Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

We recently stayed on Zebra trail, we saw giraffes, zebras, wildebeasts, large deer like animals, crested cranes. I think the time of day is a factor and we were extremely happy with our view of the animals.

The room I was in was near a corner, there just wasn't that good a view of the savannah. But I did not pay for a savannah view, I'm just happy I had a view at all!

I think if AKL were to add more convenient transportation options the price would rise substantially.

I think what I love about it most it’s the quiet and tranquility. I kind of look at it like I pay less than other deluxes and get the most beautiful surroundings as a trade off for fewer transportation options. We have five nights at POR coming up, and then we move to AKL for 3 nights. So excited for both !!

I think if AKL were to add more convenient transportation options the price would rise substantially.

I think what I love about it most it’s the quiet and tranquility. I kind of look at it like I pay less than other deluxes and get the most beautiful surroundings as a trade off for fewer transportation options. We have five nights at POR coming up, and then we move to AKL for 3 nights. So excited for both !!
Yeah, I was thinking about the cost aspect of it too. Compared to the other deluxe hotels, it is more of a bargain, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with its remoteness.

I agree. I just came home from a stay at AKL and my biggest complaint was the bus transportation (and the fairly long hike to our room from the lobby, but it wasn't a dealbreaker - just kind of annoying). On average we waited 15-30 minutes for a bus with our longest wait being 45. It was disheartening to see 3+ Fort Wilderness busses come and go without a single AKL.

However, the peacefulness and tranquility of the resort was AMAZING. Probably the best resort to just chill and relax at. The pool at night had absolutely no one there (this was at Kidani, unsure about Jambo). Meanwhile when I visited Polynesian to go to Trader Sam's the entire resort was super hectic and kind of a madhouse people wise.

I saw this question asked a few pages back, but it doesn't look like it was answered. Does Uzima Springs Pool Bar no longer have food? The menu on Disney's website only lists drinks. I know pre-COVID I get get some food, but is it only a bar now?? I will be there next week and the kids get hungry after awhile of swimming... Should I pack snacks or do they have food?

I saw this question asked a few pages back, but it doesn't look like it was answered. Does Uzima Springs Pool Bar no longer have food? The menu on Disney's website only lists drinks. I know pre-COVID I get get some food, but is it only a bar now?? I will be there next week and the kids get hungry after awhile of swimming... Should I pack snacks or do they have food?

I've seen food at both Jambo and Kidani pool side, but I was last there June of 21. So, in the midst of COVID.

Of course, I got Sanaa to go and ate it poolside anyway, as I will forego convenience for quality. And the looks of the other folks when they saw what I had was worth it, as jealousy is a currency in my world.

I've seen food at both Jambo and Kidani pool side, but I was last there June of 21. So, in the midst of COVID.

Of course, I got Sanaa to go and ate it poolside anyway, as I will forego convenience for quality. And the looks of the other folks when they saw what I had was worth it, as jealousy is a currency in my world.

Thanks for the reply. When we were there in November, we did have food on the Kidani side and the menu on the WDW site still shows food there. I just thought maybe Uzima pool no longer served food since it's no longer listed on the website.

Getting Sanaa to go is a great idea if swimming on the Kidani side. I'll have to remember that tip!

Great to hear! I put a request in a couple weeks ago for Kudu Trail around that same room. Hoping it comes through!
As an update, the request using TP did not work out for us. We ended up above the lobby ,which is nice for minimizing walking, but it’s noisy and a roof view. Luckily we won’t be in the room often.

I was at AKL for dinner on Thursday night. We like to get there early to look at the animals. I got bit several times on my legs by this. On Friday, my bites were welts and very itchy. Today, my bites are oozing blisters. My husband has not a single bite!

Beware of the yellow flies!

I was at AKL for dinner on Thursday night. We like to get there early to look at the animals. I got bit several times on my legs by this. On Friday, my bites were welts and very itchy. Today, my bites are oozing blisters. My husband has not a single bite!

Beware of the yellow flies!
that happened to me a couple of years ago at the campground. Ended up at a walk in clinic to get antibiotics!

that happened to me a couple of years ago at the campground. Ended up at a walk in clinic to get antibiotics!

We wondered about the campground. We've stayed there multiple times in our camper but never had the yellow fly problem. I hope it's isolated to May/June. I may go to the Kroger Little Clinic.....

We wondered about the campground. We've stayed there multiple times in our camper but never had the yellow fly problem. I hope it's isolated to May/June. I may go to the Kroger Little Clinic.....
yellow fly bites are the woooorst. Anything with witch hazel in it will help a lot with the itching and swelling. it’s not something you’re likely to pack on it’s own, but any kind of face toner/astringent will probably have it in it

As an update, the request using TP did not work out for us. We ended up above the lobby ,which is nice for minimizing walking, but it’s noisy and a roof view. Luckily we won’t be in the room often.
Hopefully they got the leak in front of the front desk fixed. We were there May 1-6 and the ceiling in front of the check in desk was leaking water on the 5th and 6th.

Hi all,
We have a three night stay coming up in August in a pool view. I know room requests are just requests but I will still probably put one in. What are everyone's thoughts about third floor vs ground floor? Convenient to Mara and pool access are my main priorities which seem to be competing priorities. Ground floor patios do not have pool access do they? Like I assume the patio is fenced and/or a shrubbery bed away from the pool deck. So you'd still possibly have a decent hike in your wet pool things to get back to the room?

Can anybody confirm if housekeeping has returned. I've been reading some horrid reviews on TA and people are complaining about filthy rooms and no housekeeping.

Can anybody confirm if housekeeping has returned. I've been reading some horrid reviews on TA and people are complaining about filthy rooms and no housekeeping.
Housekeeping has returned. We checked in to AKL on May 1st and checked out on May 6th. We had housekeeping on May 3rd.

We probably would have had it again on the 5th if we'd been staying longer, but since we were checking out on the 6th, they were not going to clean our room on the 5th.

I know this because I caught them in the hall at one point and asked one of the housekeepers if they were going to clean our room that day. The housekeeper said our room was not on the schedule for cleaning that day. I asked if they would at least replace the towels and she said they would.

When we got back to the room that night they had cleaned it completely (though I don't think we got clean sheets). We left a better than normal tip, but looking back on it, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a room to be cleaned twice during a 5 night stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter