January....are we crazy to go this time of year?

All things equal, I'd rather have the Florida winter temps than the Florida summer temps. You can always add layers of clothing if you get cold in the winter. But in the summer you can only get so naked at WDW without getting in trouble. :D

Items to consider for January-

Our Florida weather is very dependent on the fronts. Most days it tends to be very comfortable with lows in the mid 50’s to highs near 80. If a front is from the south, tropical, expect very nice up to warm and humid weather. Fronts coming from the north can drop the highs to below 50. If it is cool, because there can still be humidity, it can feel colder. Expect a few days of each through the course of a week.

The week around the holiday are usually crazy busy. Longer park hours can help if you are willing or able to stay late or arrive early. Expect crowds and some waits but you can get to more things.

Marathon weekend crowds are a little different. There is an increase in crowds but key is travel logistics can be impacted between locations on property or in parks. Epcot and Magic Kingdom probably are most crowded around that weekend, especially the Monday after.

Mid to late January are usually not too bad for crowds but park hours are a little shorter. Also check for and see if rides are scheduled for maintenance. It is not uncommon for the parks to do updates or routine Maintenance around this time.

We. Are the thinking of going in January...DS#1 came up with the idea...
I am having lots of second thoughts...worried about the weather. Who has gone in January..how was the weather and crowds?

Our family of 5 (me, DH, and triplet boys age 7 at the time) went in January, 2017, and loved it so much, we are going back in 2019. We had one day that was really cold—38 degrees, but we are from northern NY and traveled with our winter coats, so we were prepared. Later in the week, it reached 80 and our boys were complaining it was too hot, so we went back to the pool to cool off. We stayed at the Polynesian and had a wonderful trip. We are used to -30 below temperatures so, for us, it was really quite pleasant. Our next trip we are splitting between the Beach Club and Polynesian. You’ll love January! We sure did! Oh, and what crowds? That was the best part! There wasn’t any!

I'm reading this thread with interest since I'm planning a trip in January too! What's the best kind of winter coat to wear? I imagine wearing a coat and a hat is better than wearing a coat with a hood since you can see better. Anyone have any style tips? I have a puffy coat but I look like the Michelin Man in it...
I figure since we are coming from Mass we will have our coats anyways...and then just bring layers...we booked the Bonnet Creek so we will have a washer and dryer in room...so trying to not overpack...ha..

so we are all booked...so excited
DS1 and family are at Beach Club
Myself DH and DS2 and family booked 2- 2 bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek
so now the planning begins...already made a few ADR

We went this past January 6-10. It was 30 degrees our first couple of days then at the end of the trip it suddenly got warmer so expect the unexpected and pack layers. Our pictures tell the story. On Epcot day my kids are wearing wool sweaters and then two days later in MK they're wearing spaghetti strapped princess dresses. That's how much the temperature changed.

We're from Canada though so the cooler temperatures didn't bother us.

I rather be cold then ungodly hot. You can wear a jacket and gloves. When it is too hot you can only take so much off and you have take gear with you to help keep you cool. (mister fans, cooling towels)

We are going Dec 30 - Jan 5 2018/19 and we are fully prepared for crazy crowds. But we're coming in with all of the ADRs we want booked and solid touring plans and fastpasses, so we're gonna make it work!

We will overlap some of those days! 1/1-1/5 at the parks, then we’re cruising in the Fantasy! Our game plan is like yours.

We had no trouble getting the ADRs we wanted (T-Rex, PPO Be Our Guest, Beaches and Cream early dinner) and will be utilizing Park Hoppers and hopefully get the FPs we want :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter