Ivan on Thursday Sept. 16?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by willproph, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. willproph

    willproph Earning My Ears

    Apr 23, 2004
    We are scheduled to go on our first trip to Disney World on Thursday September 16. It looks like if Ivan hits, it will be on Tuesday and will be cleared out by Thursday. I know that there will be damage, but it should be safe to travel and the airport should be up and running.

    Does everyone agree with me? My 3 year old is so excited and won't notice storm damage so long as the Magic Kingdom is still there.

    I of course want the storm to weaken, but my family lived through Hugo in SC and I understand the reality of the storms.

  2. KevinFSU

    KevinFSU Mickey and Seminoles #1

    Jun 26, 2003
    We are supposed to go down on Friday the 17th, and are still planning on it. Though powerful, Ivan is a rather small storm. When it hits land, it is going to significantly weaken. The current path has it going over a lot of land. Of course who knows, one path had Frances making a direct impact on Jacksonville, but struck well south. I would still plan on going.
  3. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort.


    to hide this advert.
  4. enchantedpixiedust

    enchantedpixiedust <font color=green>I always need a rest from vacati

    Apr 28, 2004
    We're driving from Texas leaving on the 17th - still planning on going.
  5. skiwee1

    skiwee1 DIS Veteran

    Sep 1, 2000
    I just heard that Ivan is now a Cat 5 storm with winds almost off the charts at 160mph! I cannot imagine the horror of going through two hurricanes in 3 weeks with yet a worse one to possibly come. We went through Isabel last year, a small Cat 2, and that was bad enough. Hopefully Ivan will turn.
  6. Rozzie

    Rozzie DIS Cast Member<br><font color=blue>give me a good

    Aug 3, 2004
    We are leaving sept 17th....If it stays close to the path it is now, it will be gone by thursday at latest. No, I am not an expert, but a gulf coast resident that has long quit counting hurricanes experienced. Frances was UNUSUAL. not the norm. usually they don't stall. I say usually with caution, however. but when they stall, they weaken quickly if over any land mass.

    Go to noaa.com, don't watch the weather channel. They will have you hiding in your bathroom in California. I think it is a field day for them for ratings, scary music, same tree down on same road for 4 day images.

    My prayers do go out to my fellow florida residents, I have lots of family down there. In no way do I want to cheapen the danger of hurricanes, just wish there was not so much dramatics and just factual news reports.
  7. arizonacolbys

    arizonacolbys Owner of 2 Crazy Labs!

    Aug 9, 2002
    We fly into Orlando around lunchtime on Weds 9/15 - as of right now - we are still planning on going. Need a vacation - & have been planning & looking forward to this for so long! :) Unless things change drastically - we'll be at POP next week!!! :)
  8. harlock_jds

    harlock_jds Mouseketeer

    Jul 19, 2004
    i'm leaveing on the 19'th and i'm not even considering canceling. sure i'll change my plans if Disney ends up in oz or something but right now i'm not even sure ivan is going to hit florada.
  9. mrFDNY

    mrFDNY <font color=red>I'll be back mrFDNY. I have my ey

    Jun 30, 2004
    we also are planning to arrive at disney on the 17th,we will be watching ivan close to see what it does. its still far out there and things could change.should be past orlando by the 16 and disney is quick at cleaning up and getting back to bussiness.we'll all have to wait and see, but just in case does anyone know how to get to oz and could you give me the directions?
  10. Luvofdisney

    Luvofdisney Earning My Ears

    May 19, 2004
    We too are starting out from Long Island on wed. the 15th driving, we will take our time and get there by thurs. afternoon at some point. Hopefully by then all will be o.k. I have family in Fla. and am very worried for them, I hope Ivan goes away or at least dies down,
    We really want to keep the trip on if at all possible, other then this trip we would not be able to postpone for 2 years so we're keeping plans as "on" for now:earsgirl:
    That doesn't mean right now I'm not freaking out and totally sick to my stomach right now:earseek:
    Michele spera
    who is with all of you!
    "Ivan go away"
  11. SomeSayImGoofy

    SomeSayImGoofy ...and ya know what? They're RIGHT!

    Jul 13, 2004
    I think all you need to do is get someone to hit you over the head with a screen door... to get home, you'll have to grab somebodys tacky red-sequined shoes... :)
  12. wizzytoon

    wizzytoon Mouseketeer DIS Lifetime Sponsor

    May 26, 2004
    mrFDNY it is “Second star to the right,” , “and then straight on till morning.” oh wait.........that's the way to Neveland Sorry:wave2:
  13. LisaZoe

    LisaZoe Mouseketeer

    Jul 1, 2004
    My DD and I are scheduled to fly into MCO on Tuesday, 9/14 around 6:00 PM. Since that is currently the day the projections show Ivan might be hitting Orlando, I'm definitely going to keep checking its progress. Right now, though, I'm not changing our travel plans but will definitely do so if necessary. While I am very ready to go now, I won't mind too much if we need to reschedule. The main thing is that we <B>will</B> be going to WDW soon!
  14. mamamia

    mamamia Mouseketeer

    Mar 5, 2002
    We are supposed to arrive at MCO thursday morning (9/16) from New York. We are going to keep an eye on Ivan. As of now if the airports are open, we are going. The good thing for me on this trip is that we are heading to Universal first, so if my trip does get delayed I won't be too upset. We don't get to Disney until the 19th.
  15. Pigsty333

    Pigsty333 I get censored all the time

    Jan 3, 2001
    No matter what happens, good luck to everyone and their trips. We have survived both. However, Ivan is shifting a little, but not enough. Orlando International Airport closed last Friday morning to any incoming and outgoing flights. It did not reopen until the 6th. It did suffer substantial damage during Charley and then with Frances.

    There are gates that you have to exit the planes and walk on the tarmac because those accordion hallways got blown away. The area around Southwest, Air Tran terminals had their roofs blown off. They have been working pretty hard to keep it open. My husband is part of the maintenance crew at Orlando, so as soon as I hear anything from him about closings, I will post it.

    Other than that, enjoy your vacation if you venture and come out to Florida during this awful hurricane season.
  16. 1018scr

    1018scr Earning My Ears

    Jun 7, 2003
    We live near Tampa. We are planning to evacuate to PORS if it comes our way. We have ressies for Sunday - Wednesday. Is anyone else leaving the Florida coast to wait out the storm with Mickey Mouse?
  17. Tinkerbell04

    Tinkerbell04 Mouseketeer

    Jul 3, 2004
    My parents are flying in MCO on Saturday the 11th with my DD. I am supposed to fly in on the morning of the 15th to meet them....I hope!
  18. Stitch's mom

    Stitch's mom Can't wait to go back!!!

    Aug 16, 2004
    What a great idea. My sister lives in St. Pete and I'll tell her to evacuate and how can she refuse THE WORLD? She is married to one stubborn man and he WON'T leave. :scared1: Maybe I'll tell her to leave him home and meet me there on Saturday!:smooth: Take care! My DD (11) picked out the smilies as she delayed bedtime!
  19. Alicnwondrln

    Alicnwondrln DIS Veteran

    Jul 8, 2003
    Well I fly outta logan on the 18th at 630 am
    If the planes leaving im going
  20. Dizzy4Dizney

    Dizzy4Dizney Mother to the Princess

    Mar 18, 2001
    DH & I have been going back and forth on this all week. It's been very stressful, but I'm sure not as stressful for all people living in Florida.

    We are still planning on coming Sat and hope for the best. We gave money to the Red Cross to help with the relief effort and we plan to spend more to help with the Florida economy.

    I pray to God all day that he spares Florida with this one. I hope he's listening today.
  21. A Mickeyfan

    A Mickeyfan DIS Veteran

    May 31, 2000
    I will warn you all about our gas situation here. I am on the SW Gulf Side and our local news has said that if we want to get gas, we need to get it now, if we can find it. The aren't bringing any into my area & other places in the state as well. Maybe someone can verify what is up in their area of the state. The ports are closed & the tankers can't get in. They are bracing for Ivan & some are damaged from the other storms. If you plan on coming, expect long lines for gas, even if the storm ends up not hitting near Orlando. Our state isnt' doing the greatest now & Ivan will be the icing on the cake. I hate to sound so down, but those of you who haven't seen it first hand have no clue. Disney may look good, but surrounding area's don't. My sister is north of Daytona & she has said they have the gas shortage as well as food. Her local deliveries for "cold" items are all on hold until they see what it happening with Ivan. Stores don't want to loose any more inventory. Same thing is happening here... I can't find milk anywhere. Sounds as if it isn't true, but I am sure there are others on this board that can verify what I am saying. Sorry for bringing bad news to all of you, but if you can cancel, please do so. The Keys are evacuating, Collier may be soon, not sure about Lee (I am there). Roads are flooded out, sink holes on I-95 & I-75. Parts of all major roads are closed (either debris, flooding, sink holes). It is a mess. We have large trucks all over doing clean up, traffic is slower, we have people driving from all over the US to come & help.. I know I sound crazy but that has been my life here since 8/13. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying to cancel so we can have your rooms at Disney. Most of us may not even want to head out there anymore since Orlando has been hit twice in 3 weeks.

Share This Page