Hanging up my running shoes

Typically, my long runs in the training plans are dictated by two things:

1) 150 min max for continuous runners and 180 min max (*) for run/walk runners. *I'm still figuring this one out, but the data I got from Marathon Weekend says this is pretty good.
2) Best case scenario: Long run is 25% or less of weekly mileage. Good scenario: Long run is 25-30% of weekly mileage. I'm willing to go to 35% on occasion. I don't like to go above 35% of weekly mileage unless I have to.

I have not written a plan for an ultra, but here's my view. The marathon is 99% aerobic. An ultra would be 100% aerobic. So at it's core there is no difference between marathon training and ultra training. Where the key difference comes is in the pacing. Pacing during the 50 mile event would require going relatively slow. While I have not tested this theory out, I believe a 150 min max long run could still work for 50 miler training. I think stacking multiple long efforts throughout the week is a better recipe for success than a single really long training run.

I agree with you. I have only done one 50 k and probably did not train appropriately but I was consistent completing each 25 K. The first half was about 3:10 and 3:15 on the second half. I was glad to be that consistent since the heat was very intense that day. I really tried to focus on pacing.

We have a friend that ran with me on that day and he has completed five 100 mile ultras. I believe he would agree with your assessment and if I understand his training it would resemble what you have described. His longest run is a 30 miler, he focuses on a series of 20 and 30 mile runs keeping weekly totals in check with his training. This is interesting to me. At some point if I ever finish this dissertation I am working on I may hit you for more ideas on such a training plan.

I think the slowing down is definitely an adjustment - I'm expecting to struggle with that too. But you're getting better, which is a good sign!

Just don't get too good at the plan, because I'm given to understand that when you get good at the slow running, you get good at the fast races, and then you get the crazy paces...

It definitely takes a conscious effort at this point to keep those paces where they should be, but it's really nice to take it easy. Of course, the hard stuff is coming!

Chicago! Chicago! That Toddlin Town
(what does Toddlin mean anyway?)

500px-Chicago_skyline%2C_viewed_from_John_Hancock_Center.jpg

Brief update to our Chicago marathon plans. YAY!! We decided over the weekend that we might want to solidify our dates and where we want to stay. We really wanted to make this an extended weekend trip since

A) WE LOVE CHICAGO!
B) WE LOVE CHICAGO!
C) WE LOVE CHICAGO!
D) We are stoked to be running in the CHICAGO MARATHON!

So, while we could find lodging at more reasonable prices, we wanted to stay right downtown and close to the race start and finish. I went to the Chicago Marathon site and started reviewing their handy dandy list of hotels that includes information about distance to the start and finish lines. After spending some time reading reviews and looking at information, we booked the Silversmith Hotel in Downtown Chicago.

http://www.silversmithchicagohotel.com/

It's a boutique hotel that looks really nice and best of all VERY close to the start and finish. We plan on arriving on Friday and leaving Tuesday so we can really enjoy the experience and build-up to the race and then celebration after we finish. WooHoo!!

Exciting! That was one of our top choices as well! Looks like we'll be pretty close to each other. We're planning on Friday to Monday at the moment (it was Tuesday, but we'll see what happens).

I can't remember for sure where you were staying, but was it that Chicago Athletic Association Hotel? Seems like one of the pictures on their website was one I remembered you posting.

I can't remember for sure where you were staying, but was it that Chicago Athletic Association Hotel? Seems like one of the pictures on their website was one I remembered you posting.

That's right! Steph's family is at the Residence Inn and my mom is at Kimpton Allegro as well.

Yay!!!! Btw "Toddling" is what you do around town after you run 26.2 miles.

I took Friday through Monday off work.

I'll have to start putting on my thinking cap for meet up suggestions :). Eeeeeeeeeeeee

Yay!!!! Btw "Toddling" is what you do around town after you run 26.2 miles.

I took Friday through Monday off work.

I'll have to start putting on my thinking cap for meet up suggestions :). Eeeeeeeeeeeee

YES!! We need a good meet up spot!

YES!! We need a good meet up spot!
. I'm thinking of starting a "Roxy's guide to Chicago" maybe every Sat or Sun on the actual Chicago thread. So I can spend my long runs thinking about stuff to add. Some more detailed than others. Things like my fave brunch spots or best athletic clothes shopping spots downtown or favorite selfie with medal locations or donut locations near the course. Think that's a good idea? People who've been here before can add their thoughts. @DopeyBadger is the keeper of the keys on that thread so I'm summoning him here.

Stumbling out of the Starting Gate
555434126150fc6db99c8072a8cb40eb.gif

Training Week Update 1/29 - 2/4
Monday 1/29/18 - 3 miles at Easy/LR pace. Actual pace 12:13. We are supposed to be at 12:29 here. Still fighting to get to the right pace and going a bit too fast.
Tuesday 1/30/18 - Just started on our new plan and already a FAIL!!!

Woke up and it was 14 degrees outside. I know for those of you who live further north this seems like not a big deal, but I usually don't run if it's below 20. So, we didn't go run. My original thought was to do it on the treadmill that evening or do the run Wednesday, but frankly doing :60/:30 intervals on a treadmill would be misery. So, I sent a message to Coach and he told me it was okay to miss it (just don't make it a habit ;) )
Wednesday - 1/31/18 - Rest day
Thursday - 2/1/18 - 4 miles at Easy/LR pace. Actual pace 12:18. Still too fast, but at least a little closer.
Friday - 2/2/18 - Rest day and
tumblr_nj4kerjd101sbv74go2_400.gif

Stupid shadow-seeing Groundhog!!
Frozen-stop-the-winter.gif

Saturday - 2/3/18 - 3 miles at Easy/LR pace. So, before I post my pace, as I was headed out to run, my daughter reminded me she had to be at school at 7:45 for practice. Oops. I had forgotten, so needed to get through my 3 miles fairly quickly although I still tried to go a bit slower. Average pace 11:34. Sorry Coach!
Sunday - 2/4/18 - 4 miles at Easy/LR. Average pace 12:12. We just can't seem to find the right way to hit that pace, but I'm determined we will figure it out!

Total miles for the week: 14 miles of a planned 18.

I'm excited for this week as we get to try out some new paces, so let's hope those go well!

. I'm thinking of starting a "Roxy's guide to Chicago" maybe every Sat or Sun on the actual Chicago thread. So I can spend my long runs thinking about stuff to add. Some more detailed than others. Things like my fave brunch spots or best athletic clothes shopping spots downtown or favorite selfie with medal locations or donut locations near the course. Think that's a good idea? People who've been here before can add their thoughts. @DopeyBadger is the keeper of the keys on that thread so I'm summoning him here.

This is the best idea EVAH!!!

Go for it!

PACES!
6b5b579864689508d70532d31c8e3cdc.jpg

@SarahDisney
recently shared more details about the paces prescribed by Coach Billy and it was interesting to read how her plan is set up, so I thought I’d similarly share the details of my plan for anyone who is interested.

So, I think Billy used my most recent Half Marathon PR run to set these paces considering that to be my current fitness level. That PR was a 2:12 time using 2:00/:30 run/walk intervals.

Right now, the plan just goes out to mid-April as that takes me to a Half Marathon I plan to run in Kansas City. I also have a 15K race scheduled for March.

So far all our runs have been at the Easy/Long Run pace as listed here. This week, we actually get to throw in some EC and 10K miles. Woohoo and also :scared: That 10K pace with 3 minutes at 9:00 spooks me a bit after many weeks of running much slower than that, but it’s only 1 mile at the pace here at first, so surely I can do that, right?

I’ve always done run/walk intervals for my running, but Billy also asked if I wanted to try and include some periods of continuous running, so we also have some opportunities to do that and to gradually increase the time/distance for that as well. Now, the Easy Continuous pace is 12:28 which I think will be a big challenge for us to try and go at that pace. We are already struggling to slow ourselves down to the 11:15 pace needed for our Easy/LR pace right now, but we shall succeed!!

Tomorrow will be our first day with a little continuous running and then Thursday our first time trying to hit that 10K pacing intervals. Sadly, Chris is out of town on Thursday for a conference, so I have to figure out how to make that one happen on my own. I'd rather do it outside, but not keen on running in the dark on our normal route alone, so I may resort to the treadmill. I'll figure it out though. Wish us luck!

Thanks for sharing! I am fascinated by the detail of these plans :)

I have been adding 1 day of continuous running the last couple weeks (kind of by necessity as I needed to get to basketball games) and have enjoyed it, but I think I'm still an #intervals4life girl. Excited to hear how you like it! I think especially for short distances, it's nice to have that option in your arsenal.

You've got this! :thumbsup2

And if something doesn't feel right with the pacing, then we adjust. There's nothing wrong with continuing to mess with the numbers to find the right place for you. This is merely a first attempt at trying to get that nailed down. Although, I feel confident you can do it. Think of it this way:

3 mile @ Easy + 1 mile @ 180/30 sec @ 9:00/16:00 paces + 0.5 mile @ easy

The 10k portion is really just 0.33 miles at just slightly faster than 5k pace with a 30 second rest a total of three times. I know you can do that! And you get to try that again next week before moving to 2 miles of it.

If you find the EC of 12:28 too hard to go that slow, you can try to hit 11:39 instead. But try not to go faster than 11:39.

Our paces are pretty close! I like that.

Nice!

Thanks for sharing! I am fascinated by the detail of these plans :)

I have been adding 1 day of continuous running the last couple weeks (kind of by necessity as I needed to get to basketball games) and have enjoyed it, but I think I'm still an #intervals4life girl. Excited to hear how you like it! I think especially for short distances, it's nice to have that option in your arsenal.

They really are fascinating right? I also think I'm an #intervals4life girl, but like the idea of mixing in some continuous runs. We built up our run times some last year when we were doing track work and I like the variety of that.

You've got this! :thumbsup2

And if something doesn't feel right with the pacing, then we adjust. There's nothing wrong with continuing to mess with the numbers to find the right place for you. This is merely a first attempt at trying to get that nailed down. Although, I feel confident you can do it. Think of it this way:

3 mile @ Easy + 1 mile @ 180/30 sec @ 9:00/16:00 paces + 0.5 mile @ easy

The 10k portion is really just 0.33 miles at just slightly faster than 5k pace with a 30 second rest a total of three times. I know you can do that! And you get to try that again next week before moving to 2 miles of it.

If you find the EC of 12:28 too hard to go that slow, you can try to hit 11:39 instead. But try not to go faster than 11:39.

I told myself the same thing about the 10k portion. It's only a mile, so not very long of keeping that pace, so I do feel like it's doable. Good to know we could go a touch faster if we really struggle with the 12:28, but we'll do our best to try and hit that. I know there's a method to the madness after all! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter