Itinerary help

Princess Jes

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I'm hoping to get some help from Disneyland vets to work out our itinerary.

We've only visited WDW, so this will be out first DLR trip, but being a dedicated DIS Unplugged listener and just generally an intense researcher of all things in my life, I feel like I've got a decent knowledge of the basics of DLR.

What we need help with is where to place each thing in our itinerary (understanding that intense planning isn't as necessary for DLR like it can be for WDW, but needing a general skeleton of a plan)

THE DETAILS:
2 fairly fit females, 30 and 34 years young. Very happy to do rope drop and also be out late. (we’ll sleep when we are dead, amirite?)
Flying in Tuesday August 15, landing at 6:40am (from Australia... after a 30 minute commute from home to the airport, getting to the airport with a few hours to spare before our flight, then a 15 hour flight, and however long it will take us at LAX to clear customs, get an Uber and get to the hotel)
Staying at the HoJo
Leaving Saturday August 19 (flight from LAX at 9:10pm to Orlando)

THE EXTRAS (Must do Tours/Food/Experiences):
We want to do the Walk in Walts footsteps tour.
Spend half a day at Knott's.
We get one extra magic morning, that will have to be the Thursday.
Must spend an afternoon (a couple of hours) at Trader Sam's. We are doing it in WDW the following week so want to do "Coast to Coast" at TS's!!
Dine at Cheesecake factory for dinner (we don't have these in Australia and I'm dying to try it. Don't try to talk me out of it!! haha.)
Breakfast at IHOP (as per above upload_2017-5-23_10-31-52.gif)
Breakfast at Steakhouse 55
Breakfast at the Plaza Inn
Dinner at Paradise Pier
Get a wine flight at the Alfresco Terrace
Share a Monte Cristo and Pomme Frittes
Possibly a WOC pkg at Carthay
Eat at Tortilla Joe’s (not fussy on lunch or dinner... we have to get some of that tableside guac!!)
Eat lunch (or a snack) at Earl of Sandwich

At this stage, we had roughly planned the following:

Tuesday:
Check into the HoJo, hopefully before 10am, leave our bags and head straight to the parks. Thinking DCA might be the best bet because DLP will have had EMH/MM, but would ideally like to at least run into DLP as the first thing we do. Maybe hit one or two of the Mountains?
Will most likely have a relatively early night as we will have been on the go for about 30+ hours by this point. Will require a lot of snacks to keep us going.

Wednesday:
No plans as yet

Thursday:
DLP MM to hit what we can, probably stay in the park until about 11:30am, then head to Knotts. Should be back by around dinner time-ish. Head back to the parks.
Thinking a quick/early breakfast either at IHOP or Earl of Sandwich would be the best bet, just not sure what time IHOP opens?

Friday:
No plans as yet

Saturday:
No plans as yet
Depart for airport at ??? time?

So, understanding that certain things can be done any day, but others need to be done on a particular day, what would you recommend for us?

Thanks for your time and thanks in advance for your help!!

There's an IHOP near Knott's on Beach Blvd. If you're going to do it that day, you might as well start there instead of going down Harbor to the one across from Disney. They serve breakfast all day. You could even get EoS before DL opens that morning and take it into the park with you.

There's an IHOP near Knott's on Beach Blvd. If you're going to do it that day, you might as well start there instead of going down Harbor to the one across from Disney. They serve breakfast all day. You could even get EoS before DL opens that morning and take it into the park with you.
We were planning on going to Knott's later in the day to utilize the lower crowds at DLR in the morning (plus Knotts opens at 10am, so would be wasting DLR time). We are happy to pay for Fast Lane at Knott's if we need it (after coming all that way and having limited time, the extra $ is irrelevant to us) otherwise that would be a fab idea!

EDIT:
Sorry, I misunderstood, now I know what you mean!!
That's an idea, we will play it by ear, though I think there's somewhere at Knott's that id like to have lunch (not the fried chicken, I don't really enjoy fried chicken) but I cant think of where at the moment

I see you are considering a WOC dining package. The new Fantasmic might be open by August, I'd keep a watch out for dining packages for that. I'm going in July and getting a good spot for Fantasmic was always a huge pain for me (short), so I'm going to get a dining package if they are released.

I always agonize over when to schedule a Plaza Inn bfast. If you schedule it too early you miss valuable early hour park time. If you schedule it too close to the end of breakfast, you might miss characters. This happened to me a few times when I scheduled a later breakfast and some of the characters had left to participate in a small show in front of the castle.

Starting out at Trader Sam's in the afternoon is a good idea since there aren't a lot of seats available inside. Are you planning to get any souvenir glasses? I think there are a couple styles that are similar between the two Trader Sam's, like the volcano or the zombie head. That might be cool because the designs will still be a little different and then you'll have one from each coast.

