Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

We are checking in on June 28th for 4 nights on my friends CM discount standard view. I'm sure since we have a discount we will get a less than desirable location(that's usually the case I think). Anyway, we will be spending lots of time at the resort so I want to be as far from noise as possible. What area should we request to avoid construction noise?

We'll be at AKL-Jambo 8/14-8/23 to celebrate our daughter's 10th birthday. We stayed here 1 night before a Disney cruise 3 years ago, so we didn't have much time to explore the resort or check out any of the activities. I'm really looking forward to doing both this time around. In the past we've mostly been park people, but I'm planning a lot of downtime to cope with the August heat/humidity (which is why we're doing 9 nights instead of our usual 5-7), and AKL seems perfect for that! :)

Checking in to AKL CL next week & so excited! We’ve stayed at AKL numerous times since 2003 and it just never gets old for us. So thankful for the updates on this thread pertaining to renovations; they’ve really helped me in narrowing down what room requests I should make. This thread also helps build the anticipation of returning to such a beautiful resort and I’m grateful for it! :)

I've noticed the menu at The Mara is relatively limited. We have a kid who lives for pasta, and we'll be eating at the Mara most days of our stay. Anyone know if they can make a simple marinara pasta dish?

I'm guessing that they can, since spaghetti and meatballs are offered at one of the kid stations at Boma. However, I suggest you call about 20-30 minutes ahead of time to request it...meals with marinara sauce are probably not readily available, so they'd have to make arrangements to get sauce.

I've noticed the menu at The Mara is relatively limited. We have a kid who lives for pasta, and we'll be eating at the Mara most days of our stay. Anyone know if they can make a simple marinara pasta dish?
I don't think I've ever seen pasta there...but if they do, like most places, I would think it would be that you could get it either with their sauce or without- maybe with butter? They have pasta at Boma but I wouldn't expect them to prepare a separate meal at Mara, especially not most days you are there.

We'll be at AKL-Jambo 8/14-8/23 to celebrate our daughter's 10th birthday. We stayed here 1 night before a Disney cruise 3 years ago, so we didn't have much time to explore the resort or check out any of the activities. I'm really looking forward to doing both this time around. In the past we've mostly been park people, but I'm planning a lot of downtime to cope with the August heat/humidity (which is why we're doing 9 nights instead of our usual 5-7), and AKL seems perfect for that! :)
...your family is going to LOVE it! AKL pool area is a great place to relax....

I don't think I've ever seen pasta there...but if they do, like most places, I would think it would be that you could get it either with their sauce or without- maybe with butter? They have pasta at Boma but I wouldn't expect them to prepare a separate meal at Mara, especially not most days you are there.
....I respectfully disagree. The two kitchens are actually adjoining. If you explain that you have a child with errr, ummm, "discriminating taste", they'll understand and certainly try their best to accomodate you. I don't know if they'll make a 'habit' of it though.....it's also a good opportunity to get that fussy eater to try new things. Their chicken flatbread pizza is pretty amazing! They also have a pretty fair selection of prepackaged items, like sandwiches and such....

Yes, they MAY do it, if they aren't busy and want to spread some pixie dust. But I said I wouldn't expect it, and like you, wouldn't think its even something to ask for repeatedly. Disney is usually good with special requests but Mara has their menu, Boma has theirs. I wouldn't think to choose a QS place then ask them for food that isn't on their menu. Just wanted OP to be aware and not plan on it.

Question for AKL veterans.... if you've stayed at AKL Jambo several times then switched to Kidani is a bit of a letdown? We've stayed at Jambo a few times (favorite resort!) but this time around we are aiming for a one bedroom. I know Jambo has a few too and we may end up with one of those....but then Kidani's one bedrooms have two bathrooms and seem like they are overall nicer. I'm a bit hesitant about Kidani just because the lobby isn't as much of a "wow" and Mara, Boma, Jiko are all next door rather than downstairs. I do like both pools....we have a 2 year old so the splashpad at Kidani is a bonus.

....I respectfully disagree. The two kitchens are actually adjoining. If you explain that you have a child with errr, ummm, "discriminating taste", they'll understand and certainly try their best to accomodate you. I don't know if they'll make a 'habit' of it though.....it's also a good opportunity to get that fussy eater to try new things. Their chicken flatbread pizza is pretty amazing! They also have a pretty fair selection of prepackaged items, like sandwiches and such....
We were in Mara this past May and someone in front of us made a "special request". They had to call the chef over and that kept us all waiting until that was resolved. It seems they prefer you stick to the menu so as not to slow down the other orders.

We were in Mara this past May and someone in front of us made a "special request". They had to call the chef over and that kept us all waiting until that was resolved. It seems they prefer you stick to the menu so as not to slow down the other orders.
...which is why I suggested to call ahead and ask to speak to the head chef that evening.....it'd be more discreet and less obtrusive to the other patrons.

Question for AKL veterans.... if you've stayed at AKL Jambo several times then switched to Kidani is a bit of a letdown? We've stayed at Jambo a few times (favorite resort!) but this time around we are aiming for a one bedroom. I know Jambo has a few too and we may end up with one of those....but then Kidani's one bedrooms have two bathrooms and seem like they are overall nicer. I'm a bit hesitant about Kidani just because the lobby isn't as much of a "wow" and Mara, Boma, Jiko are all next door rather than downstairs. I do like both pools....we have a 2 year old so the splashpad at Kidani is a bonus.

I generally prefer Jambo much more over Kidani, and we stay there every year. We were taking my family one year and needed a one bedroom, so I obviously went with Kidani for the extra bathroom, and the room itself more than made up for not being at Jambo. Personally, anything DVC room larger than a studio and I will always book at Kidani. The layout of the rooms is much better since they aren't converted hotel rooms, and the extra bathroom is fantastic to have. The walk between the two is also pretty easy so we walked over to Jambo if we wanted to do something there. I also really like the breakfast at Sanaa and prefer it to the breakfast served at The Mara.

I wonder if construction is done on Kudu or will be by our trip in late July. I had planned on asking for Zebra to avoid it as much as possible but not sure now. I wonder if they’d know calling concierge services? If not who would be best to call?
I would imagine that DSS would be able to find out for us. They have a schedule, and while things can fall behind schedule, it should give us a pretty good idea. Let me know what you find out and I will do the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter