January....are we crazy to go this time of year?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by sheri18, Jun 25, 2018.

1. sheri18

sheri18 Mouseketeer

We. Are the thinking of going in January...DS#1 came up with the idea...
    I am having lots of second thoughts...worried about the weather. Who has gone in January..how was the weather and crowds?

2. AngieInOH

AngieInOH DIS Veteran

When in Jan? I enjoy the weather in Jan. Id rather it be a little cool than unbearably hot. But you do need to check the forecast before going.

galaxygirl76 likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Wubar

Wubar Stop asking about "worth". Totally subjective.

Went this past January. Definitely needed a jacket and gloves for some nights. Crowds were very manageable. Using the refresh tactic, we were able to ride the FP "headliners" (Soarin, 7dMT, FEA, TT, even FoP) multiple times per day. That was NOT the case when we were there a few weeks ago.

Dumbo777 and Texans_loyal like this.
  5. Iowamomof4

Iowamomof4 DIS Veteran

Over the course of a 10-day trip, would you expect at least a couple good days for swimming? (Sorry to jump on the OP's thread, but I'm also considering this time of year vs. late April/May)

6. Wubar

Wubar Stop asking about "worth". Totally subjective.

If the temperature was just 5-10 degrees warmer, I would almost go every year in January. Crowds were lower, easier to get FPs, didn't have to worry about dying alive in the hot Florida sun. We didn't think it would be that bad in early June. We were wrong.

Oh, and while we did see a few people in the pool area in January, they must have been crazy. I didn't think any of the days of our trip were even remotely warm enough for a dip in the pool, heated or not.

7. sheri18

sheri18 Mouseketeer

We are planning on January 12-19

8. sheri18

sheri18 Mouseketeer

I don’t mind cool. But do mind cold. Lol

9. sheri18

sheri18 Mouseketeer

My DH#1 has been in January and like the cooler temperatures
    When my kids were younger we use to go in September. We like that time..this year not possible
    Have been in May. Weathered nice but the “live” bugs were horrible

10. zobow02

zobow02 Mouseketeer

It can be a bit chilly, I'd go in Feb. I went last Feb and it was in the 60-70's it was very nice!

[​IMG]

11. JediBonas

JediBonas DIS Veteran

We went end of Jan/beginning of Feb this year. We were able to swim once in the beginning of our trip but then it got too cold for us (and we're from upstate NY). It was sweatshirts and pants for us almost all week, I would have worn a hat and gloves if I had thought to pack them. Crowds seemed worse then what we were used to as well, but I don't know if that was due to less staffing then other times we've gone.

12. Helvetica

Helvetica Mouseketeer

I went for 12 days in January this year. The weather was fine, much nicer than what it was at home. I had a light jacket in my day pack and used it in the evenings.

On my way to an 8am breakfast at Akershus, I saw the lady who was playing Elsa as she was on her way to work. I was wearing shorts and I was totally fine, but she was wearing quite a bit less and she was not having it. It was too cold for her and I couldn't help but find it hilarious. The security guards were wearing giant puffy coats like they were expecting a blizzard or something. I thought they were crazy, but I'm sure that the feeling was mutual.

Since you're from Massachusetts, I suspect you'll be fine too. Just bring a backpack and pack a light jacket.

For reference, the highest high when I was there was 84 and the lowest low was 28. The historic average high is 71 and the low is 50.

galaxygirl76 and Mome Rath like this.
  13. k5xs

k5xs Mouseketeer

Marathon Weekend is the 9th-13th. That can perturb things a little bit (especially that Saturday and Sunday morning).

We go every January and have seen everything from sleet, to hot and humid conditions, and to everything in between.

A Mickeyfan likes this.
  14. rdaky

rdaky Mouseketeer

We've been in January and it's great! Low crowds, no heat. If you're from the North, it beats January snow storms and below freezing weather. We skipped the pool after trying it once. Even though the water is heated, getting out of the water to go back to your room is pretty painful.

galaxygirl76 likes this.
  15. Wild4Walt

Wild4Walt DIS Veteran

You're leaving before the MLK holiday so you may see if a bit busier the last day of your trip but it shouldn't be horrible. Weather is a mixed bag but depending on where you live most likely it will be warmer than where you live ( I'm from Chicago so even if it's in the 50s it so much warmer than it is here in January ).

I'd google past history of weather during that time of year. It's a hit or miss but it will give you an idea on how warm ( or cold ).

16. Pookles

Pookles Mouseketeer

We're from MN and found the weather in January to be great for us. There were a few times when it might have gotten a bit chilly, but we each had a light jacket and were fine. We brought a mix of clothes and just wore pants or shorts depending on the weather that day. There were a couple of days that worked for the pools which was all we needed. A water ride or two might have closed, and I know they were doing maintenance on some other rides but I couldn't tell you now which ones. Some things were closed, restaurants or snack bars, but again, I can't remember them. Didn't seem to have a big impact on the overall trip.

17. brewhome

brewhome DIS Veteran

Our January trip was great - we are from Buffalo and we loved the weather... not too hot, but warm enough for us to use the pool a few days. We usually started out with sweatshirts in the morning but were down to shorts and tees during the day. We went twice in February and had cooler trips then than our January one. I'm sure others have had a totally different experience, though. Just bring layers and you will be fine! We are going 1/10-1/15 and can't wait!

18. acgardne

acgardne Earning My Ears

Weather for us was great. One night was in the 40's, which got chilly, but the rest we were comfortable riding in a golf cart around Fort Wilderness with or without a jacket. I will say, it was busier at the end of January than I expected - we had one day in Animal Kingdom that ended up being an 8/10 crowd rating. It still felt decently busy, even though it is the "off" season.

19. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

It can get cold at night in Florida this time of the year, but generally it won't be much below 50 at night in my experience, but definitely bring a jacket. It can still get warm during the day, so you will want shorts as well, but nothing like the summer, it will probably be below 80 every day, around is the norm. There will usually be a bit lighter crowds, but there can be days where one park is busier than the others, so definitely use a crowd calendar to figure out the best park for each day and avoid the crowds. This year will be a little bit busier because of Pro Bowl happening mid-late January apparently, but after that things should calm down.

There is usually minimal amounts of rain this time of the year as well, it won't be like summer where it rains every day. We are also going from the middle of January through the end of January.

20. Ensusieasm

Ensusieasm DIS Veteran

Last January at Beach Club Villas I still went in the hot tub at 5:30am even though the temperature had dipped to 29 degrees F. Rope dropped my first ever ride on FoP later that morning. I much prefer winter in Florida than summer for sure.

21. sheri18

sheri18 Mouseketeer

Brrrr...now that is chilly....