If you are willing to take a taxi/Uber, there is an Original Pancake House on Lincoln (near State College), about 10 minutes or so from the parks. They are open until 2 pm every day. Even though IHOP is better known, TOPH is far superior (the first one in Oregon won a James Beard Award -- like the Oscars for food). Very homestyle, great service, been there forever. It's one of our favorite places to eat by DLR. Just throwing this out there...
Have fun at the Cheesecake Factory! The menu is huge and the portions are very generous (you might share so you can try more things). Look for discount coupons in your hotel room or online.
WOC package at CCR is one of our favorite ways to see the show. Don't forget about the Dessert Party (the only way to get an actual chair). The two viewing sections are right next to each other, but with the CCR section you are allowed to move up to the wet zone (the WCT and Ariel's section) if you ask.

Thursday:
DLP MM to hit what we can, probably stay in the park until about 11:30am, then head to Knotts. Should be back by around dinner time-ish. Head back to the parks.
Thinking a quick/early breakfast either at IHOP or Earl of Sandwich would be the best bet, just not sure what time IHOP opens?
The Harbor IHOP is open 24 hours so they'll be open and ready whenever you are. I agree that IHOP isn't all that, but you do have to eat and you basically walk right to it on the way to the parks from Hojo anyway. I would not do EoS on the day you plan to do MM. It's at the very far end of DTD from Harbor so you'll be doing a lot of extra walking/time spent to get over there before going in for MM. That said, IHOP is a table service place and not necessarily super fast either.

How do you guys usually do on the flight? Do you sleep well on the flight or will you be exhausted that first day? I agree that you should go to DL first. Just to start the trip off right. In my opinion (which I know not everyone shares) the effect of EMH/MM largely fades by late morning anyway. But you have plenty of time at the parks- I really wouldn't stress about it too much. If you think you'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed, maybe consider doing WIWF on your first day as a good "kickoff" to the trip.

I see you are considering a WOC dining package. The new Fantasmic might be open by August, I'd keep a watch out for dining packages for that.
Thanks for that! I will!

I always agonize over when to schedule a Plaza Inn bfast. If you schedule it too early you miss valuable early hour park time
Does DLR do pre-park opening reservations like WDW does? that was my plan (but hadn't put a lot of thought into if it was actually an option)

Are you planning to get any souvenir glasses?
Yes indeed we are!!! My Hippopotomaitai glass broke in transit last year, so need to replace that!

That might be cool because the designs will still be a little different and then you'll have one from each coast.
Oh man, these glasses will send me broke! I love collecting things like that!

If you are willing to take a taxi/Uber, there is an Original Pancake House on Lincoln (near State College), about 10 minutes or so from the parks. They are open until 2 pm every day.
Yeah, definitely open to Uber. I will have a look and see what it's like and if we can fit it in!

Have fun at the Cheesecake Factory! The menu is huge and the portions are very generous (you might share so you can try more things). Look for discount coupons in your hotel room or online.
thanks for the tip! i'll add it to my list!
Sharing everything is the plan at most of our meals, we want to be able to try heaps!

Don't forget about the Dessert Party
Oh!! how much is that?!

The Harbor IHOP is open 24 hours so they'll be open and ready whenever you are
Excellent, thanks for the info

I would not do EoS on the day you plan to do MM. It's at the very far end of DTD from Harbor so you'll be doing a lot of extra walking/time spent to get over there before going in for MM. That said, IHOP is a table service place and not necessarily super fast either.
Ahh, didn't think of that! will leave that as a lunch/afternoon snack option.

How do you guys usually do on the flight? Do you sleep well on the flight or will you be exhausted that first day? I agree that you should go to DL first. Just to start the trip off right. In my opinion (which I know not everyone shares) the effect of EMH/MM largely fades by late morning anyway. But you have plenty of time at the parks- I really wouldn't stress about it too much. If you think you'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed, maybe consider doing WIWF on your first day as a good "kickoff" to the trip.
I didn't realise they were doing 2 tours a day (I thought it was only the 9am as per WDWinfo.com) but have asked my sister her thoughts on this.
I think we will get a few broken hours of sleep, but we leave home in the morning, so it's hard to sleep when it's meant to be daytime where you're leaving from.
My sister is planning on taking some meds to knock her out on the plane, so im worried she will wake up groggy.

We went last September when it was hot and busy (although of course it's almost always busy)! We found the later tour worked really well because we could do more on our own in the morning when it was cooler and less crowded. Then the tour was a lovely break from the crowds, including some air-conditioned areas, no lines for the rides we went on (Alice and IASW) and a nice relaxing lunch with reserved seating. Our tour guide was fantastic, as I'm sure they all would be.

Tour times vary wildly. When I did mine last June, they were at 9:30 and 10:30. Since then, I've seen them at noon and various other times. So definitely check. I do highly recommend a later one so that you can take full advantage of early morning crowd levels.

So it looks like your list includes:
- 3 Table Service breakfasts: IHOP, Steakhouse 55, Plaza Inn (ok, it's a buffet)
- 7 lunch/dinner meals at various places

Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour includes lunch.

By the way, IHOP is really nothing to write home about. It's nothing special. You'd get better quality breakfast food at Panera, but I don't think Panera has stuff like pancakes.

Tuesday:
After you stash your luggage at Hojo's and go on a couple of rides at DL or DCA, have lunch at Tortilla Joe's. Take monorail there & back. Dinner on Paradise Pier at DCA or do the WOC package at Carthay Circle.

Wednesday:
Eat a grab & go breakfast in your hotel room. Go on rides when the park opens. Get on the monorail to DTD & have a late breakfast at Steakhouse 55. They're open for breakfast from 7-11 am. So you could make your reservation for 10:30 am. Leave Tomorrowland by 10:15 am to allow you enough travel time.

Dinner on Wed could be the wine flight (+ appetizers) at Alfresco Tasting Terrace.

Thursday:

Since you're going in August, MM on Thursday could be at 8 am or it could be at 7 am. Thursday is the day that you should do breakfast at the Plaza Inn. Eat some granola bars early at your hotel, go on rides all morning, schedule your Plaza Inn breakfast for 10:00 am.

Dinner on Thursday - if you're going back to DL after visiting Knotts, then just plan on doing counter service somewhere. This would be a good opportunity to eat somewhere at Paradise Pier.

OR have dinner on Thursday evening at Cheesecake Factory.

Friday:
You could do an early lunch reservation at Cafe Orleans in order to check off the sharing a monte cristo & pomme frittes from your list! Then when crowds at DL get kind of high, take the monorail to DTD and go to the DLH to have a cocktail at Trader Sam's.

Saturday:
Earl of Sandwich for lunch before you leave for DL/DTD & head to the airport.

Thanks for that! I will!

Does DLR do pre-park opening reservations like WDW does? that was my plan (but hadn't put a lot of thought into if it was actually an option)

Yes indeed we are!!! My Hippopotomaitai glass broke in transit last year, so need to replace that!

Oh man, these glasses will send me broke! I love collecting things like that!

Yeah, definitely open to Uber. I will have a look and see what it's like and if we can fit it in!

thanks for the tip! i'll add it to my list!
Sharing everything is the plan at most of our meals, we want to be able to try heaps!

Oh!! how much is that?!

Excellent, thanks for the info

Ahh, didn't think of that! will leave that as a lunch/afternoon snack option.

I didn't realise they were doing 2 tours a day (I thought it was only the 9am as per WDWinfo.com) but have asked my sister her thoughts on this.
I think we will get a few broken hours of sleep, but we leave home in the morning, so it's hard to sleep when it's meant to be daytime where you're leaving from.
My sister is planning on taking some meds to knock her out on the plane, so im worried she will wake up groggy.

Unfortunately DL does not offer pre park opening reservations.

So it looks like your list includes:
- 3 Table Service breakfasts: IHOP, Steakhouse 55, Plaza Inn (ok, it's a buffet)
- 7 lunch/dinner meals at various places

Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour includes lunch.

By the way, IHOP is really nothing to write home about. It's nothing special. You'd get better quality breakfast food at Panera, but I don't think Panera has stuff like pancakes.

Tuesday:
After you stash your luggage at Hojo's and go on a couple of rides at DL or DCA, have lunch at Tortilla Joe's. Take monorail there & back. Dinner on Paradise Pier at DCA or do the WOC package at Carthay Circle.

Wednesday:
Eat a grab & go breakfast in your hotel room. Go on rides when the park opens. Get on the monorail to DTD & have a late breakfast at Steakhouse 55. They're open for breakfast from 7-11 am. So you could make your reservation for 10:30 am. Leave Tomorrowland by 10:15 am to allow you enough travel time.

Dinner on Wed could be the wine flight (+ appetizers) at Alfresco Tasting Terrace.

Thursday:

Since you're going in August, MM on Thursday could be at 8 am or it could be at 7 am. Thursday is the day that you should do breakfast at the Plaza Inn. Eat some granola bars early at your hotel, go on rides all morning, schedule your Plaza Inn breakfast for 10:00 am.

Dinner on Thursday - if you're going back to DL after visiting Knotts, then just plan on doing counter service somewhere. This would be a good opportunity to eat somewhere at Paradise Pier.

OR have dinner on Thursday evening at Cheesecake Factory.

Friday:
You could do an early lunch reservation at Cafe Orleans in order to check off the sharing a monte cristo & pomme frittes from your list! Then when crowds at DL get kind of high, take the monorail to DTD and go to the DLH to have a cocktail at Trader Sam's.

Saturday:
Earl of Sandwich for lunch before you leave for DL/DTD & head to the airport.

I think this is a great plan and if you're really wanting to try IHOP it could be on the way back to the room Wednesday night (I'm a big fan of breakfast for dinner since I like breakfast food but am not very hungry in the mornings)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter