January trip questions

Jessicavoet

Mouseketeer
I'm just curious if anyone has any input on a trip in January.

Crowd levels? (Visiting January 19th and 20th)

Weather? We're from South Dakota and have ridiculously cold winters, -20 wind chill temps regularly, lots of snow, etc. Will we feel right at home, or even a little warm there (lol). I plan on wearing my jeggings with my fleece lined leggings/tights underneath and wool socks like I do at home. Along with layering tops, will this be sufficient?

We're staying off site in an air bnb around the corner from the Val d'Europe train stop, and the apartment says there is a 10 minute shuttle that takes you to and from the park. Any recommendations on places in this area to eat/shop/sight see? (close to where the Val d'Europe mall is or in the neighborhoods surrounding it).

Thanks in advance!

Crowds should be fine, Sunday will be busier as it's a weekend. But no holidays or vacation periods. With a little bit of luck they repeat the Pirates & Princess festival next year (or replace it with another festival) in this time of year. This will attract some crowds, but even with a new festival I don't expect massive crowds.

Weather: Can go various ways, but the 'normal' weather for January in Paris is 40s. As you are outside most of the time, be prepared for cold and rain. Don't forget gloves!
Last year was a more extreme winter, and to give you an idea, there was a DIS'er who posts excellent pictures and trip reports @lurkyloo 's tripreport:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...now-new-12-18-details-tour-of-towers.3666985/
I think there is not much to do in the area besides Disneyland and the Val d'Europe mall. If you are into designer clothes, there is an outlet, La Vallee Village, Gucci, Givenchy, Calvin Klein, Karl Lagerfeld etc. have a store here. https://www.lavalleevillage.com/en/home/

Last edited:
I've been in DLP in January when it was snowing and even then, it didn't reach Dakota-like temperatures, so I think you'll be fine! My estimate is that it would have got to high 20's/low 30's Fahrenheit (-2 to +2 Celsius) plus a little bit of wind chill but not too much. A decent jacket, a few extra layers just in case and also a hat and gloves (maybe a second pair in case they get wet, so you can wear one while the other dries out back at your hotel) and that should be enough.

Plus with quite a lot of attractions being indoors and even some covered walkways, layers are always useful as it is just as easy to get too hot as too cold. The snow trip when we were there, we spent an inordinate amount of time on Pirates of the Caribbean and Buzz Lightyear, as these were nice warm rides - it had such an effect that the phrase "Cosy Pirates" has now gone down as shorthand in our family to describe coming out of the cold to get warm again!

Crowds should be fine, Sunday will be busier as it's a weekend. But no holidays or vacation periods. With a little bit of luck they repeat the Pirates & Princess festival next year (or replace it with another festival) in this time of year. This will attract some crowds, but even with a new festival I don't expect massive crowds.

Weather: Can go various ways, but the 'normal' weather for January in Paris is 40s. As you are outside most of the time, be prepared for cold and rain. Don't forget gloves!
Last year was a more extreme winter, and to give you an idea, there was a DIS'er who posts excellent pictures and trip reports @lurkyloo 's tripreport:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...now-new-12-18-details-tour-of-towers.3666985/
I think there is not much to do in the area besides Disneyland and the Val d'Europe mall. If you are into designer clothes, there is an outlet, La Vallee Village, Gucci, Givenchy, Calvin Klein, Karl Lagerfeld etc. have a store here. https://www.lavalleevillage.com/en/home/

This is PERFECT because we're actually doing London and Scotland too so it's more helpful than just Disneyland stuff!!

This is PERFECT because we're actually doing London and Scotland too so it's more helpful than just Disneyland stuff!!
If you have any questions for London and Scotland let me know I just did a trip there so it's still very fresh in my mind. Karin1984 posted a link to my trip report, I'm trying to be really detailed to help others with planning. I was researching my trip for about a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter