Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

....actually, my DH has Celiac, so we love that The Mara [and EVERY WDW eatery, for that matter] really caters to my DH's special dietary needs....the head chef came out to the guest area of The Mara one early evening and personally explained to my DH what he could and could not have. He personally prepared a chicken flatbread pizza (GF, of course! ) that we brought back to our room and shared [along with a salad and a bottle of African wine]....

Hi Everyone! We are now officially booked for a savanna view studio at Kidani for 12/2-12/9. This is our first time staying on property so we are super excited! Originally I was planning on staying at a monorail resort since our girls are 2 and 5 but we rented points and all the monorail resort studios were already sold out for our dates. I read some experiences regarding the AKL buses, which alleviated a lot my concerns. We will have our car with us since we are driving instead of flying. Is it worth taking the bus over driving yourself for any of the parks? We are planning on rope dropping most days and will have a rented double stroller. I am wondering about the hassle of bringing the stroller on the bus?

Also, this will be the first time we stay at a hotel that will not have daily housekeeping visits. I saw that this could be added on but I was wondering how other families with young children did without it? We were planning on having most of our breakfasts in the room. Are there towels for use at the pools or will we have to bring towels from our room?

Any suggestions on what rooms to request?

Happy planning! :)

....well, since you will obviously be leaving the resort early [for the rope drop], it has been my experience that the buses aren't quite as crowded. Remember, unless you get to park in the parking lot fairly close to walking distance to the entrance of any park, you will be hopping aboard a tram car, which IMHO, will waste more time, but that's just me. As for the stroller, I'm thinking that it will be folded while in the bus, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem....

....can't help you with the Kidani rooms though....we've always stayed at Jambo, and only visited to dine at Sanaa...

Hi we are staying at AKL for the first time June 28th-July 3rd. We were supposed to go in November to Poly but these dates work better for us. We decided on AKL because my 1 yr old loves animals. I am excited. It will be my two dds 1 & 12 and dh. My main concern was busses and distanxe to MK. But I previously stayed at CB & POP and it seems like the distance won't be that much of a difference or noticable.

Hi we are staying at AKL for the first time June 28th-July 3rd. We were supposed to go in November to Poly but these dates work better for us. We decided on AKL because my 1 yr old loves animals. I am excited. It will be my two dds 1 & 12 and dh. My main concern was busses and distanxe to MK. But I previously stayed at CB & POP and it seems like the distance won't be that much of a difference or noticable.
....put your worries to rest.....the commute isn't that bad....:thumbsup2

We are planning a fall trip to WDW and seriously thinking about AKL for the first time! We stayed at the Poly 5 years ago and loved it, but want to try something new this trip. The thought of being able to sit on my balcony with my morning coffee and see a zebra or giraffe is just amazing to me! Still working out the dates, but will be Oct or Nov, or at the latest March 2018. Hoping to rent points for a savannah studio.

Also - do any of the DVC savannah studios have the queen bed + bunk beds? No way my 2 kids can share a bed, but we can also bring an air mattress if need be. TIA!

We are planning a fall trip to WDW and seriously thinking about AKL for the first time! We stayed at the Poly 5 years ago and loved it, but want to try something new this trip. The thought of being able to sit on my balcony with my morning coffee and see a zebra or giraffe is just amazing to me! Still working out the dates, but will be Oct or Nov, or at the latest March 2018. Hoping to rent points for a savannah studio.

Also - do any of the DVC savannah studios have the queen bed + bunk beds? No way my 2 kids can share a bed, but we can also bring an air mattress if need be. TIA!

I don't recall that they do..DVC wise..... But The resort is Amazing..Whatever you see or hear about this resort is true, but magnified by 10 once your there....It might not make you want to fully switch back to Poly but it will definitely not disappoint...

After having trouble getting the automatic gate to work, one of the cast members asked my DH if his Magic Band was the FIRST one to open the room door. He said no, and her response that in order for his band to open the gate, it must be the first one to open the room.

SO just a heads up if you are driving make sure the driver's band opens your room/villa door first. She said it was a wee glitch so this may change, but for now it is so.

I thought it was your band had to be used on the door in order for the gate to work but this did not do it!

After having trouble getting the automatic gate to work, one of the cast members asked my DH if his Magic Band was the FIRST one to open the room door. He said no, and her response that in order for his band to open the gate, it must be the first one to open the room.

SO just a heads up if you are driving make sure the driver's band opens your room/villa door first. She said it was a wee glitch so this may change, but for now it is so....
....well, that's kinda inconvenient.....:crazy:

Quick question...anyone know if you can request cribs at Kidani? Not pack n plays, but real cribs?

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who answered all my ridiculous questions before our trip. We got back last weekend...what an amazing amazing vacation. Animal Kingdom Lodge was phenomenal. I seriously can't say enough wonderful things about it. We had a savanna view room on the zebra trail and there were animals outside our balcony every morning. We were right by the elevators, which meant a quick walk to the Mara, and within a day or two my husband and I had a system where I would run down for coffee while he was in the shower and I would drink my coffee on the balcony and watch the animals have their breakfast. The room itself was nice - very clean (almost too clean...my only complaint is that there was a strong cleaner smell in our room...I probably should have asked if mouskeeping could use less of the cleaners, but it didn't occur to me until the end of the trip) and comfortable. Was glad we packed a nightlight and pop up hampers - was able to keep everything neat. No towel animals (not even a mickey head) but a couple of days mousekeeping did arrange my daughter's stuffed animals on the bed which was fun. We ate twice at Boma - one dinner, one brunch - and both were fabulous. We also ate at the Mara a LOT - most days we had breakfast there and I think we ended up back for dinner 5 nights. We actually really liked it - by the time we got back after a full day at the park we were hungry and it was tasty. :) I really liked the chicken pita and the Mara chicken salad - ordered them both multiple times - and my husband and daughter both really enjoyed the stew. My daughter did a few of the activities and really liked earning beads. If you're around for the African music activity, definitely do it. She loved it and we LOVED watching it - it was awesome. CMs were all great - we noticed tons of people cleaning up everywhere and everyone was so nice and friendly and helpful. We didn't have a lot of requests - extra towels one day and a late checkout on the day we left - and both were easily accommodated. The whole trip was just fabulous - already starting to save to go again! :)

I have two questions I have not been able to find answers...

I am wondering if all of the Jambo House Grand Villas are all Savana View or if there are some Standard View rooms.

I am wondering if all of the Jambo House Grand Villas have a pool table or if its only specific ones...because I have been seeing layout images of 2 small tables and chairs.

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter