Jiko vs Tiffins

Lauralaylin

Mouseketeer
DH and I are having a WDW trip just the two of us. We haven't been without the kids since 2002, and we want to eat at places our children wouldn't enjoy. We currently have reservations at Jiko, but I was wondering if Tiffins might be a better choice. We are adventurous eaters, but I am a vegetarian and he only does seafood. I don't think we can fit both options into our trip, and we're having a hard time deciding. What would you do? We're also planning on F&G, and we have V&A scheduled.

The food is very good at both. I think it really depends on what type of atmosphere and experience you are looking for and if travel is a consideration. For example, if you are planning on spending all day in AK, I would probably go with Tiffins so you aren't traveling back and forth. However, if you are looking for something more special, I would probably pick Jiko. Tiffins, though good, still feels like you're inside a theme park (IMHO). I like the atmosphere at Jiko, more, if you are looking for something a little more romantic. The pace is slower, AKL is gorgeous to visit, the wine list is excellent, it has a more upscale feel. Regardless of which you choose, I do recommend going to Nomad Lounge if in AK (it's right next to Tiffins) - best cocktails on property IMHO!

That's a tough one. We like both. However, if you can't fit in both, I secod DisneyWishes14's idea of Jiko for dinner and visit the Nomad Lounge. See if you can get a seat on the porch and order the bread service and/or the charcuterie board or one of the other small dishes that they have. That way, you'll get to experience both without taking out the time for a full dinner at both.

We've eaten at both and Recommend Tiffins--it was excellent!! I had the Grouper. Unless you're staying at AKL, I wouldn't go out of your way.

We have had a variety of items at Jiko, as we are there many times.

We ate at Tiffins once. We both had... beef I think? Possibly a short rib plate?
Anyway it was disgusting. We also had an appetizer we could barely choke down.
To better answer your question, we had neither fish nor vegatarian.
In addition we thought the theming was done on the cheap. It looked like a square box with tile floors, and some African decorations on the walls. Definitely no true character (think Sanaa for true character).

MG

My husband and I are both vegetarian and we just had this exact conversation the other day. We eat at Jiko during every trip. They have a separate vegetarian menu with options you don't see on the regular menu. We were debating whether we should change it up and go to Tiffins, but we just can't do it. The peacefulness and beauty of Jiko, along with a menu that actually has choices of vegetarian options (and really good ones) won out for us.
We did like popping into Nomad Lounge the last time we were there for drinks though. A lovely respite in the middle of a hot day.
Good luck.

I agree with eating at Jiko and visiting the bar at Tiffins. When we aren't sure about a new place we always go to the bar first to get a drink and some appetizer or share a meal. That way we can tell if we think it is worth it before we waste a precious table service opportunity in the future. We are trying Jiko for the first time during our trip in July. I have heard enough consistently positive reviews that it is worth it me to take a chance on it. Tiffins is also one that I would like to try but so far it just doesn't feel like a must do to me so I think we will try out the bar.

My husband and I are both vegetarian and we just had this exact conversation the other day. We eat at Jiko during every trip. They have a separate vegetarian menu with options you don't see on the regular menu. We were debating whether we should change it up and go to Tiffins, but we just can't do it. The peacefulness and beauty of Jiko, along with a menu that actually has choices of vegetarian options (and really good ones) won out for us.
We did like popping into Nomad Lounge the last time we were there for drinks though. A lovely respite in the middle of a hot day.
Good luck.

This is interesting. I was gung ho about Jiko until they just changed their menu. The previous vegetarian options sounded good, but now I'm not as impressed with it. I had no idea there was a separate menu just for us. I will have to try to find it.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

This is interesting. I was gung ho about Jiko until they just changed their menu. The previous vegetarian options sounded good, but now I'm not as impressed with it. I had no idea there was a separate menu just for us. I will have to try to find it.

Thank you everyone for your responses!
Now granted, we haven't been since the recent chef/menu change, but they've always provided a separate vegetarian menu before. You just have to ask. They have a vegan one, too, I believe, but we eat dairy so we've never tried it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!