Jehovah's Witness funeral service; what should I expect/ do/ not do?

starrzone

<font color=purple>Quirky with snack cakes<br><fon
A coworker's mother passed away and they are having a service for her at a Kingdom Hall in a couple of weeks. I grew up in the Protestant faith and have never stepped foot inside a Kingdom Hall. I'm assuming the basic customs like modest dress are the same, but is there anything else I should keep in mind? From what I read, they do not do a collection or ask for donations. Any advice would be appreciated :)

I was raised as a JW, I have since left the faith. It will most likely just be a "sermon" type talk given by one of their members. Discussing her life and what their faith believes as to what happens after death. No collection plates, no asking for money. You may have people walk up to you and introduce themselves since it's your first time there.

I’m not a JW but I’ve been to many a funeral of all denominations and several non Christian religions and I don’t ever recall a collection taken or donations asked for at a funeral ( or wedding or other ceremony outside of the regular worship service). Just follow along with whatever you’re comfortable with and I’m sure you’ll be fine.

I was raised as a JW, I have since left the faith. It will most likely just be a "sermon" type talk given by one of their members. Discussing her life and what their faith believes as to what happens after death. No collection plates, no asking for money. You may have people walk up to you and introduce themselves since it's your first time there.
I'm very interested in this topic and have never been to a JW funeral. Are there eulogies, video tributes and music? How to they typically handle the actual disposition? Is the casket present at the service? Burial or cremation? Are certain rituals "mandatory" or is there quite a bit of freedom to accommodate personal sensibilities? TIA. :flower3:

A coworker's mother passed away and they are having a service for her at a Kingdom Hall in a couple of weeks. I grew up in the Protestant faith and have never stepped foot inside a Kingdom Hall. I'm assuming the basic customs like modest dress are the same, but is there anything else I should keep in mind? From what I read, they do not do a collection or ask for donations. Any advice would be appreciated :)

My son had a friend who died when they were 15.

I found the JW service very much like other Christian services that I was familiar with. Nothing made me uncomfortable and the elder who spoke gave a very encouraging, comforting message about the person who died.

Wait .. are there denominations that do an offering at a funeral!?!?

Not at the religious service that I'm aware of. I suspect that the OP was speaking of gatherings after the religious service; in some cultures it is customary for people who attend those to offer discreet donations to help the deceased's family meet expenses, or to mail "condolence gifts" to the family.

For the OP, it has been awhile, but what I remember from the town where I grew up (where I lived across the street from a Hall) is that their funerals tend to be very brief (sometimes only 15 minutes or so), and that they don't have flowers at the service in the Hall. They also do not like religious symbolism (which they consider idolatrous), so you won't see crosses and such.

There will be a talk based on what the Bible says about death and resurrection. They will talk about the person’s life. It will end with song and a prayer, no rituals. The person may be buried or cremated, the body might be in the Kingdom Hall. It basically just depends on what the person’s personal preference was. There may also be a picture tribute on the video monitors or pictures of the person. Often they will have a nice memorial tribute printed up about the deceased, telling about their life and hope.

To the OP, I’m sure your coworker will appreciate you being there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter