Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

In response to the hot tub question:

I have not seen any lifeguards by the hot tub, and there were people using them around 8pm ... I don’t know the official policy.

Now I’m curious; how are the Keurig/K-cups different or better in your opinion? I’ve got to research this.

By the way, does anyone have a particular recommendation when it comes to pool view rooms? Thanks!!
Can’t help on the pool view but K-cups are far better than pods. Better quality and more variety.

Question, this may already been answer sorry.For a one night stay arriving around 7pm a standard room which trail would have the best standard view? And why? Thinking to request Zebra Trail . Thank you in
Advance.

Sooooooo excited!! Just changed up my winter break plans and will be at AKL 2/18-23!!! Ticker to change when I get home and am on the computer rather than my phone.
February

MaizeRage25, 10th - 11th, Jambo

Dug720, 18th - 23rd, AKL

We will be happy with anything on Kidani south trail (DVC point rental), but would prefer a lower floor. Should I include both on my room request? Or, by putting lower floor on the request, do I risk them putting us on a lower floor on North trail?

We happened to snag a studio deluxe savannah view for our very first DVC stay! It is in jambo house.... I don't know where I was reading, but is DVC only in the 5ht floor of Jambo? Suggestions on room views is much appreciated since we don't have park tickets for those days so we want to really enjoy our view. TIF

We happened to snag a studio deluxe savannah view for our very first DVC stay! It is in jambo house.... I don't know where I was reading, but is DVC only in the 5ht floor of Jambo? Suggestions on room views is much appreciated since we don't have park tickets for those days so we want to really enjoy our view. TIF
We are also doing this in December. First time. What should I ask for? How/where do i make that Request? What happens if i don't make a request? And what are the odds of request being filled (12/16 checkin)?

I just finalized a mother/son trip for Jan 3-9. (I booked it a month ago) Haven’t been to AKL for a few years, but my son has never stayed at this resort before. Since he is in college and is only slightly interested in a few park activities, I figure this is a nice resort to relax at before he heads back to school. I just purchased an AP in October when I was there, so that along with the Visa Discount was a good excuse to plan another trip:)

I picked out and requested 5301, and got it. Got home yesterday. No trees blocking the direct view. However because it's 5th floor, the tops of the trees block the view of the animals behind it, but nothing you can do about that since you can't get a different floor. Also, it's near the elevator, but not right near the elevator, if you know what I mean. Close enough to be convenient without listening to it all night. If you or your kids happen to play Pokemon Go, there's a Pokestop right there too.

Here's a video I took my first night.

My AKL review. This was my first time staying in a Deluxe resort. I went for the animals. I had this picture in mind of me sipping coffee in the morning on the balcony watching all the animals. That didn't happen. The animals get fed in the back somewhere around 9am, depending on the savannah. Since they can't tell time, they go line up by the back fence at sunrise. Then they don't come back until the keeper has filled all the feeders and hay that are on the savannah. So unless you are in your room for a significant about of time between 11am and sunset, you won't see much of the animals. I did stay to "hunt" animals on my Halloween Party day, instead of heading to a park before it. So that day, and the day I arrived were the only days I could see the animals during daylight hours.
It is a very nice resort. The bed was comfy, once I got on it. The bed was very high, but while waiting for the bus to the airport, I was talking to a couple who said they didn't have a box spring so their bed was very uncomfortable because it's so soft, but it wasn't high. I was staying in what is technically a DVC room, although I am not a DVC member. It was a Deluxe Studio w/Savannah View. It had a little kitchen area with a full size coffee pot, big (for a hotel room) fridge, toaster, microwave, sink. I don't know if you get all that in the non-DVC rooms.
Would I go back? Probably not. I justified the huge price difference from a moderate because I wanted to see animals. I wasn't expecting to have to be in my room during prime park going hours to see them. FYI, I am not an early bird, I didn't make it out of the resort before 10am on any day. I would recommend it to anyone who normally stays at a Deluxe, and is comfortable with the price tag. Maybe if you are going in the summer when sunset is much later, and you have young kids you want to get to bed early, then you could see the animals before it gets dark.

We have just booked today for September 2018.
A standard view room-As im reading I'm thinking of requesting the kudu trail..

Would anyone be so kind as to narrow my selection down to more specific when it comes to my request to Disney...

I'm more into quiet than noise
Which floor is best?
Don't want to be too far away from lobby
However; don't want too much foot traffic past room..
Kind of want it both ways!!

My AKL review. This was my first time staying in a Deluxe resort. I went for the animals. I had this picture in mind of me sipping coffee in the morning on the balcony watching all the animals. That didn't happen. The animals get fed in the back somewhere around 9am, depending on the savannah. Since they can't tell time, they go line up by the back fence at sunrise. Then they don't come back until the keeper has filled all the feeders and hay that are on the savannah. So unless you are in your room for a significant about of time between 11am and sunset, you won't see much of the animals. I did stay to "hunt" animals on my Halloween Party day, instead of heading to a park before it. So that day, and the day I arrived were the only days I could see the animals during daylight hours.
It is a very nice resort. The bed was comfy, once I got on it. The bed was very high, but while waiting for the bus to the airport, I was talking to a couple who said they didn't have a box spring so their bed was very uncomfortable because it's so soft, but it wasn't high. I was staying in what is technically a DVC room, although I am not a DVC member. It was a Deluxe Studio w/Savannah View. It had a little kitchen area with a full size coffee pot, big (for a hotel room) fridge, toaster, microwave, sink. I don't know if you get all that in the non-DVC rooms.
Would I go back? Probably not. I justified the huge price difference from a moderate because I wanted to see animals. I wasn't expecting to have to be in my room during prime park going hours to see them. FYI, I am not an early bird, I didn't make it out of the resort before 10am on any day. I would recommend it to anyone who normally stays at a Deluxe, and is comfortable with the price tag. Maybe if you are going in the summer when sunset is much later, and you have young kids you want to get to bed early, then you could see the animals before it gets dark.

I hope I don't come away wishing I hadn't. I am currently holding two reservations, one for POP and the other AKL. This is our first and maybe only Disney Vacation. I want to upgrade for the animals, to guarantee queen beds, it appears more relaxing, and I can be a bit of a hotel snob.

We have just booked today for September 2018.
A standard view room-As im reading I'm thinking of requesting the kudu trail..

Would anyone be so kind as to narrow my selection down to more specific when it comes to my request to Disney...

I'm more into quiet than noise
Which floor is best?
Don't want to be too far away from lobby
However; don't want too much foot traffic past room..
Kind of want it both ways!!

We are going in less than 2 weeks we used touring plans they will fax request and have room locations they will request an example of room you would like- it also has additional request box we asked for a bed rail for our daughter and asked that if they couldn't accomadate our examples of rooms that anywhere along the kudu trail would be appreciated- hopefully we will get a good view

Last edited:
Check in question— when we went in early 2016 and stayed at POR they were trying something “new” where we didn’t check in at the front desk. They just texted us with our room number and away we went. Are they still doing this? Everything I read mentions checking in at the front desk.

I hope I don't come away wishing I hadn't. I am currently holding two reservations, one for POP and the other AKL. This is our first and maybe only Disney Vacation. I want to upgrade for the animals, to guarantee queen beds, it appears more relaxing, and I can be a bit of a hotel snob.

There is no comparison: Pop to AKL. One a Value, the other a Deluxe. I’ve stayed many times at both. If this is going to be possibly your only trip, I truly hope you will choose AKL. It is absolutely, positively more relaxing than Pop!

Check in question— when we went in early 2016 and stayed at POR they were trying something “new” where we didn’t check in at the front desk. They just texted us with our room number and away we went. Are they still doing this? Everything I read mentions checking in at the front desk.

Yes, if you do online check-in and include your email address and/or mobile number, you may receive the email/text with your room number, enabling you to totally bypass the front desk. :thumbsup2

There is no comparison: Pop to AKL. One a Value, the other a Deluxe. I’ve stayed many times at both. If this is going to be possibly your only trip, I truly hope you will choose AKL. It is absolutely, positively more relaxing than Pop!

Another point of view......IF this is your only trip you will probably be spending the majority of your time in the parks. Will it be worth it for you to spend double the money if you are basically only sleeping there? Will there be more than two sleeping in the room? Pop is also more centrally located to the parks.

Having said that....AKL is my ABSOLUTE favorite resort, but we only stay there if it is a quiet vacation. If it's a go, go, go trip, it is not worth it TO ME. YMMV

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry it didn't meet your expectations. I have to say in all our stays here we did not have the lack of animals in the mornings that you experienced.

Another point of view......IF this is your only trip you will probably be spending the majority of your time in the parks. Will it be worth it for you to spend double the money if you are basically only sleeping there? Will there be more than two sleeping in the room? Pop is also more centrally located to the parks.

Having said that....AKL is my ABSOLUTE favorite resort, but we only stay there if it is a quiet vacation. If it's a go, go, go trip, it is not worth it TO ME. YMMV

There are 4 of us: Myself, DH, DS6, DD4. Its $700 more but its still a lot that's why if we select this reosrt I'm planning on 2 resort days to let my husband sleep in and enjoy resort amenities. AKL does put me over budget so I'm waiting until the end to decide to ensure no unforeseen costs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter