I've Been Vaccinated (No Politics Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had shingrix vaccine and was absolutely shocked at how bad the side effects were.
I had the shingrix vaccine (2 shots) 2 years ago when I was 49. My family md gave me the script to take to the pharmacy for the shots as I have an aunt who has had shingles in her eyes 3x plus. After witnessing that, I pushed to get it early. Was fine after the first shot, but after the second shot def ran a temperature, had chills and very sore arm for a good 48 hrs. Certainly a much more noticeable reaction than I've had to the flu shot over the years. Only issue for me is how long the protection will last because had the shots young but hope will be some more options once I hit my late 60s. Paid OOP and it was $ but worth every penny. Once you watch that kind of suffering, you open the wallet.

Just waiting for my 50+ age group to open. In rural Central/Eastern Ontario and we are usually a good week to 2 weeks behind Ottawa and larger centres. I check the website every day. One tip is to check the night before and just before 8am the day of and take notice of the last 'update' date. A tell that another category is likely to open asap.

What exactly were your symptoms? I recently had shingrix vaccine and was absolutely shocked at how bad the side effects were. It won't stop me from getting the Covid vaccine though. I just want to brace myself. :scared:

We got our shots Sunday afternoon so the only thing we felt that day was being tender at the injection site. On Monday we both felt achy and tired. I kind of felt hot but no fever. Then Monday evening we both got the chills for a while. Tuesday we both felt much better, just still a bit tired. Yesterday we were back to normal. We got flu shots last fall and only had sore arms so this was certainly a bit more of a "we're catching something" sort of feeling.

I hope it goes well for you!

Well, that's not exactly the way they're doing it in Alberta, but close. As of Monday, anyone between the ages of 55-64 can be vaccinated with Astra Zeneca on a walk-in basis at any of the 100 or so participating pharmacies in the province. If you are in that age group and want to wait for Pfizer or Moderna, the estimate on eligibility/availability is currently the end of May. And of course, government and health authorities are highly encouraging people not to wait.

After quite a bit of reading, I'm personally OK with that aspect. The instance of blood clots is extremely rare. In the EU there have been 169 identified out of the 34 MILLION doses of AZ administered. I am however, concerned about efficacy against variants. It's apparently reasonably effective against the UK and Brazil variants but very ineffective against the South African variant.

:scratchin It's a tough decision. Alberta's variant problems are almost entirely the Brazil with a little UK and currently no active cases of South Africa. But if one of my main goals for vaccination is being free to travel at some point, it might be much less safe elsewhere. I'm just not sure but I want to decide before the weekend. DH has his first appointment on Sunday (pending availability of Pfizer or Moderna) and I want us to be vaccinated on as close to the same schedule as possible.

It is not currently approved for use in the US. That turned out to be a blessing for us here, after more than our share of supply issues. Your government gave/sold it's 1.5 million dose stockpile to us to keep it from going past it's expiry date and going to waste. :thanks:

What exactly were your symptoms? I recently had shingrix vaccine and was absolutely shocked at how bad the side effects were. It won't stop me from getting the Covid vaccine though. I just want to brace myself. :scared:
55 and got Pfizer

As I wrote yesterday, my husband and I were vaccinated and I’m just back here to give an update.

My husband has a sore arm at the injection site but I do not. He feels fine otherwise but I woke with a huge headache and felt really warm but have no fever. The headache is starting to pass though so overall, not too bad!!!

I just got a happy surprise. DH (67) was called unexpectedly this morning to fill a spot on the last-minute cancellation list so he high-tailed it to the vaccination centre and received his first dose of Moderna. His scheduled appointment for April 11 will now be offered to someone else. :goodvibes

I’m now almost 48 hours post vaccination (1st dose Pfizer) so far, so good. I have had a minimal reaction, fatigue and dull headache on & off. Strangely nothing at the injection site. With other vaccinations I get the expected arm soreness and heat and firmness in the deltoid muscle... 🤔

I was chatting with a friend who also received pfizer.. she said her main reaction came on day 6 post vaccination... then she felt “flu-ish” for about 24 hours. So I guess I wait to see how my immune system is going to react. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m now almost 48 hours post vaccination (1st dose Pfizer) so far, so good. I have had a minimal reaction, fatigue and dull headache on & off. Strangely nothing at the injection site. With other vaccinations I get the expected arm soreness and heat and firmness in the deltoid muscle... 🤔

I was chatting with a friend who also received pfizer.. she said her main reaction came on day 6 post vaccination... then she felt “flu-ish” for about 24 hours. So I guess I wait to see how my immune system is going to react. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Sorry if I missed it, but are you and your friend both over 65 or were you in some other category that gave you access to Pfizer?

I just turned 65 back in December 😊. Made the cut with less then 2 weeks to spare!
Friend is 71...
:cheer2:Ah, yes - being old is so great!! ;) I turned 55 on March 30 and availability of Astra Zeneca for 55 - 64 opened up on April 6 so yay for me! (Still deciding if I want it, but it's wonderful to have the option.)

:cheer2:Ah, yes - being old is so great!! ;) I turned 55 on March 30 and availability of Astra Zeneca for 55 - 64 opened up on April 6 so yay for me! (Still deciding if I want it, but it's wonderful to have the option.)

There has to be some benefit to the ever climbing number! lol.. 😉

A wise woman gave me the advice that with things going the way they are with the new variants... “any needle is a good needle at this point” 😊. If Pfizer hadn’t been available through our public health department.. I would have booked at my local pharmacy for the AZ shot.

There has to be some benefit to the ever climbing number! lol.. 😉

A wise woman gave me the advice that with things going the way they are with the new variants... “any needle is a good needle at this point” 😊. If Pfizer hadn’t been available through our public health department.. I would have booked at my local pharmacy for the AZ shot.
{{sigh}} For some reason it feels like a very big decision now that it's actually in front of me. I talked to my MD this morning via telehealth and his response to the question surprised me. He said that as a health-care professional working in a high-risk environment, he himself would absolutely take AZ if it was the only option. He then said that personally, he wouldn't even consider taking it at all if the mRNA options were available. He refused to advocate either for-or-against. He also said that in general, your average family doctors (other than their educational and experiential backgrounds) have no more information about the constantly changing Covid science than anyone else does. They hear the news, surf the web, talk to one another and wait for the occasional statement/directive from the provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons to provide mandates. :scratchin All in all, a very thought-provoking conversation.

So for me, if I could get the AZ I would. I also feel that any needle is a good needle at this point. I will sign up for whatever is available to me first and fastest. And combined with the fact if someone doesn't take the AZ and waits for one of the others, it leaves less of those others for those who aren't even being given the option to choose. I wouldn't want to wait. I do understand if there are other influences, allergies or whatever, but I don't think they will get to my age any time soon, and if everyone who could get the AZ chooses not to, it will take that much longer. I don't think they would have been approved for use if they weren't going to do a good job, and they all do prevent death and hospitalization. If you have a choice, and both options are available, sure, get what you want. But if it's only one being offered, why would you wait?

@ronandannette, this was the question I grappled with yesterday. My thought is that I'm not sure the 55-59 age group is going to be offered the mRNA vaccines in the near future. In Ontario, we weren't scheduled to get vaccines until Phase 3. I was originally figuring on June/July sometime.

I think the next rollout will be the front line workers (teachers, grocery store workers, factory workers and hot spots). After that they will need the mRNA for those under 55 as AZ isn't recommended for them (at the moment). That will leave AZ or J&J (if it ever arrives) as options for those 55-59 and older if they haven't yet received their vaccine.

Those variants are causing a lot of conern. I'm not comfortable waiting until I can "maybe" get and mRNA when there are other options available today. Like Jacqueline said, Get out and get that jab, doesn't matter which one, just get it!

Just my thoughts.

{{sigh}} For some reason it feels like a very big decision now that it's actually in front of me. I talked to my MD this morning via telehealth and his response to the question surprised me. He said that as a health-care professional working in a high-risk environment, he himself would absolutely take AZ if it was the only option. He then said that personally, he wouldn't even consider taking it at all if the mRNA options were available. He refused to advocate either for-or-against. He also said that in general, your average family doctors (other than their educational and experiential backgrounds) have no more information about the constantly changing Covid science than anyone else does. They hear the news, surf the web, talk to one another and wait for the occasional statement/directive from the provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons to provide mandates. :scratchin All in all, a very thought-provoking conversation.

I worried about getting the AstraZeneca as well but in my earlier post, I discussed what my doctors said. No, they don’t know any more than the info out there. However, they all mentioned that statistically, they are extremely safe. Obviously not helpful for the people who did get a clot. However, we all have so many other things that can cause us harm as they mentioned....eating too much junk, being overweight and we don’t worry so much about those things.

All of the vaccines we have now are reported to offer some protection from the variants. For me, I would like to be protected now, while cases of those aren’t too high. Once you get Covid, you have it. Then it’s too late to worry about it.

I totally understand your concern. You have to do what is right for you. Just remember that more and more people are reaching out to the pharmacies for appointments so you may not get any vaccine for a while. Good luck with your decision.

First I would think about what your main concern is. If it’s level of protection, well that all offer a good level of protection. If it’s the blood clots, I suggest you look up the risk of blood clots when taking birth control pills. Then compare that to the risk of blood clots with the vaccine. You will see the vaccine has a much lower risk then birth control. I’m not saying you should take that vaccine. But look up that actual number for yourself and then decide. The media is really overhyping the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter