Hanging up my running shoes

I totally don't blame you on the skipping the 14 degree run ... that's way cold.
I've done :60/:30 intervals on the treadmill (once), and while it's not the easiest thing in the world, it's not as bad as you think it will be. So if you're ever in a situation where you feel like you can't skip the run, it is doable, but I understand not wanting to attempt it.

Interesting to see how your paces are set up!
In terms of the Easy Continuous pace ... it's going to be an adjustment, but when you start running continuously, you'll realize pretty quickly that you have to run slower than your run/walk run pace, so your body will adjust. Don't be surprised if the EC pace is easier than you think it will be.

Good luck with the EC and 10K pace runs!

Enjoying your updates. The slower paces are tough! I also loooove my intervals, but have been adding more continuous running lately. Not sure if I ever see myself going totally continuous - I feel like the intervals offer a little safety net or something. I’ll be interested to see how the continuous integrates into your training plan.

I totally don't blame you on the skipping the 14 degree run ... that's way cold.
I've done :60/:30 intervals on the treadmill (once), and while it's not the easiest thing in the world, it's not as bad as you think it will be. So if you're ever in a situation where you feel like you can't skip the run, it is doable, but I understand not wanting to attempt it.

Interesting to see how your paces are set up!
In terms of the Easy Continuous pace ... it's going to be an adjustment, but when you start running continuously, you'll realize pretty quickly that you have to run slower than your run/walk run pace, so your body will adjust. Don't be surprised if the EC pace is easier than you think it will be.

Good luck with the EC and 10K pace runs!

Spoiler alert. Did our first EC this morning. We were too fast. :oops: Sorry, Coach. We'll keep working at it and get better. I felt like we were going slow and we had times we were where we needed to be but if we weren't really conscious about it, we sped up.

Enjoying your updates. The slower paces are tough! I also loooove my intervals, but have been adding more continuous running lately. Not sure if I ever see myself going totally continuous - I feel like the intervals offer a little safety net or something. I’ll be interested to see how the continuous integrates into your training plan.

Today felt good (although it was crazy cold again, but Chris made me suck it up and go). The 2 miles at continuous felt good although mentally I kept thinking, "Shouldn't you be walking now?" but physically it was no problem.

Spoiler alert. Did our first EC this morning. We were too fast. :oops: Sorry, Coach. We'll keep working at it and get better. I felt like we were going slow and we had times we were where we needed to be but if we weren't really conscious about it, we sped up.

Looks like 11:20 and 11:40. That's not too far off from LR or EB (continuous paces) so I wouldn't worry too much. If you can go that pace, then by all means continue to run 11:20-11:40 for the EC pace. I was just erring on the side of easier at 12:28. But no faster than 11:16. But it felt ridiculously easy today, right?

Looks like 11:20 and 11:40. That's not too far off from LR or EB (continuous paces) so I wouldn't worry too much. If you can go that pace, then by all means continue to run 11:20-11:40 for the EC pace. I was just erring on the side of easier at 12:28. But no faster than 11:16. But it felt ridiculously easy today, right?

OK, phew! And, yes, super easy. I liked it!

WISH ME LUCK WITH BONUS PUPPIES!!
giphy.gif

So, tonight is my first run with some speed pacing in there. I didn't run this morning since Chris is traveling and I'm not real comfortable on our normal running route by myself in the dark, so tonight on the treadmill it is. Unfortunately, I forgot I had dinner plans with some friends at a local Mexican restaurant that serves great sangria. So, Mexican food, sangria and late speed run on the treadmill. Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with that?

Bonus feature, my dogs recently got haircuts and they are so cute and all threads need more puppy pictures. Teddy and Rosie say hello.

https://flic.kr/p/G3iGpu
https://flic.kr/p/G3iGpu

Oh and also for those who like to follow these training journals for running gear/clothing shopping enabling, I present the newest InB offering...

Lion-Denim-Shorts-Front-B__72312.1515022981.1280.1280.jpg

Yeah, I know it's a huge picture and I was too lazy to resize it. 4" compression shorts. I have 3 of the 6" shorts, but like the idea of trying out this shorter length, so I ordered a pair of them today. :D Plus, they have 2, count 'em 2, pockets. And PURPLE!! Paging @Anisum

Good luck ... I think tonight's run is going to go great.
Just maybe ... not too much sangria. But definitely enjoy some :)

I was restrained and only had one glass of sangria. I was so tempted to go for a second, but I was a good girl!

HI PUPS!

Enjoy that sangria and good luck on your run!

It was a great sangria. Honey crisp apple in a light red wine. Delicious! And the chicken and spinach enchiladas weren't bad either. :D

Worst?

View attachment 301111

Have a great evening all around.

Thankfully, I avoided that!

SUCCESS on my run. UGH, though, I'd forgotten how much I hate to run on a treadmill. I did work up a good sweat though, so that's not a bad thing. Anyway, it went well. Definitely pushing myself to hit that speedier interval. 9 m/m pace for 3:00 and :30 walk, but only for 1 mile. Legs were great, but definitely felt it some in my cardio. I was happy to hit the cool down at the end. :) Why is it that it seems like you are running so much faster on a treadmill than when you are outside? Or at least it seems that way to me.

Knew you could do it. Sounds like a perfect workout that was right on the line between accomplishable and impossible.

Why is it that it seems like you are running so much faster on a treadmill than when you are outside? Or at least it seems that way to me.

Perception of effort can be thrown off for sure. Myriad of factors as to why. It's totally the same for me as well back when I use to do an occasional treadmill run.

Knew you could do it. Sounds like a perfect workout that was right on the line between accomplishable and impossible.

Good definition! But, I'm already eyeing some of those future 10k pace runs where I have to do it longer than 1 mile. EEK!

Perception of effort can be thrown off for sure. Myriad of factors as to why. It's totally the same for me as well back when I use to do an occasional treadmill run.

The good thing was it obviously kept me right on pace, so no chance of fading toward the end had I been outside.

The good thing was it obviously kept me right on pace, so no chance of fading toward the end had I been outside.

That's why I don't like the treadmill. :thumbsup2 :scratchin

Good definition! But, I'm already eyeing some of those future 10k pace runs where I have to do it longer than 1 mile. EEK!

Well if I wrote it right, then you should not be prepared to do more 10k pace now, but by then you will be able to.

The treadmill is definitely one of those things that just feels terrible when you come back to it after being away for a while (I've found that if I'm using the treadmill more regularly, it's not as bad, but that first treadmill run after exclusively running outside for a long time ... that's brutal).
In terms of the treadmill feeling faster ... I think it's because you're not going anywhere. Outside, the scenery changes a little so you don't notice how fast you're going. On the treadmill, the world around you is staying the same, so all you can focus on is the speed. (That might not make any sense, but it's how I think of it)

Also ... congrats on the successful run!

The treadmill is definitely one of those things that just feels terrible when you come back to it after being away for a while (I've found that if I'm using the treadmill more regularly, it's not as bad, but that first treadmill run after exclusively running outside for a long time ... that's brutal).
In terms of the treadmill feeling faster ... I think it's because you're not going anywhere. Outside, the scenery changes a little so you don't notice how fast you're going. On the treadmill, the world around you is staying the same, so all you can focus on is the speed. (That might not make any sense, but it's how I think of it)

Also ... congrats on the successful run!

That makes perfect sense. It's funny because many moons again when I did a stint of running I ran exclusively on a treadmill and I think you are right that when I was doing it all the time and I was used to it, it was no big deal, but now it feels like torture. LOL

Oh and also for those who like to follow these training journals for running gear/clothing shopping enabling, I present the newest InB offering...

Lion-Denim-Shorts-Front-B__72312.1515022981.1280.1280.jpg

Yeah, I know it's a huge picture and I was too lazy to resize it. 4" compression shorts. I have 3 of the 6" shorts, but like the idea of trying out this shorter length, so I ordered a pair of them today. :D Plus, they have 2, count 'em 2, pockets. And PURPLE!! Paging @Anisum
I’m undecided on these, not sure the shorter length will agree with me. I know they’ll look great on you though!!
It was a great sangria. Honey crisp apple in a light red wine. Delicious! And the chicken and spinach enchiladas weren't bad either. :D
OMGAHHHH that sounds amazing!! I want some!

I fell behind a little... but I'm impressed that you ran after dinner with friends! #dedication

I really love those shorts- great choice!!
(I am always intrigued by the "tight shorts" for running, but have yet to take the plunge. I love leggings, but I for some reason don't think I'd feel comfortable in the shorts version... am I missing out??)

I’m undecided on these, not sure the shorter length will agree with me. I know they’ll look great on you though!!

OMGAHHHH that sounds amazing!! I want some!

Well, I'm undecided about the length too (because I really do love the 6" shorts) but figured I'd give them a try.

And it really was amazing!! I want more now.

I fell behind a little... but I'm impressed that you ran after dinner with friends! #dedication

I really love those shorts- great choice!!
(I am always intrigued by the "tight shorts" for running, but have yet to take the plunge. I love leggings, but I for some reason don't think I'd feel comfortable in the shorts version... am I missing out??)

I was honestly a little surprised I managed to do the run myself, if I'm honest. I think because it was my first one with the faster pace, I really wanted to see how I would do with it, so added motivation.

I do love spandex shorts to run. It took me awhile to get the nerve up to wear them without a skirt covering them, but now that I have, I adore them for hot weather runs. The added material of the skirt actually does make a difference when it's really hot out.

Been trying to catch up on journals since Dopey. Congrats on Chicago and the new DB plan. Excited to hear about both and sounds like things are going well so far. Love the new blues brother avatar, that is one of our favorite movies? Have you and Chris decided who's Jake and who's Elwood?

I will also agree that skirts do make a difference when it's hot. I ended up ditching mine on the marathon. It was a cheap homemade so wasn't too sad to see it go and it did make the rest of the run much better.

I also agree with the treadmill seems faster cause you are not going past the scenery, etc. I may have mentioned this once somewhere but I have actually taken to watching peoples go pro videos of races while on the treadmill. It actually makes it feel like you are moving beyond in place especially when the photographer is weaving in and out. It's really cool when you get a faster runner than you video, kind of gives you that special I'm an elite feeling. Totally has made the treadmill more enjoyable for me.

P.S. Your puppies are adorable

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!