It's Payback, European Style! A trip to Bavaria & Austria for DIS friends! - An afternoon of Wine and Cruising 6/11

franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
Welcome to another franandaj trip report! This is becoming a trend for me, doing these non-Disney Trip Reports! LOL! But there is a DISboards connection here! Bear with me!

Last year Fran (my wife of over 26 years) passed away. When she passed, I was in the middle of writing a Trip Report from our last vacation that we took together. It was a Disney Cruise out of San Diego.

It took me a couple months to come back to the DIS after her passing, and when I did return, I had already planned a rigorous travel schedule for the summer of 2023. One of the things that I had decided to do was “pay back” all the folks who came to visit me at Disneyland. A lot of people said to me, “Whenever you’re in [insert city/province/country here], I’ll show you around.” So I started planning trips that did just that.

Well once my friends in Germany and Austria heard that I was planning to visit places this conversation began on the DISboards.

q24GA0401INT01.jpg

q24GA0401INT02.jpg

Well unfortunately, Jill didn’t have the PTO to accompany me on this trip (we have more plans coming up this year), so it was essentially me traveling solo, but I had friends everywhere I went. The only things I navigated on my own were the flights and the trains.

So let’s introduce the cast of characters. Magdalene is German, her husband Michael spent a lot of his life living in Florida. He goes back and forth between his German home and his American home, and he had only arrived back in Germany about a week before I arrived. He doesn’t like his picture being taken, and though we have met up quite a few times since our original in person meeting, I don’t have any recent (before the trip) pictures of him.

If you don’t know Magdalene, she is @Flossbolna on the DIS, and you can check out her TRs to find out more about her. I had to go all the way back to 2013 for this picture of Magdalene and myself, Fran is also pictured.

q24GA0401INT03.jpg

The other starring roles are played by sister and brother, Karin and Tom. She used to write a lot of Trip Reports on the DIS. Karin still shares their numerous journeys, but with a smaller group of folks mostly made of people she met on the DIS. The two are sitting on the left side of this photo next to Jill. They also do not like having their photos taken and you will not see many (or maybe any) of them in this TR! This photo dates back to 2018 when we all sailed on the Fantasy together.

q24GA0401INT04.JPG

So now you have a bit of background as to how the trip came together, here are the main details. I booked my tickets to Frankfurt on miles that Fran had on her American Airlines account. I flew round trip Business Class from LAX, with a stop in Dallas, where I picked up the International flight.

From Frankfurt, I took the train to Nuremberg, where I stayed for five nights, and then took the train to Linz, where I stayed for seven nights, and then returned to Frankfurt where I stayed in the airport hotel the night before my flight home. Magdalene was able to arrange my train tickets which was a tremendous help! As you will see I still have a few train mishaps, but nothing too bad!

Everything else was left up to my tour guides. They all did a fantastic job of keeping me entertained, fed, and keeping up my step count!

So let’s get this party started!

It was Wednesday morning, April 24, 2024. The alarm went off at 4:45. I'm getting pretty good at waking up for these early flights. According to my fitbit I went to sleep at 8:41PM the night before and immediately fell into a deep sleep. Not bad, I got about 6 ½ hours of sleep.

I had picked out my clothes for the flight several days before, so getting dressed was easy. No dilemmas there. Normally for my flights I would take a JUber (that's what we call Naked Jim when he drives me places). However just one week before, he had both his knees replaced so he was a little bit out of commission. Instead I asked my helper and cleaning lady, Donna, to give me a ride to the airport. I asked her to pick me up at 5:30, and she was early, better than late!

I fed the cats, made some coffee and then we were off! We were on the road by quarter to 6AM. The drive was fairly easy, and just after 6:30AM I was checking in and dropping off my bag. Evidently I neglected to add my Global Entry Passid to my ticket. At first I wasn't going to worry about it. I didn't have my number handy. But then I remembered that I had emails with my Global Entry and could access the number that way. I checked with the ticketing agent and he was able to add it to my ticket. Boy am I glad I did that, the regular line was super long!

He also told me that the Flagship Lounge was right next to my gate. I did not know that American had a lounge! I sailed through security and soon I was enjoying a “make it yourself” Bloody Mary as well as some fruit, salami and cheese.

q24GA0424TD01.jpg

My stomach is never ready for food early in the morning. Usually I need to wait a few hours before I'm actually hungry, so I just had a little snack. If I wanted I could have totally pigged out! They had everything from breakfast pastries to California Rolls, Lox & Bagels, eggs, tacos, sausage, oatmeal, and miso soup. There was more, but a lot of it was stuff I wouldn't eat, so I didn't bother to figure out what it was. I think it was roasted Brussel Sprouts and there was a weird pizza-like thing.

They had an entire full bar, a big selection of beers, wines, champagne, all self service!

I still had about half an hour before I wanted to leave to wait at the gate. My flight began boarding at 8:25AM and I decided I could hang out at the lounge until 8AM. So I poured myself a glass of Grüner Veltliner and sat at a table with a view of my plane.

q24GA0424TD02.jpg

q24GA0424TD03.jpg

At 8AM I left the tranquility of the lounge to wait at the gate. It was fairly chaotic and the gate agent had to keep telling people to back off from the gate. I was in Boarding Group #1 and it seemed like half the waiting area was in that group.

Finally I was able to board the plane. I was pleasantly surprised to find that First/Business Class had these pod style seats. It was a less than three hour flight and I did not expect this on the short haul flight. From Dallas to Frankfurt, yes, but this was a pleasant surprise.

q24GA0424TD04.jpg

Here’s me, pleasantly surprised about the seats on this plane!

q24GA0424TD05.jpg

I decided to watch Wonka, on the In-flight entertainment system. I thought it was rather amusing, not the greatest movie, but I do have to say Hugh Grant was amazing. When the beverage service came by I had a glass of white wine.

q24GA0424TD06.jpg

Later they came by offering breakfast. I passed on the breakfast enchilada which had cheese, corn, and egg. Instead I opted for the fruit plate with Vanilla Greek Yogurt.

q24GA0424TD07.jpg

I added the blueberries to the yogurt and topped it with the granola, and just ate the melon, pineapple, and strawberry by themselves. It wasn't a ton of food, but it would tide me over until I could get to the AA lounge in Dallas. I'm sure they have some great offerings as it is one of their hubs.

I finished the movie with just enough Time to visit the facilities before we began our descent Into Dallas and the captain turned on the Fasten Seat Belts sign. We landed on-time without incident.

I found the Admirals Club, and this was a sad club compared to what I'd seen in LA. The buffet had some hummus, pita chips, Greek salad, salsa, and some cheese cubes. On my second go around I discovered Chicken Tortilla soup and MInestrone Soup. So I had some of the latter. I got a glass of Chardonnay and ate my soup.

q24GA0424TD08.jpg

I really wanted to use the restroom, but the entire time I was in the lounge the ladies room had a sign on it that it was closed for cleaning. Luckily there was a companion restroom. I found a second buffet area as I was getting ready to leave. This one had some teriyaki chicken and a quinoa rice mix, but it didn't look very appetizing. I grabbed a few brownie bites before leaving.

q24GA0424TD09.jpg

Finally I leave the USA on this long awaited journey! Tune in to see how my visit to Bavaria and Austria turns out!

I'm in too 8-) :rotfl2: I know I don't leave you many notes :rolleyes1 but I always follow along with interest. Loving all your adventures!

Count me in! I've had the good fortune to have spent 2 days in Innsbruck on a previous trip and loved it. Very keen to spend more time in the area 😊

This is becoming a trend for me, doing these non-Disney Trip Reports!
I’m okay with that. You have enough Disney stuff going that makes this a really nice diversion
Well once my friends in Germany and Austria heard that I was planning to visit places this conversation began on the DISboards.
That looks familiar.
Magdalene is German
We’ve never “spoken” I don’t think but have seen her here and on other TRs.
The other starring roles are played by sister and brother, Karin and Tom. She used to write a lot of Trip Reports on the DIS.
I don’t know them, though.
I booked my tickets to Frankfurt on miles
Nice. :)
I flew round trip Business Class
Even nicer!
From Frankfurt, I took the train to Nuremberg
I’ve done that exact trip. :)
then took the train to Linz
Haven’t been there, though. Looking forward to seeing/reading more.
According to my fitbit I went to sleep at 8:41PM the night before and immediately fell into a deep sleep. Not bad, I got about 6 ½ hours of sleep.
That’s not bad at all considering the early morning start.
Normally for my flights I would take a JUber (that's what we call Naked Jim when he drives me places)
:laughing:
However just one week before, he had both his knees replaced so he was a little bit out of commission
:eek: Both! :faint:
How’s he doing?
I fed the cats, made some coffee and then we were off!
I think Jim usually takes care of the cats when you’re away? Who was taking care of them this time?
Evidently I neglected to add my Global Entry Passid to my ticket. At first I wasn't going to worry about it. I didn't have my number handy. But then I remembered that I had emails with my Global Entry and could access the number that way. I checked with the ticketing agent and he was able to add it to my ticket. Boy am I glad I did that, the regular line was super long!
Glad you were able to add that on.
I sailed through security and soon I was enjoying a “make it yourself” Bloody Mary as well as some fruit, salami and cheese.
Starting the trip off right!
They had everything from breakfast pastries to California Rolls, Lox & Bagels, eggs, tacos, sausage, oatmeal, and miso soup.
Not too shabby!
They had an entire full bar, a big selection of beers, wines, champagne, all self service!
Whoooo… that could be dangerous!
At 8AM I left the tranquility of the lounge to wait at the gate. It was fairly chaotic and the gate agent had to keep telling people to back off from the gate.
I wonder why? Plane ain’t leaving until everyone is aboard.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that First/Business Class had these pod style seats.
Sweet. :)
Here’s me, pleasantly surprised about the seats on this plane!
Looking pleased as punch. :)
I decided to watch Wonka, on the In-flight entertainment system. I thought it was rather amusing, not the greatest movie, but I do have to say Hugh Grant was amazing.
Haven’t seen it. I’ll have to see if it’s available.
I found the Admirals Club, and this was a sad club compared to what I'd seen in LA
Really? Well, poop.
Tune in to see how my visit to Bavaria and Austria turns out!
popcorn::

So happy to see this started! Will be a lot of fun to relive our experiences together and to find out in detail what you did in Austria.

I did not even remember until I saw the screenshot how this trip idea even started! But it was so great to have you here! I know we will see you in California again, but you are always welcome back in Germany and I will be happy to show you around other parts of the country, too!!

I recognized some of the pictures in the lounge and on the plane, looking forward to reading more!

What a lovely start to your travels! Nice, luxurious seat, plenty of travel beverages and snacks. Can't wait to hear all about this incredible adventure!

A lot of people said to me, “Whenever you’re in [insert city/province/country here], I’ll show you around.” So I started planning trips that did just that.
:wave::wave:
Great picture of the 3 of you 💙💙💙
sister and brother, Karin and Tom. She used to write a lot of Trip Reports on the DIS.
I have always loved Karin's TR's, she has a kinda similar style to you
Everything else was left up to my tour guides. They all did a fantastic job of keeping me entertained, fed, and keeping up my step count!
They sure did from my glimpses! Can't wait to read more!

Not bad, I got about 6 ½ hours of sleep.
That's excellent in my opinion for a pre-trip early start day!
I would take a JUber
hehe I laughed out loud at this as you know!
I sailed through security and soon I was enjoying a “make it yourself” Bloody Mary
you know it's going to be a good lounge when they have a specific drink station!

If I wanted I could have totally pigged out!
sounds like lots of choices for different people, nice!

Perfect! 🥂
Finally I was able to board the plane. I was pleasantly surprised to find that First/Business Class had these pod style seats.
Nice seat! Very specious and the fruit you had looked fairly fresh as well!

Great start!

:welcome:

I’m okay with that. You have enough Disney stuff going that makes this a really nice diversion
Yeah, at this point I have three TRs going on! :eek: But I'm about to run out of material for one of them, and then I'll do the rest as bonus features on the one that is still underway.
That looks familiar.
Hello Winnipeg! :wave2:
We’ve never “spoken” I don’t think but have seen her here and on other TRs.
Actually I remember you and she having a discussion about something "German", perhaps of Liesa's TR a few years back......
I don’t know them, though.
Karen has not been on the boards in quite a long time.
I’ve done that exact trip. :)
Not difficult at all!
Haven’t been there, though. Looking forward to seeing/reading more.
It was a very nice city! Right on the Danube, lots of neat places to see!
That’s not bad at all considering the early morning start.
And considering my previous track record......
:eek: Both! :faint:
How’s he doing?
He's starting to get around. His apartment is on the second floor, and he is able to get down the stairs (with a lot of difficulty), but he is managing to get out of the house for doctor's visits and such. Still not sure when he will be back to regular activity, possibly six months from surgery.
I think Jim usually takes care of the cats when you’re away? Who was taking care of them this time?
Well, since his knees were giving him problems, he wasn't able to do more than just put down the food for the cats, so for the last few months, he and Donna were doing a tag team where she did the mornings and he did the evenings.
Glad you were able to add that on.
Me too! The regular lines was SUPER long!
Starting the trip off right!
:thumbsup2
Whoooo… that could be dangerous!
I know! I tried to pace myself, I had an entire day of complimentary wine in front of me! :laughing:
I wonder why? Plane ain’t leaving until everyone is aboard.
Well they were trying to do the preboarding, and all the ancy people in Group #1 were clogging up the gate area so that none of the wheelchairs and such could get through.
Haven’t seen it. I’ll have to see if it’s available.
I'm sure it's available, just how much you want to pay to see it! 😂
Really? Well, poop.
Yeah, it was very disappointing in comparison to the LA lounge.

So happy to see this started!
:welcome:
Will be a lot of fun to relive our experiences together and to find out in detail what you did in Austria.
Yes! That's one of the things I like most about writing TRs is reliving the experience, choosing the pictures and thinking about everything all over again!
I did not even remember until I saw the screenshot how this trip idea even started! But it was so great to have you here!
I remembered exactly! :rotfl2: I thought it was hilarious how each of you "allowed" me to have some time in each country!
I know we will see you in California again, but you are always welcome back in Germany and I will be happy to show you around other parts of the country, too!!
I definitely want to go back to Germany. I've never been to Berlin and there are other parts I'd like to see. Plus Jill and I would both like a return trip to Vienna as well. I just don't know where we will find the time, until she wins the lottery.
I recognized some of the pictures in the lounge and on the plane, looking forward to reading more!

Yes, there will definitely be some recognizable pictures as I shared a lot of the trip on Instagram, however since there is a limit of 10 pictures per post, I chose only the highlights of each day. I definitely took more than 10 pictures per day!

Yes! You were one of the folks I visited and will be again!
Great picture of the 3 of you 💙💙💙
Thanks!
I have always loved Karin's TR's, she has a kinda similar style to you
Her TRs were always fun to read.
They sure did from my glimpses! Can't wait to read more!
As I said to Magdalene, I only shared about 10 pics a day, but believe me, I took many more than that!
That's excellent in my opinion for a pre-trip early start day!
I'd say pretty good for a super exciting trip!
hehe I laughed out loud at this as you know!
::yes::
you know it's going to be a good lounge when they have a specific drink station!
Yes, I hope that I fly out of this area in October, but I'm actually on British Airways, so I think it will be in the International Terminal. They should have a lounge though....
sounds like lots of choices for different people, nice!
They addressed quite a few different regional cuisines.
:drinking1
Nice seat! Very specious and the fruit you had looked fairly fresh as well!

Great start!

Yeah, it definitely was good, however, I would tire of fresh fruit plates pretty soon! :laughing:

The boarding process for my second flight was much more orderly. At least for me. I was one of the first 20 or 30 people on the plane. I was a little taken aback by the fact that my seat was backwards. I’m not sure if you can tell from the picture, but in the end, it didn't turn out to be that big of a deal.

q24GA0425TD01.jpg

I was able to charge my phone and tablet throughout the entire flight.

q24GA0425TD02.jpg

The seat was awesome, you could put it at any angle you wanted.

q24GA0425TD03.jpg

There was this footrest that made the space a complete bed, when you put the seat to “lay flat”. I was a little confused about how to watch the entertainment screen.

q24GA0425TD04.jpg

But eventually I figured it out.

q24GA0425TD05.jpg

I was served a glass of sparkling wine before take off. It took a while before we got into the air, but eventually we were in flight to Frankfurt. I decided to watch Mean Girls. I've missed out on a lot of American pop culture over the last 25 years. Fran and I kind of lived under a rock and didn't follow a lot of trends, or watch a lot of movies and TV shows that most people consider part of pop culture. It was OK, but at least I understand a few more of the references.

Once we were in the air, we were served warm mixed nuts and choice of beverage, I chose a Chardonnay.

q24GA0425TD08.jpg

I perused the menu.

q24GA0425TD06.jpg

q24GA0425TD07.jpg

Dinner was served while I watched the movie. There wasn't a choice on the first courses. I ate the artichoke hearts with feta cheese but I just kind of shoved the other stuff off to the side. The salad had absolutely no flavor. If there was Balsamic in that dressing, I couldn't taste it.

q24GA0425TD09.jpg

The Chicken Breast was actually very good. It was a large portion and I couldn't finish it all. I didn't eat any of the broccolini or the pepper mixture, but I ate all the mashed potatoes.

q24GA0425TD10.jpg

For dessert, I chose the cheesecake and they had a dessert Sherry from Spain that she brought me.

q24GA0425TD11.jpg

She also kept my Chardonnay glass pretty full, so by the time I finished dinner I was pretty drowsy. I laid my seat flatish and snuggled up with the pillow and mini comforter that they provided. I put on Moana and fell asleep somewhere after she meets up with Maui.

I woke up after the movie ended, and I think I used the restroom before putting on The Princess and the Frog. I went right out on that one. I don't even remember anyone turning into frogs, and when I woke up Tiana and Prince Naveen were getting married.

About this time they were going to begin breakfast service so I put my seat back up and started doing all the things that I do as part of my waking up routine. Pretty soon I was served another breakfast of fruit and yogurt, but at least this time they had cinnamon rolls that were fairly decent.

q24GA0425TD12.jpg

I had started Coco when I woke up, however, they came by to take the headphones and stopped the In-flight entertainment before I actually got to finish it.

We arrived on time, no issues with customs or baggage. It appeared that we were the first International plane to arrive because the customs officers were just getting to their posts.

Figuring out how to get to the train station took a little bit of effort, but I just went up to the information booths and asked questions. People pointed me in the right direction. I had to take a shuttle from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 because the train station was attached to that terminal. Here I am in Terminal 1 and the Train Terminal. They are sort of the same but different.

Technically this is more of the train terminal, but it is still attached to the airport. If you look really far at the back of the picture here you might be able to see the Hilton, but I doubt it. Right about where that gray haired woman’s head is in front of. Sure would have been helpful to know that’s where it was for when I arrived back on my last night of the trip! :rolleyes1

q24GA0425TD13.jpg

It was also a bit confusing to figure out where on the train platform to wait. But Magdalene had me download the DB app for the train. I found the part of the app where it showed my train car and that I would be boarding from the “A” section of platform 4. I was even able to roll with the punches when they moved my train to platform 5 cause the previous train was still occupying platform 4.

q24GA0425TD14.jpg

I believe that this was the previous train which stayed there for at least 20 minutes.

q24GA0425TD15.jpg

Once I got on the train, of course someone was in my seat. Michael had warned me about this (well he kvetched about it in one of his and Magdalene’s joint TRs.) But I paid 5 euros to reserve that seat and there weren't many others available. So they moved. I had a row of two seats to myself. A nice gentleman stepped in and lifted my large 36lb suitcase overhead. There was room behind my seat for my carry-on since I had the last seat in the row. I just kept my personal item at my feet.

I turned Fran’s phone on with the SIM card that Magdalene had got for me. I was able to use that as a mobile Hotspot for wireless for my tablet and my cellphone. I was texting with Michael and Magdalene. Michael was scheduled to meet me at the train station when I arrived to get me to my hotel.

He was there right on time, and walked me over to the Hampton Inn. It was not far from the train station at all, but for my tired body, it did seem like an eternity. Soon I would come to regard the train station as our overall hub.

We got me checked in and took my bags up to the room. I put some stuff in the safe. Plugged in a few electronics that I wouldn't need immediately and headed out to lunch. We both noticed the scent of cigarettes, and figured it must be coming from the adjoining room.

q24GA0425TD16.jpg

q24GA0425TD17.jpg

We headed back to the train station, as it served as a mall, food court, and source of groceries. First we hit up a grocery store where I purchased two bottles of wine, and a box of my favorite chocolate covered biscuits. The total in US dollars for this was $12.57!

q24GA0425TD20.jpg

Then we went to a place called LeCroBac (which would serve as many things for me this trip). It is a French style pastry/sandwich shop.

q24GA0425TD18.jpg

Both Michael and I ordered the salami baguette. It had A slightly spicy Salami, cheese and butter. It was very good and I ate about ¾ of it.

q24GA0425TD19.jpg

After that he walked me back to the hotel. I was tired and wanted a nap and a shower. When I got back to my room, I found a cigarette butt on the floor. It wasn't next door, they were smoking in my room!

I picked up the butt in a piece of toilet paper and brought it downstairs. I asked if they could switch my room. As I walked down the hall, I saw another room on my floor that was almost ready. The manager offered me a complimentary beverage for my trouble, so I took a glass of white wine and drank it while sitting at the bar.

q24GA0425TD21.jpg

Now if you don't already know this about Europe, they don't get our American fascination with ice cubes. Coca-Cola is served in a glass, just the soda. If you order a glass of ice water, you won't get what you want, and it certainly won't be complimentary. They'll ask if you want sparkling or still, and you get a bottle of water and the charge will appear on the bill.

You also don't get an ice bucket in the room and an ice machine down the hall. So imagine my surprise when a fellow American (I assume since we are the only ones crazy enough to put ice in our beverages) asked the front desk staff for some ice in his refillable water bottle. This became my morning and nightly ritual.

They gave me keys to a new room, and offered to move my bags, but I was happy to do it myself. The new room was a little better, and it didn’t smell. It was that room down the hall that I noticed on my way down to the lobby.

q24GA0425TD23.jpg

q24GA0425TD24.jpg

It had a couch and seemed to be a tiny bit bigger.

q24GA0425TD22.jpg

It faced the street instead of the train tracks. It was probably a bit noisier, but I wasn't going to complain. I settled in, turned on the TV, and found out that the only English channel on the whole TV was CNN. Michael had alluded to this several years ago, but it didn't really sink in until today.

I was going to know more about the “Hush money trial” and the Supreme Court cases than I cared to by the end of this week. I turned the volume down to 3, and promptly fell asleep.

Yeah, at this point I have three TRs going on! :eek:
:faint:
I have enough trouble when I do one!
Actually I remember you and she having a discussion about something "German", perhaps of Liesa's TR a few years back......
We did? Well, there ya go! :laughing:
It was a very nice city! Right on the Danube, lots of neat places to see!
Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing the photos.
He's starting to get around. His apartment is on the second floor, and he is able to get down the stairs (with a lot of difficulty), but he is managing to get out of the house for doctor's visits and such. Still not sure when he will be back to regular activity, possibly six months from surgery.
The fact that he's navigating stairs... :worship:
I know! I tried to pace myself, I had an entire day of complimentary wine in front of me! :laughing:
:laughing:
Well they were trying to do the preboarding, and all the ancy people in Group #1 were clogging up the gate area so that none of the wheelchairs and such could get through.
:sad2:
I'm sure it's available, just how much you want to pay to see it! 😂
Good point! :laughing:

The boarding process for my second flight was much more orderly. At least for me.
That's all that matters, right? ;)
I was a little taken aback by the fact that my seat was backwards.
That's.... weird!!
But... they do that on trains, so... why not? I mean... you won't get there any differently no matter which way you face.
Was the wall between your seat and your neighbor's high enough so you weren't staring right at them? Your heads seem very close.
Niiiice.
I was a little confused about how to watch the entertainment screen.
I thought you meant while you were laying flat, but... apparently not. BUT! Were you able to watch it lying flat? Did it rotate?
I decided to watch Mean Girls.
Never have seen it.
It was OK, but at least I understand a few more of the references.
I should do the same as you so I can get the references.
I perused the menu.
I'll take the short ribs I think.
The salad had absolutely no flavor. If there was Balsamic in that dressing, I couldn't taste it.
Unfortunate. I hate when that happens.
The Chicken Breast was actually very good.
That was my second choice.
For dessert, I chose the cheesecake
I missed that. I guess since there was no description. I was gonna throw caution to the wind and go for the sundae.
She also kept my Chardonnay glass pretty full, so by the time I finished dinner I was pretty drowsy.
"drowsy"

:rolleyes1
I put on Moana and fell asleep somewhere after she meets up with Maui.
Pretty early on, I think. Been a while.
putting on The Princess and the Frog. I went right out on that one.
Frogs put you to sleep. Check.
Or is it any amphibian? Would a salamander do?
I don't even remember anyone turning into frogs, and when I woke up Tiana and Prince Naveen were getting married.
That's basically the story... minus all the excess fluff in the middle.
I had started Coco when I woke up, however, they came by to take the headphones and stopped the In-flight entertainment before I actually got to finish it.
They wanted you awake. They saw what Disney movies do to you.
Figuring out how to get to the train station took a little bit of effort, but I just went up to the information booths and asked questions.
Did the same.
If you look really far at the back of the picture here you might be able to see the Hilton, but I doubt it
Nope! :laughing:
Sure would have been helpful to know that’s where it was for when I arrived back on my last night of the trip! :rolleyes1
popcorn::
Once I got on the train, of course someone was in my seat. Michael had warned me about this (well he kvetched about it in one of his and Magdalene’s joint TRs.)
Funny thing... I just clicked on a link of people's pet peeves and that was one of them.
A nice gentleman stepped in and lifted my large 36lb suitcase overhead.
Very nice of him. :)
Michael was scheduled to meet me at the train station when I arrived to get me to my hotel.

He was there right on time, and walked me over to the Hampton Inn.
Nice of him too. :)
We both noticed the scent of cigarettes, and figured it must be coming from the adjoining room.
Yuck. :sick:
First we hit up a grocery store where I purchased two bottles of wine
#priorities
and a box of my favorite chocolate covered biscuits
#alsoprioritiesbutnotasmuch
Then we went to a place called LeCroBac (which would serve as many things for me this trip). It is a French style pastry/sandwich shop.
Of course. When in Germany... eat French food. :laughing:
(It looks good and I'd do the same.)
Whoa! How long was that?!?!?
When I got back to my room, I found a cigarette butt on the floor. It wasn't next door, they were smoking in my room!
Ew. Really?
Gross. Gross habit.
Now if you don't already know this about Europe, they don't get our American fascination with ice cubes.
So imagine my surprise when a fellow American (I assume since we are the only ones crazy enough to put ice in our beverages) asked the front desk staff for some ice in his refillable water bottle. This became my morning and nightly ritual.
Really! I'm surprised they could accommodate.
The new room was a little better, and it didn’t smell.
That's good, but...
I see there's no tub. I do not approve of this trend of hotels moving away from tubs.
I turned the volume down to 3, and promptly fell asleep.
So CNN is as effective as Disney.

Welcome to the comments of the tour guides of the Austrian part of this trip!

I have not been posting TRs in quite some time on here due to - first work and now that we are both retired constant travel. But I cannot wait to get into the swing of things again (and maybe post my own TRs again) by commenting on Alison's TR. :rotfl2:
We were happy to see Alison come back to the DIS (yes, we do still read) and mention that she was going to travel and would you believe it, she actually chose Europe for one of her travels.
I offered to help with booking her flights suggesting that it might be easier to get flights into Frankfurt, but going back home from Vienna, but that was obviously not an option. ;)

I had decided to do was “pay back” all the folks who came to visit me at Disneyland.

I just wish it would not have been such a tight budget trip. We could have explored so many more places that were just not an option on your budget.

The only things I navigated on my own were the flights and the trains.

With a little help from yours truly when your flights to Linz fell through courtesy of Boeing because of the safety issues with their planes.

She used to write a lot of Trip Reports on the DIS. Karin still shares their numerous journeys, but with a smaller group of folks mostly made of people she met on the DIS.

I might be tempted to share some of our adventures on the DIS again as last year we spent 5 weeks in California, took 9 Disney cruises, 4 visits to Disneyland Paris and spent 6 weeks at WDW.
This year we have already been to Disneyland Paris twice, have been on a rivercruise on the Danube and are currently in Athens where we'll board Virgin Voyages Resilient Lady for a b2b cruise.
A few things are still in the works but in the fall we'll spend another 8 weeks at WDW with 3 DCL cruises squeezed in. ;)

Magdalene was able to arrange my train tickets which was a tremendous help!

I am glad she was able to book the train back to Frankfurt from Linz that I had researched and offered to book for you, but Magdalene was in need of the points she would get.

Everything else was left up to my tour guides.

:rolleyes1

So I poured myself a glass of Grüner Veltliner and sat at a table with a view of my plane.

q24GA0424TD02.jpg

Perfect choice - Niederösterreicher!

The boarding process for my second flight was much more orderly. At least for me. I was one of the first 20 or 30 people on the plane.

That's how it should work when you travel Business Class. That's why they have boarding groups.

That's how it should be when you travel Business Class.

I was a little confused about how to watch the entertainment screen.

They can be moved.

For the non Europeans - it is a chain that has pre-made sandwiches.

Now if you don't already know this about Europe, they don't get our American fascination with ice cubes. Coca-Cola is served in a glass, just the soda. If you order a glass of ice water, you won't get what you want, and it certainly won't be complimentary. They'll ask if you want sparkling or still, and you get a bottle of water and the charge will appear on the bill.

Welcome to Europe!!

I'm finally here! I am sad that I missed the European tour this time as I know how good the Austrian tour guides are but sadly I'm not retired or independently wealthy yet so I still have to work to pay for the other adventures and to keep the dogs in the lifestyle they expect.

AA Biz doesn't look nearly as good as Turkish Airlines Biz but it's definitely better than being in cattle class in the back! I'm so proud of you navigating the train and all the changes after an international red eye!

Glad you got the room sorted as I also hate the smell of cigarette smoke...especially in my room!

Jill in CO

Welcome to the comments of the tour guides of the Austrian part of this trip!
:wave:
I might be tempted to share some of our adventures on the DIS again as last year we spent 5 weeks in California, took 9 Disney cruises, 4 visits to Disneyland Paris and spent 6 weeks at WDW.
This year we have already been to Disneyland Paris twice, have been on a rivercruise on the Danube and are currently in Athens where we'll board Virgin Voyages Resilient Lady for a b2b cruise.
Wowza! That's quite the travel resume!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter