delete

First, even though it seems like things are looking good for a quick turn around on the employment front, apply for unemployment benefits - think of it as insurance for a just in case it takes longer than you expect scenario.
Second, you are not alone, I suspect most folks have experienced job loss at some point. Personally I was let go early in my career just after we had bought a house & we had a toddler & we needed my income, I was terrified & decided I wanted a job w/ more security & found one working for a governmental agency, fast forward a couple of decades & I’m now retired & enjoying the pension that comes w/ that career choice, a choice I would not have made but for being suddenly & unexpectedly let go.
Third, reach out to temp agencies, a temp job can help w/ finances while you search for a better job.
About 2 months before our scheduled WDW trip last Nov/Dec. my son was part of a large company’s mass layoffs (it made headlines) he actually found one job almost immediately & was onboarding there when he got a better offer from another company which he took. In both cases he was upfront about his planned vacation & it didn’t stop either company from offering him a job.
Finally, take that trip to WDW, I don’t know what your skill set is, but maybe apply for a job down there - I hear Disney is hiring 😂 you’re in your 20s, no dependents, you have the funds/resources to see you through, the trip will either be a much needed mental health break from your job search or a celebration of the new job you’ve started.

Since your airfare and hotel are already paid, and you have some savings and are already interviewing for new jobs, I would go. It might be your last chance to get away. Once you start a new job, you may not have vacation time right away. Take a little time to just be you.

Hope your interview went well and that you have a new job lined up soon!

I think it depends on whether your job is one that is easy to find or are you a more senior executive that might take a while to find a new job. Even though your hotel is prepaid doesn't mean it isn't refundable. I would also look into the change policy for your airline. Many airlines let you take a credit and use the money for future travel. I would much rather be conservative with my spending and reschedule for a time when I would feel more confident spending money. You mention living in Washington DC which is a high cost of living city. Even with savings you could blow through your savings quickly. Do you have enough money in your emergency fund for 3-6 month of expenses?

I would go - and don't underestimate signing on with a temp agency to get yourself some income in the meantime. I have gotten several jobs in my career by starting out temp and ending up permanent, or seeing another job posted at the company where I was temping and applying for it. It's a great way to get your foot in the door. And if nothing else, you could make enough to pay for your trip and at least maybe feel more secure about that decision :)

I think it depends on whether your job is one that is easy to find or are you a more senior executive that might take a while to find a new job. Even though your hotel is prepaid doesn't mean it isn't refundable. I would also look into the change policy for your airline. Many airlines let you take a credit and use the money for future travel. I would much rather be conservative with my spending and reschedule for a time when I would feel more confident spending money. You mention living in Washington DC which is a high cost of living city. Even with savings you could blow through your savings quickly. Do you have enough money in your emergency fund for 3-6 month of expenses?

Most Senior Executives are given nice severance packages upon termination, so even if that were the case, taking a vacation isn't a bad idea. My friend got laid off from a finance job and got a 1 year severance package. She didn't work again for almost 3 years. She went back to school instead and took a LOT of vacations. She had a lot of money saved up before she got laid off.

I would definitely follow through with my Disney plans. It's only for a couple of days. Reading you have savings let's me know you're money cautious and a saver. You probably have a Disney budget and have already set aside money for tickets and food.

Go and enjoy yourself. Just tell your new employer your start date will be March 6th if you receive a job offer.

I’d go! Your additional expenses are fairly minimal. I like the idea of switching hotels.

My husband was laid off on Monday. Reduction in Force of the corporate office of a home builder company. We have an Aulani trip planned for July. We have time, but also sunk costs… I’m worried. But we have time to see what happens. Nothing is better or worse a few months from now. But in your case, I’d totally go.

I would definitely follow through with my Disney plans. It's only for a couple of days. Reading you have savings let's me know you're money cautious and a saver. You probably have a Disney budget and have already set aside money for tickets and food.

Go and enjoy yourself. Just tell your new employer your start date will be March 6th if you receive a job offer.

That's a good idea! Especially since were already in February now. Most of the professional jobs ive had had me start 3 wks to a month after the offer. I will do that on my future applications now! :)

You know what is best for you. I might see if you can change your resort to a value, save some money if you still decide to go. As long as you have enough savings for at least 2 months, then maybe. Because even if you were to be offered a job tomorrow, it could take 4 weeks to hire you depending on the company. And then a few weeks for a first paycheck. Good luck in your search.
This...I would also in the meantime go out and get a job...any job while you are applying/interviewing for a new job in your career field. - I guess this is assuming you aren't collecting unemployment...if you are then I guess you have to weigh the difference. Would you be ok going, but just as a resort trip so you can save on the tix?

I'm not sure what to think here.... OP asked a question, but hasn't provided any actual info to some valid points made.... such as, have you checked with airline to see if you can get a credit for future use? or do you actually have 3 months (at least) of savings to keep you afloat,aside from trip expenses? Those are very important questions. OP, you have only bought airline tickets. As noted, 2 nights at that hotel,plus park tickets, plus travel expenses plus food expenses at Disney are going to be quite a bit more out of pocket expense. So this trip isn't 'mostly paid for' yet....as Disney hotel can easily be canceled or postponed. Since it's your decision I'll leave it here but I try to err on the side of caution financially.

I understand that your airfare is nonrefundable, but I would check to see if you could get a credit or voucher for a future flight. That being said, I would still postpone the trip until another time.

So sorry to hear about your layoff. If it makes you feel any better, I was laid off WHILE at Disney. I was in line for the Magic Carpets of Aladdin when my manager called! Didn't let it ruin my trip and I had a new job I loved within a couple months. It sounds like you are a responsible person who isn't spending your rent/mortgage money to go to Disney, you just need something to look forward to. I have also, more than once, made a pre-planned vacation a condition of my employment and never had an issue. Agree you don't want to work for someone long term who will give you a problem about something so small. Go and enjoy! And best of luck in your job search!
Oh, dear. My old company went through MASSIVE layoffs while someone much beloved was in Paris. His friends contacted him, but the company did not. I worked for senior management & knew they didn't believe in contacting people on vacation. When he returned, people asked if he had been cut & he said, "I'll find out pretty soon." He was. I couldn't decide whether it would have been worse for them to call him.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and seeing everyone's different perspectives and priorities. Just an update to anyone who is interested and since the op never came back to give us her decision........she did end up going to Disney. She has a small trip report on that board. Glad she had a good time.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and seeing everyone's different perspectives and priorities. Just an update to anyone who is interested and since the op never came back to give us her decision........she did end up going to Disney. She has a small trip report on that board. Glad she had a good time.

I'm sorry, it is been a busy time since ive been fired. So far ive had several interviews (at least 1 a week). Nothing huge yet but it is still early. Im doing the best I can and I appreciate all of the responses! <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter