighbourhood event. However, it was an important thing and it involved being outside and walking around.

In order to up my step count with my fitbit I started to walk around when I am waiting for something (like for the traffic light to turn green when I want to cross a street). I also walk around my appartment while brushing my teeth.

My check-in for the week: down another 2lbs! Not as exciting as my 6lb loss last week, but I also didn't do much of anything exercise-wise this week, so I really can't complain. That puts me at 80% of my June goal. Definitely have to kick it in gear this weekend if I'm going to lose that last 2!

Well done!!

So...goal for next week: Finish radiation. Go see chiropractor. Start walking to the mail box.

Sounds like a good plan for the next week! Hopefully you will be able to resist the almond butter!

Absolutely! Zero Calories for Disney Vacation! Yahoo!

Accomplished today: just now: Cleaned out my freezer. Got rid of everything that was lost in there! Kept: 2 frozen zucchini breads (for company) LOL! Kept: two baggies of cinnamon raisin bread for bread pudding (Holiday Treat). I am working on switching all my plastic to glass or other non BPA containers. It is an arduous process. Going to get my knees shot up! I'm off....TaTa!

Checking in. I'm down another lb so that's 90% of my goal. So happy. I've been wanting a fitbit to help me and yesterday DH surprised me with one :love:.

I have already resolved myself to the fact that I will completely fall off the healthy eating wagon at the end of October. All that walking will completely counteract all that eating, right?? :goodvibes

I know how you feel. We go in Nov this yr. I stare at the menus like they are evil. Lol. DH jokes and says just walk it off. Have a wonderful Disneymoon!

I have all my favorite desserts, at each and every restaurant written down on a list with price and location. I will be bringing this list with me every day. But until then, November, I am battening down the hatches! I'm eating a kale salad with carrots, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, banana rings and 1 oz. of chicken for lunch. It's a little tough chewing the kale....lol! This is what I call a planned cheat. And....boy am I planning!

I pace while I'm on the phone. I can't manage to stay still while talking on the phone, so I use that time to get in some extra steps!

Baseball! I love going to baseball games during the summer. I haven't been to one yet (and it's already almost the end of June!), but I usually make it to 3-4 minor league games and 1-2 major league games, and I really love it!

My check-in: After a rough week of overeating, I'm up again (but still down for the month) ... I'm at 12% now. I need to get my eating under control ... but I'm trying not to stress out about it too much, because that just makes me eat more!

I love to read , I can often forget everything and totally get wrapped up in a different world. A good book is a treat !!!

Down one pound from yesterday! I think it was the Kale Salad I ate. Kale, sunflower seeds, tomatoes and banana rings topped with balsamic vinegar and one packet of Truvia. (Switching to "just like sugar") This morning I'm eating Scottish Oatmeal with 1 tbsp. walnuts and 1 tbsp. hemp and flax seed with 1/2 banana. I'm drinking one large glass of water w lemon and 1 cup of tea with almond milk. I hope everyone has a great food weekend!

Well after 27 days of being very aware of my goals I lost more than I thought...I am very happy and feeling grateful to this thread as it makes me feel like Im not the only one with crazy food thoughts and issues. I have pushed myself to walk 500 extra steps each day from the previous day and I did it every day but one. I know the neighbors must think Im crazy cause 2 nights at 9pm I was just walking up and down the street....The minute the steps got to 500 extra I bee-lined it for my house...no marathon runner here!!! I also challenged myself to use no added salt this week ( I use way to much salt) and it was very difficult but may have helped the ankles. I am feeling focused and confident and just need to be happy while Im in this place cause I know there are so many temptations lurking around the weekends!!!! Best of luck to everyone. I have had weight issues my entire life and wish I could finally learn from my mistakes...losing feels so much better than gaining, and believe me at 4 feet 11 inches it doesn't take many pieces of cake to change my entire look!!! :rotfl:
Thanks so much for the great conversations and support in the June Jiminy Challenge :tigger::donald:

Well after 27 days of being very aware of my goals I lost more than I thought...I am very happy and feeling grateful to this thread as it makes me feel like Im not the only one with crazy food thoughts and issues. I have pushed myself to walk 500 extra steps each day from the previous day and I did it every day but one. I know the neighbors must think Im crazy cause 2 nights at 9pm I was just walking up and down the street....The minute the steps got to 500 extra I bee-lined it for my house...no marathon runner here!!! I also challenged myself to use no added salt this week ( I use way to much salt) and it was very difficult but may have helped the ankles. I am feeling focused and confident and just need to be happy while Im in this place cause I know there are so many temptations lurking around the weekends!!!! Best of luck to everyone. I have had weight issues my entire life and wish I could finally learn from my mistakes...losing feels so much better than gaining, and believe me at 4 feet 11 inches it doesn't take many pieces of cake to change my entire look!!! :rotfl:
Thanks so much for the great conversations and support in the June Jiminy Challenge :tigger::donald:
Keeping walking girlfriend! I'm not there yet....no exercise for me...at all. I have a knee thing going on and am getting my shots...but today...I'm going to go for a little walk to the mailbox. Every step counts! And...you are definitely not alone! I am constantly thinking about food...when is my next meal...my next snack....what time is it! I tell myself "just sit with the hunger, get up and go do something." It never ends. So you have friends here for sure! Stay strong over the weekend. I'm with you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter