Jiko lovers, tell me why.

I know this is not the response you are looking for, but we did not like Jiko. We have been to other Restaurants of similar caliber...Cali Grill, Flying Fish, Yachtsman's, each of these at least twice. We read the rave reviews about Jiko, so were excited to go there. The food was not as good as the previous mentioned places and it was more expensive. The service was slow and our server was inattentive (probably because he had a table of 20 at the same time). Overall, the good Disney feeling was not there.

I hope that our experience was atypical and the rest of your responses are positive :thumbsup2

We finish off out trips with the last night being dinner at Jiko. The food is fantastic the Filet can be almost cut with a fork and the Halibut coated in maize is also great(has to admit the monkfish was better however). The selection of African wines can't be beat and the flatbreads are delicious as well. The service tends to be a tad on the slow side I will admit but have always felt that the pace is something to look forward to when enjoying a slow dinner.

IN all fairness it has been several years since our last meal at CG. WE did like CG but we love JIKO and honestly I think they're 2 very different types of places. Atmosphere is quite different as well.

WE LOVE JIKO and in all the times we've been there, we have always had a great experience. I've had several things from their menu and they've all been outstanding (some items are no longer on the menu that I've had :guilty: but that's the way it goes sometimes). The service has always been good, never had a problem there either. Price-wise it's pretty much the same as CG, FF and DEFINITELY CHEAPER than YSH, so I don't quite get that one??? :confused3 We went to YSH in Dec. for the first time in a long time and I wasn't all that impressed as this was one of our favs once. Anyway that's besides the point.

JIKO has some authentic ways of preparing their dishes. This was the first place I had monkfish which was just excellent but unfortunately it is no longer on the menu. The cucumber, tomatoe and onion salad is a favorite that I always get and I'm not a big onion fan but the dressing is light with a watermelon taste which is so unique but very pleasing to the palet. And, this past trip (just last week), I tried the filet and it was OUTSTANDING!! Probably one of the best filets I've ever had!! I may get "stuck" on that there now :goodvibes I have to tell you, I went to cut into it and I prefer my meat medium, it was so soft I thought it would be "moooing" but it was done perfect, don't know how they can get the meat so tender after cooking it almost all the way through, just delicious. My dd also likes their grilled cheese. We like sitting by the window where the pond area is. Sometimes there are ducks swimming around which is kinda fun to watch.

Anyway, of course you'll have those who like and those who don't (but many more who DO LIKE)...we heard lots of great reviews before we first tried it and our expectations were met and it's always been consistently good after going back several times in the past few years (wish I could say that of other WDW restaurants). TRY IT!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Jiko & California Grill are our two favorite places to eat at WDW. We have eaten at both many many times and never been disapointed. We always start with a starter and a flatbread at Jiko, then we split a meal ( last time we had the filet & mac & cheese). We just love the atmosphere at Jiko and the AKL so much, it is a beautiful resort. You will not go wrong with eating at either Jiko or CG. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter