Jan 13-16, 2020 - Quiet time?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by Sandeep1, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Sandeep1

Sandeep1 Mouseketeer

So a friend suggested these dates specifically for next year as being a fantastic time to go crowds wise.

Can anyone confirm?

2. Vertical

Vertical Mouseketeer

There are really no quiet times anymore. And with the anticipated opening of Star Wars In HS, all bets are off on crowds.

Jcon likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. holden

holden DIS Veteran

Agree with PP. There are no quiet times. Crowd levels are “busy” and “busier.”

5. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

There are very broad generalizations that can be made about that time of year, but nobody will be able to specifically tell you if 4 non-holiday days 11 months from now will be busy or not. Completely impossible to predict, you'd be taking a total shot in the dark.

To me, the whole thing about "busy" and "busier" times of the year is kind of obvious. WDW is the most popular theme park in the world, so you should never expect to have an empty park. It just is what it is.

6. mom2rtk

mom2rtk Invented the term "Characterpalooza"

Nobody said anything about an "empty" park.

Do you really think it will be as busy that week as it is Christmas week?

People do understand that it's always busy. But even during the height of crowds, there are degrees of busy. Eventually schools are back in session. So while it might be busy, it won't be anything like say, Christmas week.

OP, those should be less busy, but it's hard to know for sure since Disney has had a nasty habit of staffing down when they expect less crowds. But I'd probably consider those days.

Alesia likes this.
  7. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

I agree, I think we're saying the same thing. I think broad generalizations can be made about a particular time of year (January in this case). Like you said, Christmas is far busier, there is no question about it. At the same time, I don't think there's any way to get granular to be able to say that those specific days would be less crowded than the day before or the days after (presuming it's not a holiday). Maybe I misinterpreted what OP was asking, but that's how I read it.

I know nobody said "empty park". I just think it sort of goes without saying that it's going to be busy. It's WDW, you should expect it no matter when you go. It's just the scale of how busy, to your point.

8. FastPasser.

FastPasser. THE PARTY'S OVER.

I'm curious if your friend knew that Galaxy's Edge would be open? I'll be staying far away from WDW during late 2019 and 2020.

9. sharonabe

sharonabe DIS Veteran

The WDW Marathon is Jan 8-12. Some runners will come before and some will stay after. It will affect crowd levels for the 13-16.

MLK day is the 20th, so if I were choosing a week in Jan, I would choose the 13-16th or the very last week, the 27-30th.

10. Sandeep1

Sandeep1 Mouseketeer

Guess I will continue skipping WDW then. Thanks for the info guys.

11. Erzengel

Erzengel DIS Veteran

I was actually there this year on Jan 13-Jan 16.

However, it was one of the less busiest times we've ever been but Flights of Passage in AK, still had a 3 hour line. LOL

It was also after a marathon.

12. Marionnette

Marionnette Children see magic because they look for it

I recommend looking at some of the threads started by guests who were there during that week this year. It's really not fantastic crowd-wise and I expect that with SW:GE opening in "late fall", it will be even more crowded.

Summer is actually becoming a less-crowded time, especially August...if you can tolerate the heat, humidity and daily thunderstorm.

13. Sandeep1

Sandeep1 Mouseketeer

Yes thanks. I will stick with original idea of going sometime right after Labor Day. Not sure when I'll be able to do that but it's what I'm thinking.

sharonabe likes this.
  14. Carolynleanne

Carolynleanne Canadian Disney mom

We'll be arriving the 13th of January. I expect crowds to be much heavier than usually thanks to Star Wars. That being said, many wont be able to travel two weeks after Christmas holidays. I thinks it's going to be fine, but we may not be able to get anywhere near GE.

15. LizGirl

LizGirl Obsessed with WDW

WDW slows way down after Labor Day. I wish I could go then!

We've gone during busy times and less busy times - it's always fun! But our attitude is to enjoy the ambiance and food as much as the attractions. If you don't have to ride everything in one day, you'll have fun.

16. gharter

gharter DIS Veteran

Agree with the others. while this normally may be a slightly quieter time, with SWGE having been open about a month (guessing here), I expect crowds to still be very high.

Sandeep1 likes this.
  17. Harambe

Harambe I miss Tapestry of Dreams!

We've gone that time. Weather can be all over the place, but we had 4 gorgeous weather days in 2017 (and a couple of cold one!). It is a great time to go, but not sure how Star Wars will affect the parks. We are planning on the first week of December, and hoping SW will be delayed - hahaha. We have no plans to go to HS to see SW, but I understand that the crowds coming to see SW will go to all the parks.

We have also gone in August twice. It takes about a day to adjust to the heat/humidity, then you are all set. Hurricanes can be a factor, though. We encountered a typhoon one year, and just barely escaped Katrina. So, there's always something!

Just go and have fun! Adjust to whatever you encounter and be flexible. It's all good!

18. cavepig

cavepig DIS Veteran

I was there this year from Jan. 9-19 for marathon weekend. Once all the runners left the crowds were a little less, but there were still long lines. Jungle Cruise the 18th said 90 minutes and we waited close to that. The 16th Space Mountain took us 60 minutes at around 9:20am (9:00am opening after we did Mine Train first) Marathon is Jan. 8-12, 2020 so some runners will leave for your dates, but you'll still have plenty still there and regular crowds. Not the summer crowds, but crowds.

19. anomamatt

anomamatt Fastpass+ Strategist

There were a ton of complaints about the crowds that people posted here this year for that same timeframe. Next year it will be an absolute mad house with SW:GE having opened the month before.

CJN likes this.