It's National Left-handers Day

My paternal grandfather was a lefty. In fact, his nickname for the majority of his life was Lefty. He much preferred that to Francis. ;)

Me too! My mom said when I was little, she kept putting a crayon in my right hand, and I would promptly pass it to my left. Only left hander in my family.

My mother was a lefty. Back in the late 1930's the nuns in Catholic school forced to her write with her right hand.
Heck, they were still trying to do that in the 70s.

I went to a Catholic daycare center for a time---they did the same thing. They would call my mom yelling at her because I kept putting the crayon in the left hand. She'd yell back "she's left handed leave her alone".

This was like '91/'92 maybe? Don't exactly know, either way it was IMO well after the time where that should have been around geez lol

I kinda feel like I'm a weird left handed person. I bowl with my right hand, I scissor with my right hand, I use a computer mouse with my right hand and my purse goes on my right shoulder being the 'stronger' arm. But I do mini golf using both just depends on the particular hole, I stir foods with holding the spoon in my left hand. I also eat with my left hand as in my spoon and fork goes in the left hand but knife goes in the right hand--that's always interesting because I do try to put myself in a spot at tables so I'm not bumping elbows with a righty (anyone else do that?).

It just doesn't feel 'right' at all to use my right hand to write. It's like my brain immediately recognizes that something feels off.

I kinda feel like I'm a weird left handed person. I bowl with my right hand, I scissor with my right hand, I use a computer mouse with my right hand and my purse goes on my right shoulder being the 'stronger' arm. But I do mini golf using both just depends on the particular hole, I stir foods with holding the spoon in my left hand. I also eat with my left hand as in my spoon and fork goes in the left hand but knife goes in the right hand--that's always interesting because I do try to put myself in a spot at tables so I'm not bumping elbows with a righty (anyone else do that?).

It just doesn't feel 'right' at all to use my right hand to write. It's like my brain immediately recognizes that something feels off.
Many lefties are ambidextrous to a degree. At one time I could write with either my left or right hand and I still use either my left or right hand to cut with scissors or knives. The writing was an answer to the right handed desks that were available when I entered high school. Otherwise I wrote almost upside down at those stupid desks with my left hand.

I dislike left handed scissors they just don't "register" when I use them. I can crotchet and thimble tat but my stitches come out backwards when I knit so I don't bother with trying anymore. My knitting teacher said she couldn't figure out what I was doing "wrong". Of course she was right handed so well there was that.

I cut with scissors and use a knife right handed. My DD throws a ball and does a bunch of various things right handed. The other night she was struggling to get chicken out of the pan, she had her plate in her left hand and the spoon from the chicken in her right, so I told her to switch hands and she had no problem at all. I think she held the plate lefty because it felt more secure.

Yep, always grab the end seat so I’m not banging elbows. When I was a kid we weren’t allowed to claim common space as ours but I got an exception for the dinner table. Made me feel special, lol. It’s nice that DD is a lefty because now I have someone I can sit next to if I don’t manage to snag the end seat.
Many lefties are ambidextrous to a degree. At one time I could write with either my left or right hand and I still use either my left or right hand to cut with scissors or knives. The writing was an answer to the right handed desks that were available when I entered high school. Otherwise I wrote almost upside down at those stupid desks with my left hand.

I dislike left handed scissors they just don't "register" when I use them. I can crotchet and thimble tat but my stitches come out backwards when I knit so I don't bother with trying anymore. My knitting teacher said she couldn't figure out what I was doing "wrong". Of course she was right handed so well there was that.
Those stupid desks! My arm and hand were always cramped and I always had ink on the edge of my hand.

My great grandma taught me how to crochet by having me face her. My piece is always “backwards” though.

I do a lot of things with my right hand as well! When I played soft ball, I always batted right handed. I also use right handed scissors. I bowl right handed, among other things.

When I broke my left arm 3 times I high school, it didn’t take me long to become proficient writing with my right hand.

It must just be how our brains are wired that makes us naturally more ambidextrous than righties.

This is me. I do a lot of things like you with my right hand.

I do a lot of things with my right hand as well! When I played soft ball, I always batted right handed. I also use right handed scissors. I bowl right handed, among other things.

When I broke my left arm 3 times I high school, it didn’t take me long to become proficient writing with my right hand.

It must just be how our brains are wired that makes us naturally more ambidextrous than righties.
I cut with scissors and use a knife right handed. My DD throws a ball and does a bunch of various things right handed. The other night she was struggling to get chicken out of the pan, she had her plate in her left hand and the spoon from the chicken in her right, so I told her to switch hands and she had no problem at all. I think she held the plate lefty because it felt more secure.

Yep, always grab the end seat so I’m not banging elbows. When I was a kid we weren’t allowed to claim common space as ours but I got an exception for the dinner table. Made me feel special, lol. It’s nice that DD is a lefty because now I have someone I can sit next to if I don’t manage to snag the end seat.

Those stupid desks! My arm and hand were always cramped and I always had ink on the edge of my hand.

My great grandma taught me how to crochet by having me face her. My piece is always “backwards” though.
This is me. I do a lot of things like you with my right hand.
I am so glad I'm not alone in these things! :jumping1:

Count me in! Oldest Dd too. She is almost exclusively left handed. I am more of a mix.

I always feel weird and almost like I’m lying when I say I’m left handed. I write and do almost all sports left handed. Oddly though I apply make with my right even something like eyeliner pencil. It is sloppy and awkward with my left. I also eat right handed and use scissors right handed. When I try something new new or haven’t done for a while I have to figure out which hand feels correct. Like right now I couldn’t say which hand I use for sewing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter