It's official Disney cutting Galveston short

I think it's more options due to more people wanting to do parks and cruise vacations.

Fly to orlando, go to the parks, cruise, come back... two weeks vacation...

I get this scenario.......but do not understand why they aren't leaving one ship on the West Coast for the same reason -- Disneyland!

Hi there,

How innovative of DCL to put all the ships out of Florida, they have finally realised that the parks are a big reason, I just find had it's taken this long to work this out. I think this is a shame as we have lots of adverts on TV here in UK for lots of cruise lines, however not even an advert about DCL. It may well be that this the future for DCL and maybe a few adventures elsewhere during the summer months. I DID MAKE SEVERAL COMMENTS ON THE DISNEY BLOG, HOWEVER THEY ONLY PUBLISH "POSITIVE COMMENTS"

Come on DCL you can do better than this.

I did smile when I see people, a few posts back, in the states moaning about airfares, you should try spending a $4000 per trip just to get to Fl, that is why you see so many Europeans in the lower stateroom classes.

I also have begun taking two week vacations due to the high cost of airfare. We can kill two birds with one stone!

Hi there,

How innovative of DCL to put all the ships out of Florida, they have finally realised that the parks are a big reason, I just find had it's taken this long to work this out. I think this is a shame as we have lots of adverts on TV here in UK for lots of cruise lines, however not even an advert about DCL. It may well be that this the future for DCL and maybe a few adventures elsewhere during the summer months. I DID MAKE SEVERAL COMMENTS ON THE DISNEY BLOG, HOWEVER THEY ONLY PUBLISH "POSITIVE COMMENTS"

Come on DCL you can do better than this.

I did smile when I see people, a few posts back, in the states moaning about airfares, you should try spending a $4000 per trip just to get to Fl, that is why you see so many Europeans in the lower stateroom classes.

Even though many on these boards combine the parks and cruises, I highly doubt it is the norm. Look how many people fly in the day of the cruise and flyout the day they get off. When we are on board and talk to people we rarely hear of someon going to the parks before or after. While many might like to many can't afford to both at once, it ends up a lot of money.

Many would also see the two as two seperate vacations.

Florida in general hold the market for cruises, all lines. People want to go to the carribbean and bahamas. They want tropical. The other cruise lines have had a hard time on the west coast too and have pulled out due to people not wanting to go to the mexican riveria.

IN general DIsney has not had a problem selling 3, 4 and 7 night out of PC so they are going where they know they can sell for now. They have had a rough time with Galvestong and LA and need to make up for it.

Personally, I think Disney is pulling all 4 ships to Florida, putting 3 out of PC, 2 of which will be running 3- & 4- night sailings as an attempt to boost trips to WDW. Without going into all the detail of it, that's my opinion which I'm entitled to. Flame away, I don't really care.

Disney offered the KSF out of Galveston and I booked. So did a lot of people. The sailing I'll be on next month is pretty full, actually. Same class of ship sailing out of Miami? Can't say the same. They're discounting those Miami sailings like crazy with multiple promo rates, deeeeeep discounts, and they STILL aren't selling them that much better. For that reason alone, I'm calling BS on the notion that Florida sells better. I think Disney wants to get more people to pair their cruises with their parks.

The problem is not everyone cares about going to WDW in all it's staleness now. That's WHY I'm cruising. The WDW parks don't do it for us. Personally, if/when we cruise out of Florida next year we'll be far more likely to hit up WDW's competition for hotels, parks, dining, etc.

My husband works as a contractor and we maintain our primary residence in Florida. I suppose in 2014 we'll have plenty of fabulous Florida resident discounts to look forward to. I just wish all the Texas folks could do the same.

Personally, I think Disney is pulling all 4 ships to Florida, putting 3 out of PC, 2 of which will be running 3- & 4- night sailings as an attempt to boost trips to WDW. Without going into all the detail of it, that's my opinion which I'm entitled to. Flame away, I don't really care.

Disney offered the KSF out of Galveston and I booked. So did a lot of people. The sailing I'll be on next month is pretty full, actually. Same class of ship sailing out of Miami? Can't say the same. They're discounting those Miami sailings like crazy with multiple promo rates, deeeeeep discounts, and they STILL aren't selling them that much better. For that reason alone, I'm calling BS on the notion that Florida sells better. I think Disney wants to get more people to pair their cruises with their parks.

The problem is not everyone cares about going to WDW in all it's staleness now. That's WHY I'm cruising. The WDW parks don't do it for us. Personally, if/when we cruise out of Florida next year we'll be far more likely to hit up WDW's competition for hotels, parks, dining, etc.

My husband works as a contractor and we maintain our primary residence in Florida. I suppose in 2014 we'll have plenty of fabulous Florida resident discounts to look forward to. I just wish all the Texas folks could do the same.

Disney doesnt need to boost attendance to thier parks. They have been insanely busy this year. This fall was so busy and there really wasn't a slow time at all. Both the halloween and christmas parties had many dates sell out ahead of time (not super normal) and food and wine brings bigger and bigger crowds every years.

WDW is not stale to the majority that go seeing that so many are first time visitors.

Interesting opinion. But, they are moving the Magic to PC not Miami, so does it really matter what specials (KSF, Florida Res, Military) they are offering from Miami because it isn't going there.

I really think the move is more about $$ than anything else. In business it costs alot to setup logistics to support an operation out of another area. The costs alone to forward stage supplies in Galveston, NYC, and even LA somewhat costs a huge amount of money. DCL already has it setup for PC so it cost very little to reposition a ship back to PC and support it from there.. so even if they only get the same amount of passengers in PC that they did in Galveston, they actually make more $$ from the logistics savings. It is just smart business

Interesting opinion. But, they are moving the Magic to PC not Miami, so does it really matter what specials (KSF, Florida Res, Military) they are offering from Miami because it isn't going there.

I really think the move is more about $$ than anything else. In business it costs alot to setup logistics to support an operation out of another area. The costs alone to forward stage supplies in Galveston, NYC, and even LA somewhat costs a huge amount of money. DCL already has it setup for PC so it cost very little to reposition a ship back to PC and support it from there.. so even if they only get the same amount of passengers in PC that they did in Galveston, they actually make more $$ from the logistics savings. It is just smart business

Actually, they really didn't have to forward stage supplies in NYC as I understand it. From what I know, they actually still used PC on the NYC to PC runs. Instead of reprovisioning at the beginning of each trip from NYC, they actually did it down in PC.

Actually, they really didn't have to forward stage supplies in NYC as I understand it. From what I know, they actually still used PC on the NYC to PC runs. Instead of reprovisioning at the beginning of each trip from NYC, they actually did it down in PC.
See I learned something..

How about the cruises to nowhere and the coastal cruises that didn't go to PC? I would think they would have to position supplies in NYC wouldn't they??

It's not the Magic that's supposed to be sailing out of Galveston in the fall of 2013 either so, I agree, that the Magic doesn't factor in this equation. The Wonder is the ship that is/was slated to sail Galveston (not sure when/if that will change) and it is the ship that is being moved to Miami.

Look at the parks blog announcing the 2014 itinerary partial release. 2 pictures. 1 of a ship at CC + 1 of the new Fantasyland rendering. The announcement was about all the wonderful places you can visit like Castaway Cay...and WDW's new Fantasyland expansion. Pushing parks with a cruise line announcement. Sure feels like they're pushing parks with cruises to me.

Not arguing that it isn't smart business. There's so much we aren't privvy to. Like, for instance, maybe the cost to port out of Miami is substantially less than porting out of Galveston so if there's going to be a potential loss either way then it comes down to where the loss would be greater.

Another person mentioned that the attendance is strong this fall at WDW. I agree, there's no slow times like there was in years gone by. This time of year in particular. That's part of the reason I don't care for the parks so much anymore. I'm kinda tired of "working" to stay ahead of the herds. I'd rather go relax. But, let's put that "strong attendance" into perspective. They haven't & won't draw the same explosion with Fantasyland's expansion that Carsland did in California or WWoHP when it opened a few years back. Compare occupancy and turnstile growth percentages to WDW's competition and you'll see a big difference in numbers. The competition has big new things set for the next few years. Can't say the same for WDW. Could this be an attempt to bolster a little? I'm not so infatuated with all things Disney that I can't look at the bigger picture and wonder how the theme park "games" factor into what Disney decides to do with their cruise line.

I'm not a Disney hater so don't go toastin' my hiney over all this. I'm just trying to take off the pixie-dusted glasses and think objectively. The parks blog announcement for the partial 2014 itineraries really puzzled me more than anything.

To further this angle of thought, if all of 2014 had been released with more interesting ports and destinations to choose from where do you think people would've booked??? Prob'ly not the spring-time 4 ships in Florida. That's just a loooooot of staterooms to flood Florida with. It'll be interesting to see how well this tactic works.

It's not the Magic that's supposed to be sailing out of Galveston in the fall of 2013 either so, I agree, that the Magic doesn't factor in this equation. The Wonder is the ship that is/was slated to sail Galveston (not sure when/if that will change) and it is the ship that is being moved to Miami.

Look at the parks blog announcing the 2014 itinerary partial release. 2 pictures. 1 of a ship at CC + 1 of the new Fantasyland rendering. The announcement was about all the wonderful places you can visit like Castaway Cay...and WDW's new Fantasyland expansion. Pushing parks with a cruise line announcement. Sure feels like they're pushing parks with cruises to me.

Not arguing that it isn't smart business. There's so much we aren't privvy to. Like, for instance, maybe the cost to port out of Miami is substantially less than porting out of Galveston so if there's going to be a potential loss either way then it comes down to where the loss would be greater.

Another person mentioned that the attendance is strong this fall at WDW. I agree, there's no slow times like there was in years gone by. This time of year in particular. That's part of the reason I don't care for the parks so much anymore. I'm kinda tired of "working" to stay ahead of the herds. I'd rather go relax. But, let's put that "strong attendance" into perspective. They haven't & won't draw the same explosion with Fantasyland's expansion that Carsland did in California or WWoHP when it opened a few years back. Compare occupancy and turnstile growth percentages to WDW's competition and you'll see a big difference in numbers. The competition has big new things set for the next few years. Can't say the same for WDW. Could this be an attempt to bolster a little? I'm not so infatuated with all things Disney that I can't look at the bigger picture and wonder how the theme park "games" factor into what Disney decides to do with their cruise line.

I'm not a Disney hater so don't go toastin' my hiney over all this. I'm just trying to take off the pixie-dusted glasses and think objectively. The parks blog announcement for the partial 2014 itineraries really puzzled me more than anything.

To further this angle of thought, if all of 2014 had been released with more interesting ports and destinations to choose from where do you think people would've booked??? Prob'ly not the spring-time 4 ships in Florida. That's just a loooooot of staterooms to flood Florida with. It'll be interesting to see how well this tactic works.

New Fantasyland won't draw the crowds mainly because there is no major E-ticket ride. That is what drives the teens, 20- somethings and those without kids. The addition to fantasyland is def much needed but not something everyone will care for or see a reason to make a specific trip for.

New Fantasyland won't draw the crowds mainly because there is no major E-ticket ride. That is what drives the teens, 20- somethings and those without kids. The addition to fantasyland is def much needed but not something everyone will care for or see a reason to make a specific trip for.

I certainly had no plans to make a special trip just to see an attraction (that's a duplicate of one in California), an interactive storytelling experience, and a restaurant. Buuuuut, sailing out of Galveston next month on an 8-night Bahamian gives us a single day at the parks to go see it. Bingo. One and done. :thumbsup2

I think if Disney would offer something a little different out of Florida for itineraries...maybe Key West + San Juan + CC or something like that would be refreshing. San Juan has some very interesting excursion options. I know everyone talks about the Southern Caribbean ports, I wonder if a few "test" trips down on a 10 day itinerary would be worth trying. ;)

I certainly had no plans to make a special trip just to see an attraction (that's a duplicate of one in California), an interactive storytelling experience, and a restaurant. Buuuuut, sailing out of Galveston next month on an 8-night Bahamian gives us a single day at the parks to go see it. Bingo. One and done. :thumbsup2

I think if Disney would offer something a little different out of Florida for itineraries...maybe Key West + San Juan + CC or something like that would be refreshing. San Juan has some very interesting excursion options. I know everyone talks about the Southern Caribbean ports, I wonder if a few "test" trips down on a 10 day itinerary would be worth trying. ;)

They have done 10 day southern carribbean in the past....been quite a few years now. But I think from Miami they can do 7 night ones that get down there.

10 day ones would be hard to sell in the off season, but may sell in the summer and at christmas. but even then its hard for people to take that much time off of work.

No one has mentioned Alaska. Are those cruises considered a success, and will DCL be there again in the summer of 2014?

jlwhitney said:
They have done 10 day southern carribbean in the past....been quite a few years now. But I think from Miami they can do 7 night ones that get down there.

10 day ones would be hard to sell in the off season, but may sell in the summer and at christmas. but even then its hard for people to take that much time off of work.

the last couple of times they have tried doing a 10 day Southern Caribbean itinerary for some reason Disney canceled it and made them to 2-5s or changed it to something else. Popular theory was that the 10 day cruises for not selling like Disney wanted.

the last couple of times they have tried doing a 10 day Southern Caribbean itinerary for some reason Disney canceled it and made them to 2-5s or changed it to something else. Popular theory was that the 10 day cruises for not selling like Disney wanted.

They have done them, but its been a long time. yes they have cancelled them to

Why not? With the cost of airfare, we usually don't go for less than two weeks.

We did 17 days back in 2008! We flew to LA and did DL and went on the EBPC for 15 nights. Had the most awesome time ever :). Trip of a lifetime :).

I am going to just chime in here and say that since cruising seems to be a lifestyle rather than just a vacation, meaning that once one gets a taste for it, they usually become regulars. Ergo, the regular attendance of those provide steady money for the cruise line AND for that particular port. I think that if Disney had stayed in Galveston just a bit longer, and built up some regular clientele, they would have reaped the benefits, as well as the people that never thought they would cruise. This was giving people with money to spend in a new vacation style, an option. By taking it away, kind of just lost out on a good thing. Just saying.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts