Jet Blue just lost my business

So, let's say JB has a direct flight from your origin airport to your destination for $300pp. American, Delta, SW, etc have a connecting flight for $400pp. You wouldn't book JB? *NOTE: assuming the price is "all in" (checked bags, carry on bags, seat assignments, whatever).

So, let's say JB has a direct flight from your origin airport to your destination for $300pp. American, Delta, SW, etc have a connecting flight for $400pp. You wouldn't book JB? *NOTE: assuming the price is "all in" (checked bags, carry on bags, seat assignments, whatever).
That's the problem with Spirit/Frontier/Allegiant/JB Basic. You now have to factor that in. Seems like a cheap marketing gimmick - like adding an "A" to your business name so it appears first in the yellow pages.

FWIW - I am not out on JB - LOVE the airline. I just wish they wouldn't resort to this nonsense.

Just to offer a different perspective, bags have never really been free, they were just included in the price of the ticket.

I understand why this can be frustrating, but more weight simply means more fuel, which is the most expensive part of flying. Airlines are definitely trying to recalculate profit margins now.

This reminds me of when airlines first started charging for checked bags which is now commonplace. Even though we’ve come to expect carryons are included, all those carryons quickly add up to the equivalent of extra people, especially when many travelers are trying to avoid checked bag fees instead of only taking what they need in flight.

I think paying a la carte for carryons like checked bags has some benefits.

It’s a discount for day trippers who don’t need any bags and it encourages some to pay for a checked bag instead of taking massive carryons (which are rarely measured/weighed). Hopefully it frees up more space in the cabin - and lightens the flight load.
I’m wondering when airlines will start asking us to step on the scale with our bags.🤪😳

Just to offer a different perspective, bags have never really been free, they were just included in the price of the ticket.

I understand why this can be frustrating, but more weight simply means more fuel, which is the most expensive part of flying. Airlines are definitely trying to recalculate profit margins now.

This reminds me of when airlines first started charging for checked bags which is now commonplace. Even though we’ve come to expect carryons are included, all those carryons quickly add up to the equivalent of extra people, especially when many travelers are trying to avoid checked bag fees instead of only taking what they need in flight.

I think paying a la carte for carryons like checked bags has some benefits.

It’s a discount for day trippers who don’t need any bags and it encourages some to pay for a checked bag instead of taking massive carryons (which are rarely measured/weighed). Hopefully it frees up more space in the cabin - and lightens the flight load.
I’m wondering when airlines will start asking us to step on the scale with our bags.🤪😳
Baggage fees were originally meant to be a temporary surcharge to help the airlines weather a sudden, unanticipated increase in the price of jet fuel after the 2008 financial meltdown. Funny, you didn't see the fees go away when the price of fuel went back down. Personally I'd like to see them charge for overhead bin space and let you check bags free. It's all the luggage shuffling that takes so long when boarding a plane (and when you get off too).

Well it ll be nice to see the overhead bin space open up regardless of when you step on board. They also changed some other aspects as far as change fees etc.
They re on my list for tomorrow’s call to cancel an April trip.

I can understand the disappointment some are feeling, but in this instance, we won’t be affected. We typically would not book the Blue Basic fares because we do like to choose our seats beforehand, and we will often book Even More Space seats, both of which will allow for overhead bin space.

I think the airlines are trying desperately to remain viable until we are somewhat out of the Pandemic. I’m not naive enough to think they’ll eliminate these fees when things are better.

What the OP also did not mention, is that JetBlue has eliminated change fees on flights booked after 4/1/21 for Blue/Blue Extra/Mint fares. That’s a significant boon to travelers!

https://www.jetblue.com/travel-alerts

I can understand the disappointment some are feeling, but in this instance, we won’t be affected. We typically would not book the Blue Basic fares because we do like to choose our seats beforehand, and we will often book Even More Space seats, both of which will allow for overhead bin space.

I think the airlines are trying desperately to remain viable until we are somewhat out of the Pandemic. I’m not naive enough to think they’ll eliminate these fees when things are better.

What the OP also did not mention, is that JetBlue has eliminated change fees on flights booked after 4/1/21 for Blue/Blue Extra/Mint fares. That’s a significant boon to travelers!

https://www.jetblue.com/travel-alerts

Even with the Blue Basic fare you can pay to pick a seat in advance. The price depends on where you want to sit. I just did it 2 weeks for a trip in April. Think we paid $7 a seat and to go with the next higher fare would have been $20PP.

The link provided by the OP also says................Flyers will still be allowed one personal item, such as a purse or backpack, but it must fit under the seat and not be stored in the overhead bin.

I don't see an issue with this. Many people on all airlines are trying to board with their 'luggage' to avoid paying the checked baggage fee. Jet Blue is simply specifying what is needed to qualify for their lowest fare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter