jennifaerie's planning journal - 3/2 - Made it on the Maggie Sottero Website!

Oh, Aeriell, I can always count on you to make me all red! :blush: :flower3:

I assure you, I had very high standards for my cake (and yet, very vague parameters). I went to some of the best before I made my decision. I watched way too many Food Network Challenges to not want something extraordinary.

I'm actually kinda bummed that I'll probably get to look at it for five minutes (anyone who asks has been told to take MANY pictures of the cakes). The cake is costing more than my dress, but I don't care. I want this thing to kick butt.

Yeah, you know FNC is great for stuff like that, but they get us all excited for new and great stuff, until we see the price tag!! ;)

Ever since I did the giant 3-D fish cake, I've been hooked on stuff like that!

Ok, I have to see pics of this 3D fish cake!! I'm making a fishing themed cake for Dh's birthday this weekend, and i know it's not going to be great or anything, but i love to look!

I just had to pop over here after I saw you posting on Cam's thread since we're neighbors! :wave2: I live off Exit 4.

I love all your plans! The dress, rings, the centerpieces are AWESOME!!!! :thumbsup2 I might just have to crash this shindig! (only kidding)

I like to do things a bit different too. We did have a WDW wedding. But I knew centerpieces were going to cost crazy amounts of money, that flowers die, and that no one could even bring them home from FL. So, we had minimal flowers - I am allergic anyway. So instead we had Disney mugs in gold boxes (these were the guests' favors). We had them stacked pyramid-style in the center of the table with some rose petals scattered over them. It looked alot better than I would have imagined! Then at the end of the reception, they guests each took one of the boxes with a Disney mug.

I tend to get bored at weddings as well since I am also not a dancer. I would love to be at a wedding with a fun basket like that!

I just had to pop over here after I saw you posting on Cam's thread since we're neighbors! :wave2: I live off Exit 4.

I love all your plans! The dress, rings, the centerpieces are AWESOME!!!! :thumbsup2 I might just have to crash this shindig! (only kidding)

I like to do things a bit different too. We did have a WDW wedding. But I knew centerpieces were going to cost crazy amounts of money, that flowers die, and that no one could even bring them home from FL. So, we had minimal flowers - I am allergic anyway. So instead we had Disney mugs in gold boxes (these were the guests' favors). We had them stacked pyramid-style in the center of the table with some rose petals scattered over them. It looked alot better than I would have imagined! Then at the end of the reception, they guests each took one of the boxes with a Disney mug.

I tend to get bored at weddings as well since I am also not a dancer. I would love to be at a wedding with a fun basket like that!

No way! I'm at exit 6 (we live right behind Mine Falls... we've got the river in our backyard)! I used to live at Royal Crest until we bought our house last August.

If you know where Alpine Grove is, you can crash. :rotfl: Actually, I think everyone in New Hampshire knows where it is, because whenever I tell someone I'm getting married there it's either:

1. I got married there!
2. I had my reception there!
3. I went to a wedding/reception there!
4. I looked at that place for my wedding!

My bridesmaid had her reception there. My hairdresser/stylist got married there. The list goes on and on (seriously!).

Your mug idea was (and is) fantastic! I, briefly, considered doing that, but our favors aren't going to be sturdy (or square) enough to stack or pile, since I opted for bags instead of boxes. I think that's great, though, because it slashes out that major expense.

We're supposedly going to have eleven tables and I only have ten baskets. :lmao: We're not sure if the eleventh table is our sweetheart one (which would be great), or if it's going to be another table. But we're coming up with ideas for the eleventh (we have leftovers, but we're not sure we want to do another basket).

It's so great to meet a local! :) :goodvibes :)

No cake for lurkyloo!

Forthcoming. Of course, it won't be my cake, but I'll show you some similar pictures from the same pastry chef.

However you do know you have to bring down two slices of your cake on your honeymoon so Lurkyloo & I can both taste it since we will both be down there. I don't think it will be that much of a hassle! JK. I will share a piece of my cake too if that helps.

My wedding twin has so much more planned and done compared to me, I feel like such a slacker. Love the CP, by the way.

You're not a slacker! You'll get it all done. I'm just one of those people who freaks out about everything until it's done, so I did everything *REALLY* early.

There's no peanut butter in my cake, so lurkyloo may not like it. You can have her piece. ;)

It seems our poor rings got ousted by the desire to see cake. Sorry, fall rings!

The Cake

The wedding cake is probably one of the only two things I had very specific (and very vague!) ideas about. For me, it was all about my dress and the cake. I didn't really care about anything else.

I was always sure I wanted Richard Tan, a pastry chef who works at the hospital, to make my wedding cake. I don't like (from scratch) cake. At all. I think it's bland and dry and... gross. Give me Betty Crocker anyday. But Richard's cake is amazing. Out of this world. I could live (quite largely, I'd assume) on his buttercream alone.

I also wanted Colette Peters to be involved too. I had seen her cake books and her work on the Food Network.

Then I grew to love Mike McCarey's (of Mike's Amazing Cakes) work. I love how he took inanimate objects and turned them into cakes.

Shortly after we became engaged, I contacted Mike's Amazing Cakes. My hope was that they'd do what they do on a couple episodes of Food Network Challenge. You tell them about yourselves, and they come up with a cake.

Unfortunately, they wouldn't have that. It's not that they weren't willing to work with me, but... they weren't willing to work with me! :rotfl2: I was asked to send pictures of cakes I liked. I did. Then I was told they'd make the cake (alissa's pinkcakebox Corpse Bride cake was the one they offered to make) with the colors we wanted and maybe put a cat on it for upwards of $1200 (and that didn't include delivery).

The fact was, I was almost willing to pay that. But not for someone else's cake. We wanted *our* cake.

So that bombed.

Then I went to Richard (hospital pastry chef) and found out the hospital won't allow him to make wedding cakes because they're too complex. He was more than willing to do a shower cake, but would more than likely get in trouble if he attempted anything more extravagant.

He recommended I go to Jacques Pastries. He actually worked there for many years, and he said they worked very similarly. We had been to a bridal expo where they were sampling their cake, and I tried it, and I had to agree that it tasted just like his. I also loved the cake models they had, and I had said to Rob if Mike's didn't pan out, we should look into them.

So I made an appointment.

Two weeks later... (it felt like forever!)

We met with one of the managers (Tammy) of the store, and she was amazing (and had lots of nice things to say about Richard). Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I said to her, I really want three cakes:

1. Whimsical/mad hatter
2. A concept piece (like hikers on a mountain)
3. A big inanimate object cake

I also told her I loved fondant cakes... how smooth they were. :)

She didn't even have us look at the portfolio/book on the table. She really *got* us. I had shown her several designs we really liked, and we didn't even need to finish. She asked us what we were like. We said our world was our cats (all five!), and that we really liked walking (hiking without the hills and mountains!) trails. We loved nature. We were having a fall wedding and thought it'd be neat to have an outdoorsy type cake that didn't seem like a cake at all. Almost all of our cake pictures had dragonflies, frogs, and other critters on them. She asked for pictures of the Bengals, and of course, I had them. She actually asked me to send more in email because the more pictures we sent, the better the detail (whee!).

She said, I have an idea, let me scope and sketch it out, and you can taste the cakes while I do it.

Sketches! I wanted sketches! Yay! (I tried to scan what she gave us last night, but the printer wasn't working. I'll try again.)

The cake was great, though I have a lot of trouble trying to imagine the flavors together. They give you a piece of chocolate cake and a piece of vanilla cake, and then, like Disney, you get cups of buttercreams and preserves. If you don't know how much they put in the cake, it's hard to tell if what you're trying is going to pan out the way you think it will. I may very well have missed out on a fantastic flavor combination because I wasn't tasting it the way I should have.

Rob and I were stuck on the flavors we tasted at the bridal expo. He really loved this caramel apple spice cake (I liked it, but it didn't scream "wedding"), and I loved the almond/amaretto (tastes like cherries to me!), so it was tough looking past those.

But we did come up with our flavors (no peanut butter, Carrie!).

Three tiers, from bottom to top:
Almond cake/amaretto buttercream/chocolate fudge truffle (Did I forget to mention I'm allergic to chocolate?)
Spice cake/cherry buttercream (sounds weird, but it was very, very good)
White/vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream/strawberry preserves

It seems funny we didn't want any bland flavors, and we made our tier the bland-ish one. But we really liked the combination. It was like strawberry shortcake.

I just hope I get to taste each tier!

Tammy came back, and when I saw her sketch, I almost cried. She managed to take all three cakes I wanted and put them into one cake.

So the cake will be three tiers (obviously), but the tiers will be oddly shaped to match the earth. The top tier will be off center, because the second tier will have a pond with a frog! There will be trees... birch, oak, maple. With a path forging up the cake. There will be a rock mid cake with our initials and heart carved in the middle. Neechee will be sprawled out on top of the rock (made of sugar paste). Emily will be sitting on the top tier doing something adorable, I imagine.

The only bummer for me was that they could do it all in buttercream! I was like, NO! I want fondant! (I didn't say that, because she was right-- it would look better with buttercream, and buttercream is delicious). I had an idea anyway to compensate for it.

The best part was, the quoted price was a fraction of the cost [of Mike's]! I was so happy!

I should have spattered the pictures at the beginning, but I knew if I did that, you wouldn't read my whole post! :rotfl: So here are the pictures I showed Tammy when we met with her. They're from all sorts of places, including Jacques' own cakes.

We are big Halloween fans, so I had to toss this one in.
2007%20wedding%20cakes11web.jpg

clip_image002.jpg

We love Pink Cake Box!
554661294_b78d2559aa.jpg

A LOT.
1932887245_dcb496c16f.jpg

We saw this cake at the bridal expo. It's from Jacques'. We thought it was really cool.
argyle.jpg

Another Jacques'. Rob really liked this one. I thought it was adorable.
castle.jpg

Jacques does it again. I thought Rob would love this one because he's big into trucks. But he said we could leave the trucks at home. :D
chocolate%20grooms.jpg

We loved the critters on this one.
bog.jpg

I liked this one for the fall theming, and the fondant. :)
fall.jpg

Flowers were our focus on this one.
fantasycake.jpg

Cats.
image004.jpg

This one is a Colette Peter's creation. We liked how it took the couple's interests and put them all in one cake.
Lisa_Brainerd.jpg

Another Colette. Rob really liked the take on Monet.
monet.jpg

Another "painting" cake.
starrynight.jpg

We loved this cake, but we didn't want to see any white.
picketfences.jpg

We liked the stars popping out of the top.
stars.jpg

We loved this one for the animals, the trees, and the painting on the cake. Big kitty!
zoonew.jpg

This one gave us the idea of having a tree stump for a cake. We really, really, really loved it.
birch%20tree.jpg

If we had to have a quasi-traditional cake, this would have been it.
paisley.jpg

So here is what our cake will be similar to. It's not going to be the same (we're definitely not going to be on it), but it's buttercream, and it has trees.
mountain1.jpg

mountainbike.jpg

Ooh! That was the 88th post! 88's my favorite number, and I was talking all about cake!

And the picture we provided of the Bengals (Neechee's on the left, Emily's on the right).
angels.jpg

WOW Look at all those cakes!! Some really great designs! I can't wait to see what your final product will look like!

I love Collette Peter's work! I almost had the chance to go see her,and Nicholas Lodge, at the Wilton Institute for a Master's Session. If I could come up with about $4000 i could have done it. :lmao:

I love your flavor choices! (except for the strawberry preserves. blah!) I so want to taste the chocolate and amaretto one!! Oh and the cherry buttercream! that sounds interesting too.

The cake i'm making for dh this weekend is Banana, with banana cream filling. I hate banana! Blah again!

Oh, my GOODNESS!!! :faint: Those aren't cakes! They are works of art!!! :worship: Cannot wait to see sketches of yours! Oh, and your babies are so absolutely adorable! :lovestruc

Wow! What creative cakes! I can't get over how real the birch bark looks on one cake and the rocks on the other. Can't wait to see what your cake will look like!

WOW Look at all those cakes!! Some really great designs! I can't wait to see what your final product will look like!

I love Collette Peter's work! I almost had the chance to go see her,and Nicholas Lodge, at the Wilton Institute for a Master's Session. If I could come up with about $4000 i could have done it. :lmao:

I love your flavor choices! (except for the strawberry preserves. blah!) I so want to taste the chocolate and amaretto one!! Oh and the cherry buttercream! that sounds interesting too.

The cake i'm making for dh this weekend is Banana, with banana cream filling. I hate banana! Blah again!

Banana sounds awesome! We really wanted orange/blueberry, but they only had orange preserves. Orange cake sounds so good. But that's okay, we like what they had. The amaretto is awesome. :D The cherry buttercream was more bing cherry-tasting than maraschino, but it's still good. It goes great with the spice.

Oh, my GOODNESS!!! :faint: Those aren't cakes! They are works of art!!! :worship: Cannot wait to see sketches of yours! Oh, and your babies are so absolutely adorable! :lovestruc

I know what you mean. I could look at cakes all day! There should be a cake museum!

:lovestruc Cat love will get you everywhere! :lovestruc :rotfl:

Wow! What creative cakes! I can't get over how real the birch bark looks on one cake and the rocks on the other. Can't wait to see what your cake will look like!

I know... we were really torn. We told Tammy we really wanted the birch cake, but were so anti-white. So we'll get our birch trees on the other cake instead. But I love how it looks so... natural!

GACK! :crazy2:

I can't believe you are ruining perfectly good cake with FRUIT! Good thing I will be miles away from this atrocity, curled in the fetal position and clutching a tub of peanut butter.... :rotfl:

WOW all of those cakes are amazing. I love the starry night one. If my DH would let me I'd have that one. However he wants "classic". Also I forgot your cake was three tiers, I need to taste all three flavor combos. I'm thinking of doing the different flavor/different tier too, but not sure. Do you think people will eat more than one piece so they can try each one? I might have to order extra cake then.

I don't know if everyone will even know there are multiple flavors. But the cake is going to be for 100 people, and then there's going to be a groom's cake, so there will be more than enough if people actually wanted seconds.

Groom's cake, you say? What groom's cake? :rolleyes1

:rotfl2: No, pumpkin, not that one. Though I think you should try to somehow slip that picture into every thread you post in. Oh wait... :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter