Italy recommendations

sportel

Mouseketeer
We are less than 6 weeks away from our first ABD - Viva Italia! My whole family is getting very excited. I am looking for some recommendations from experienced visitors to Italy for our on your own time - things to see, restaurants, maybe some great shops, etc. I've made some notes from old trip reports and I'm sure the guides will give us recommendations as we go, but I need to have a rough outline of some ideas or else we will suffer from "paralysis by analysis" with so much to see and do!

Last edited:
Hi, sportel, I saw this when you posted but was actually in Venice at the time so had to wait to get back to answer you!

The on-your-own time is scattered on this trip - an afternoon here, an evening there, and is subject to change, so I wouldn't set any plans in stone. We bought tix to the Uffizi ahead of time because we were sure we wanted to do that in Florence, and then it turned out that the guides had arranged as a surprise to take anyone who wanted to go one evening. (We were there at Christmas time, so were staying in the city not out in the country, so this particular example might not apply to you, but you get the idea.)

Having said that, I can tell you some "pop-in" things we did on our own that were great and that you don't need to plan too far ahead for. We are big into history and art, so not sure you will like it all, but fwiw, here's what we liked:

In Rome, we did the Museum and Crypt of the Capuchins, and it was really cool. Other than that we mostly walked and looked. Such an amazing city! Not sure how old your kids are, but if they're old enough to get into photography, this is the city to get started with it. So many statues, building flourishes, and scenic views to record! You could even set up a themed "scavenger hunt" and take photos of arches, winged people, fancy animal water spouts, or whatever your kids get excited about.

In Florence, Palazzo Vechhio is amazing, especially if you're a Dan Brown fan, but also just if you like incredible historical buildings. There is the palace to tour and a tower to climb. Of course, the Uffizi is a big draw, although I will say it was a little overwhelming. Rick Steves does a good audio tour podcast of it, which makes it a little more manageable and gets you to the highlights.

Also in Florence, there is a really cool medieval house museum called Palazzo Davanzati that is basically a preserved home from the 1300s. The wall painting alone is worth the entry. This wasn't on our radar at all, but we sat up front in the van that took us to our ABD dinner one night, and got to chatting with the driver and he told us about it. You can see the whole thing in an hour, and it gave me a real vision of how people lived at the time. Since then, DD has started studying art history at college, and one day this Palazzo came up in her Renaissance class. So it's actually a big deal, apparently.

Other things people do in Florence is climb the tower by the Duomo and tour the Duomo. (Can you tell we had more time in Florence on our own than in Rome?)

In Venice, if you like art and/or old churches, you can easily fill a day just walking and stopping in to any church that is open. I would especially suggest you find your way to Campo dei Frari and tour both the Frari church and the nearby Scoula de San Rocco. (Finding your way is easy, there will be yellow signs pointing you toward both of these as you walk along. It is very close to where you will do the mask painting, and we were given free time right after that.) The Frari contains Titian's Assumption, in place as it was originally intended to be viewed, a rare thing for this type of work. The Scoula, especially the upstairs portion, is pretty impressive as well. If you need more art, the Ca d'Oro is full of incredible pieces in a wonderful Venetian palace setting. If you need more active stuff, you can climb the Campanile in St. Mark's square.

As for meals, we've found on our ABDs that if we get too fixated on a particular restaurant ahead of time, it always turns out to be a little inconvenient or to add stress trying to get to it. You are turned loose at different points and places each day, and who knows when you will be hungry or not? We've found it better to rely on our guides to make reservations for us at good dinner spots, and for the lunch on our own time, we often rely on Yelp or Trip Advisor for whatever area we are in when we get hungry. The pocket Rick Steves guides are also good for this as he gives several suggestions for each area of the city. To be completely honest though, the food in Italy is so good, that you can't go wrong even in a "bad" restaurant. You will still enjoy fresh pasta no matter where you land!

I hope this helps at least a little. This was one of our favorite ABDs (well, each one we've done has been a favorite tbh). It is so well planned out and paced and the access you get is over the top amazing. You will have a wonderful time no matter what you do!

My teenage daughter and I did this trip several years ago. We also did the Uffizi in Florence --- we booked tickets ahead of time, and just told our guides about it, so they made sure we were freed up from the normal activities in time and showed us where to go to pick up our Uffizi tickets, etc. It was easy to book the tickets online. It turned out that the Uffizi took up most of our time in Florence, but it was wonderful for my daughter who is very in to visual arts.

In Rome, we did a pre-day and took a tour through Context Travel to Ostia Antica, which is the "Pompeii of Rome." It was wonderful if you are interested in that sort of thing (and my daughter very much was). I think there were four or five people total on our tour, with a fantastic guide. We met him at a subway station in the City, and then he took us on the train out to Ostia, gave us a tour, and then brought us back. It was really very well done and worth the cost. The guide was an American living in Rome and married to an Italian woman (though their guides vary), so obviously his English was excellent and he was extremely knowledgable about the area and gave us a lot of historic detail. He asked the group what was of interest and was able to adjust the tour and take us places at Ostia that were of particular interest. You do sort of need an extra day to do something like this, though; we had booked a pre-day mostly to adjust to the time change. Context Travel also has a number of other tours there, and they were really excellent and easy to deal with.

We also did the Capuchin Crypt on our arrival day, as well as the Borghese Gallery (again, for the teenage artist). For those, we just took the subway and walked the rest of the way to the museum -- it was a beautiful walk, mostly through a park. I cannot remember the name of the subway stops at this point, but I am not a very good navigator and had no problem using the subway in Rome ---- it is not very complicated, just a couple of lines that cross each other once, I think. We were there in late June.

In Venice, I recall us primarily resting during our on our own time. And in terms of meals, we typically just asked the guides for suggestions.

It is a wonderful trip. I hope that you and your family enjoy it.

Thanks so much @kristilew and @twentyco for your suggestions! I have added your ideas to my list. I don't need to plan out every moment, but I do want to have a bit of a running list of ideas so we can maximize our time. Good advice about not getting too fixed on eating at a particular spot. I will relax about the meals and keep TripAdvisor close at hand for reviews if necessary. Mostly I want to avoid the holiday nightmare of two hangry boys (and one hangry adult!) waiting not-so-patiently for me to find the perfect spot to satiate everyone immediately. My job is to keep everyone fed and watered... When in doubt I think I'll track down the closest gelateria :)

One thing to keep in mind, you will need advance tickets to climb the Duomo or Campanile in Florence.
We are just back and tickets were booked up 72 hours in advance. You can buy on-line and they are a little flexible about when you show up (2 PM ticket was OK to be early or late).
You can climb St Peter's dome in Rome without an advance ticket.
Florence's dome is actually more fun to climb than Rome's. Your kids would love it.

For a great Florence view at sunset, walk out to Michelangelo's square. Lively night life there as well.

Last edited:
I second the suggestion of the Crypt of the Capuchins. We did that on our pre-tour day in Rome, and it was fabulous!

Ask the Guides for directions to Memmo's (near Vatican) in Roma. Excellent!

For perfect pottery....in Orvieto the shop across from the Duomo. They will ship it home for you!

Think about your Mask design before you go...I wish I had! Would gladly make another!

Cherish every moment....that trip is Fantastico!

Hi Aquamarine Steph!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter