January - best dates?

Kailua's Belle

Mouseketeer
Well, I was planning on going in early Dec., but DD will have finals then, so we can't do that. So now I'm coming up with plan B.

I was hoping to avoid the crazy holiday crowds but still see the decorations and all the holiday festivities. :santa: I know the weekends are always crowded, but what do you think about January 4 - 9? Will Friday, 1/4 still be crazy busy? I figure the 7th, 8th & 9th won't be too bad, but I'm often wrong so I'm looking for some expertise here.

I just went during Presidents' Day week and it was really crowded. I didn't realize so many schools take that whole week off. :sad2: We pulled our kiddos out of school.

I tried to find the hours from this last Jan., checked mouseplanet, but it wasn't posted. If anyone knows how to find that, I'd be very grateful!!:thumbsup2

I'd love to see the Electrical Parade too. Any chance they'll run it that weekend?

Thanks for any input!!!

To see all the holiday decor you will have to be there like the 2nd or 3rd of January otherwise most of it will be down. Also if you visit later in the month, Small World and Haunted Mansion may be closed for removal of the overlays.

Now if you don't care about that, then I would go either the 7-12 or so or wait till the very last week like the 25-30 ro somewhere in there. Skip MLK completely as that can get as busy as Presidents week!

Mostly hours for January are DL 10-8 and DCA 10-6 weekdays, then DL 9-11 or midnight and DCA 10-8 or 9 on the weekends.

You can never tell with the EP if it will be running or not, they have weird schedules for that!!

Andrea

Oh meant to say that we are off here till the 7th so it could still be very busy on Friday 1/4! But if you go later you will miss the holiday festivities for sure!!

Andrea

We went this year Land/Sea Jan. 10-18. That was right after the marathan, not too crowded, great weather. In '08 were going a week later.

DLR has extended their holiday season the last few years because many of the local schools have extended their vacations to include the Ephiphany.

We went January 7-10 this year. We were there for the last official day of Christmas peak. So on the 7th we were able to ride HMH before it closed the next day for overlay removal,watch the Christmas parade, watch the EP and see the Christmas fireworks. IASW holiday was running the entire time we were there. The tree wasn't actually taken down until Tuesday, the 10th, because there was some windy conditions. Each day we went, we saw a few more Christmas decorations taken down.

I would say that you will face moderate crowds and still get to enjoy many of the Christmas offerings.
:thumbsup2

Thanks for your input!! :thumbsup2 If I wasn't dishing out two grand for airfare, I wouldn't be obsessing as much. I just really don't want to face major crowds but would love to see some of the holiday magic... especially the "snow."

I would aim for the second week in January. Most schools are still on break the first week, and the crowds are really bad. We were there on the 2nd and the crowds were so bad that we left at about 5:00. When we were leaving, we saw signs up saying that they had sold out and that DL was at capacity and not allowing anymore guests. I didn't go back the rest of the week, but I heard from some CM friends that the rest of that week was terrible too. We went back the following week and it was much better.

It seems like IASW ran for a really long time this year. I think that they didn't take it down until February, or at least really late Jan. The Christmas fireworks also lasted for a couple of weeks into Jan. I can't remember when HMH switched back over, because my DD is afraid of it, so we never ride it.

So it sounds like 7 - 9th may be pretty good. I'll have to bear the crowds on the weekend, 4 - 6, but maybe I'll be lucky and they'll have the Electrical Parade that weekend. We can use our EE on Sat. the 5th, concentrate on shows and parades, and then concentrate on rides on the weekdays.

Of course I'll probably change my mind a hundred more times before I book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter