It's like an African safari for your taste buds! Aug 2013 update 1/3 Tokyo Dining

Tokyo Dining

For lunch on our last day, we headed into Epcot to visit Tokyo Dining. We had one of the first reservations for right when it opened, and were seated right away. We met up with friends for this meal, so there were five of us. We were given a table right near the window with a great view of Japan:

For my appetizer I had the tempura (shrimp, chicken, and vegetables):

This was very good. I'm a big fan of tempura, and this was some of the best that I've had. The dipping sauce that came with it was really nice too. I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

I was the only one that got an appetizer because I was getting a smaller meal. A lot of the others had combination meals so they got a lot of food. We love sushi so I had to try some. I ordered the Spicy Crunch Roll (spicy salmon and tuna mix, tempura crunch, green onion and sesame seed):

It was definitely good sushi. It had a good amount of spice and I liked the tempura crunch. It's not the best sushi I've had ever, but it's definitely up there. 8.5 out of 10.

DH ordered two sushi rolls. The first was the volcano roll (California Roll with spicy chili mayonnaise sauce, topped with sashimi tuna, salmon, yellowtail, masago and Tempura Crunch):

He gives it a 7.5 out of 10. But he said to be fair, it was missing the tempura crunch because he couldn't have it due to his potential shellfish allergy. It was good, but he's had better volcano rolls (one of his favorites).

His second roll was the Philadelphia Roll (salmon, Cream Cheese, green onion and sesame seed):

He gave it a 6.5 out of 10. It was your standard Philadelphia roll and he said there was too much cream cheese. To be fair, we don't usually order sushi with cream cheese, but he was a bit limited with his allergy so it was a bit difficult.

Next up is some photos of what our friends got. No ratings or comments, but at least you can look at pics! ;)

Chicken Katsu - Boneless Breast Lightly Fried

Not 100% sure what this one was...

The grilled chicken with teriyaki sauce on the side:

For dessert they brought us out a special anniversary cake! We weren't planning on ordering dessert, but they brought us a free slice of chocolate ginger cake:

This was fantastic! I will definitely be ordering it anytime we are at Tokyo dining. I give it a 10 out of 10. DH also really enjoyed it and gave it a 9 out of 10. The ginger taste was there but it wasn't overpowering, and neither was the chocolate. Everything was balanced really well.

Overall I would give Tokyo Dining a 9 out of 10. I really, really enjoyed it. It ranked slightly lower for DH, but that was mostly due to his disappointment of not being able to eat shellfish. We definitely want to go back now that his allergy has been cleared and he can enjoy what he likes there!

Philadelphia Roll - $9.95
Spicy Crunch Roll - $9.50
Volcano Roll - $15.95
Diet Coke - $2.95
Tempura App - $8.95
Cake - free!

Total paid including tax and 18% gratuity, after TiW discount: $48.81

Amount saved with TiW here: $9.46
Total saved with TiW so far this trip: $47.06

Wow - the view from your table at Tokyo Dining was spectacular!

Both your tempura and sushi roll look great. What yummy choices!

That is a LOT of mayo on the volcano roll! Was it as much as it looks in the pic?

The combo plates actually look pretty darn good. It’s neat to know that this place has so much variety. Might have to consider trying it….. Epcot - you make it so hard to decide on a restaurant! :laughing:

I am glad to see your review of Tokyo Dining. I love sushi, and I have a shellfish allergy, so this review helps me a lot!

I like seeing the options you ordered, and it all looks good. Now I know that I can safely eat there if someone in my party wants to go!!

Wow TD and the sushi look awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Wow - the view from your table at Tokyo Dining was spectacular!

Both your tempura and sushi roll look great. What yummy choices!

That is a LOT of mayo on the volcano roll! Was it as much as it looks in the pic?

The combo plates actually look pretty darn good. It’s neat to know that this place has so much variety. Might have to consider trying it….. Epcot - you make it so hard to decide on a restaurant! :laughing:

I don't think it was quite as much mayo as it looks like - but it was also very yummy! I know, Epcot makes it very difficult to decide where to eat!

I am glad to see your review of Tokyo Dining. I love sushi, and I have a shellfish allergy, so this review helps me a lot!

I like seeing the options you ordered, and it all looks good. Now I know that I can safely eat there if someone in my party wants to go!!

Glad to help! They were really great at Tokyo Dining with the allergy. The chef came out and told DH exactly what he could and couldn't have, and how they could adjust some of the dishes for him.

Wow TD and the sushi look awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

It was delicious!

TiW Summary

On this trip, we saved $47.05 with TiW. That's because there were a lot of meals we had that we couldn't use TiW on - quick service, Wild Africa Trek, and obviously all of the wedding food we weren't paying for. I think we only actually used it twice, so definitely not bad! And for the year, we have now saved $222.44. Since we paid $100 for the card, it helped us to save over $120! And still one more trip where I can use it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter