It Truly was the Nightmare at Thanksgiving Disney Trip!- update 4/5 pg 10

I am here and sorry I am late. So sorry to hear about the school. Glad you got it worked out. My daughter is a middle school teacher in NKY and they actually have classes on how to determine a threat. I think we are neighbors, we also own at BLT and we live in NKY at the top of the cut in the hill. I hope you trip has more "ups" than "downs".

:welcome: Glad to have a fellow Kentuckian here!!! I live in southern Ohio now (about 30 minutes east of Cincy) but grew up in Kentucky. My husband is originally from Cincy and in his earlier years was a fireman/EMT in Cold Spring.

Yay for another BLT owner. The ups do outweigh the downs but there are a lot more downs to come!!!

Good to know on the pizza, I think the only meal I've had off property in the last decade is...Waffle House! Oh and a nightmare meal at a Perkins almost a decade ago. Haven't been to one since :rotfl2: I'm not counting anything at Universal.

Nice view, someday I will see the EWP, how lovely to do it from your verandah!

We really enjoyed Wishes from TOWL, I hope to take my family up there next year. I can't recall if there is a guest limit or not...need to check on that.

:offtopic:I am going to start this update to let you know that I think we did make a difference in our school district. There was yet another threat made against students at our high school again this week by another student. This time, administration immediately reported to law enforcement and pressed charges. The student has currently been put on house arrest pending trial/sentencing. I do think the administration has a long way to go to really ward off this type of behavior but I was glad to see that they did involve law enforcement this time.

I'm so glad to hear more positive has come from you taking a stand! I can't even imagine how hard the whole experience was!

I didn't try to take pictures of the fireworks. I was just really enjoying the moment with Jeremy. It reminded me a lot of last year when he and I went by ourselves at Disney. He was having so much fun and the worries of all things going on at home were gone. And quite honestly, they stayed gone until the drive home.

This made me smile! I'm so glad he enjoyed the trip and got a much needed break from the craziness at home!

The Christmas tree in the lobby is so pretty and Jeremy is as photogenic as always.

I always see coupons for Giordano's. Good to know they received your endorsement.

That picture of the castle is so pretty.

Let the cruise begin!!!!!!! :cool1:

And thank goodness your district is finally stepping up to the plate.

Hey Ericka,

I hope that today is a good one for you, Tom and Jeremy...:goodvibes

I'm glad that it sounds like Jeremy was able to put his troubles behind him during this trip and I'm looking forward to living vicariously through your cruise...

BLT is on my bucket list of properties to try out...

Just thinking (a dangerous past time I know...;) since you mentioned that Jeremy is involved in scouts and 4H... and I know previous poster (sorry on reply page... so I'm not sure who it was...) mentioned karate...I think it's a good idea... but not everyone likes it (we did it for a couple years and David lost interest... it becomes more and more serious)... there are a lot of different martial arts though all with different philosophies... but where I'm going with this is that if Jeremy is interested in any kind of sport... anything... that is a good thing for him to get involved in if for no other reason that it makes you feel comfortable in your own skin... and if you feel comfortable in your own skin... you tend to feel more confident...(there will still be bullies unfortunately but if you feel more confident... well that can only be good...:goodvibes

it doesn't have to be a team sport unless he wants that...(I happen to love baseball so David has played just a little bit of that but what really has been great for him is swimming... Swimming is great for so very many reasons but also you are part of a team and you compete but you are ultimately competing against yourself... There's also track and field stuff and tennis and squash which are also good...(all good if you don't want that big traditional team sport kind of thing)

Basically any thing he might be interested in doing physically is great because for better or worse boy culture is deeply sports oriented and its a common thing... I don't think any boy should have to play a team sport... ie football, basketball, etc. if he doesn't want to but it is helpful to have a physical activity/sport that they pursue... and it puts him in with a tribe of like minded kids who are pursing the same activity...

I know there aren't enough hours in the day but just something to think about...

You should feel great that you have so many awesome supporters here...:goodvibes

:hug:

Just now catching up! I think I've subscribed to too many TRs! :rotfl:

I cannot believe the threat on Jeremy. I mean, how absolutely outrageous that the administration responded in the way they did. At least you all have made a difference with the other student, but how terrible that Jeremy had to go through all of that... You all will definitely be in my prayers.

Your second picture of the castle was GORGEOUS! :bitelip:

I have wanted to enjoy Wishes without a camera. The last time I did, I cried... Wishes just has that effect on me... It's such a magical moment in time. Everything stops and for a minute, you are just in bliss, no other worries. :cloud9:

Can't wait to hear about your cruise! I've always been interested in the Disney Cruises!

Caught up finally :goodvibes

I am glad the adminstration is getting the message.

Excited for your cruise. What a nice way to wind down the evening with Wishes.

Good to know on the pizza, I think the only meal I've had off property in the last decade is...Waffle House! Oh and a nightmare meal at a Perkins almost a decade ago. Haven't been to one since :rotfl2: I'm not counting anything at Universal.

Nice view, someday I will see the EWP, how lovely to do it from your verandah!

We really enjoyed Wishes from TOWL, I hope to take my family up there next year. I can't recall if there is a guest limit or not...need to check on that.

I like TOWL. Actually, I like staying in BLT. Even if you don't have a MK view, just being that close where you see it everytime you to the elevator, CR, outside is just perfect for me! I can't wait for the GF DVC to be open. We keep having addonitis but hold out as we really want to buy there next.

I'm so glad to hear more positive has come from you taking a stand! I can't even imagine how hard the whole experience was!

This made me smile! I'm so glad he enjoyed the trip and got a much needed break from the craziness at home!

He had a blast the rest of the trip. He loved the new Fantasyland. I enjoy taking him there so much. He truly loves that place and his imagination just goes wild there.

The Christmas tree in the lobby is so pretty and Jeremy is as photogenic as always.

I always see coupons for Giordano's. Good to know they received your endorsement.

That picture of the castle is so pretty.

Let the cruise begin!!!!!!! :cool1:

And thank goodness your district is finally stepping up to the plate.

I did a good job the first of the trip taking tree pictures....fairly well on the back end. :confused3 Although, I am not sure I took any pictures in the Beach Club lobby. You will understand later as to why.....

Cruise update coming!!!! Really wish we were heading on another cruise this year. Oh well, 2014 will have to do........................................

Hey Ericka,

I hope that today is a good one for you, Tom and Jeremy...:goodvibes

I'm glad that it sounds like Jeremy was able to put his troubles behind him during this trip and I'm looking forward to living vicariously through your cruise...

BLT is on my bucket list of properties to try out...

Just thinking (a dangerous past time I know...;) since you mentioned that Jeremy is involved in scouts and 4H... and I know previous poster (sorry on reply page... so I'm not sure who it was...) mentioned karate...I think it's a good idea... but not everyone likes it (we did it for a couple years and David lost interest... it becomes more and more serious)... there are a lot of different martial arts though all with different philosophies... but where I'm going with this is that if Jeremy is interested in any kind of sport... anything... that is a good thing for him to get involved in if for no other reason that it makes you feel comfortable in your own skin... and if you feel comfortable in your own skin... you tend to feel more confident...(there will still be bullies unfortunately but if you feel more confident... well that can only be good...:goodvibes

it doesn't have to be a team sport unless he wants that...(I happen to love baseball so David has played just a little bit of that but what really has been great for him is swimming... Swimming is great for so very many reasons but also you are part of a team and you compete but you are ultimately competing against yourself... There's also track and field stuff and tennis and squash which are also good...(all good if you don't want that big traditional team sport kind of thing)

Basically any thing he might be interested in doing physically is great because for better or worse boy culture is deeply sports oriented and its a common thing... I don't think any boy should have to play a team sport... ie football, basketball, etc. if he doesn't want to but it is helpful to have a physical activity/sport that they pursue... and it puts him in with a tribe of like minded kids who are pursing the same activity...

I know there aren't enough hours in the day but just something to think about...

You should feel great that you have so many awesome supporters here...:goodvibes

:hug:

We have thought about karate. He has a friend in it. Jeremy just crossed over into boy scouts in December and is really embracing it more than he did in cub scouts. He has his first merit badge challenge next weekend. He already has most of the prework done which amazes me. He is a procrastinator. He is really looking forward to camp this summer so I am hoping this will build his confidence.

Cruise update is coming later today! I love a Disney cruise. You must go sometime. It was a lot of fun.

Oh, and you have to try BLT. I really like staying there. I think they have the best beds on property too. Not sure why but they seem so much softer there.

Just now catching up! I think I've subscribed to too many TRs! :rotfl:

I cannot believe the threat on Jeremy. I mean, how absolutely outrageous that the administration responded in the way they did. At least you all have made a difference with the other student, but how terrible that Jeremy had to go through all of that... You all will definitely be in my prayers.

Your second picture of the castle was GORGEOUS! :bitelip:

I have wanted to enjoy Wishes without a camera. The last time I did, I cried... Wishes just has that effect on me... It's such a magical moment in time. Everything stops and for a minute, you are just in bliss, no other worries. :cloud9:

Can't wait to hear about your cruise! I've always been interested in the Disney Cruises!

I know what you mean. I get so behind on my reading. I feel guilty updating here before I have read everyone else's updates.

:)Thanks for your support. Things are looking up at our school. We have a new superintendent that starts next month. Parents are VERY excited. He has a good reputation and is coming from a district that does well and has a no tolerance reputation regarding these types of situations. I am hoping he is a breath of fresh air.

Cruise update coming later today.

Caught up finally :goodvibes

I am glad the adminstration is getting the message.

Excited for your cruise. What a nice way to wind down the evening with Wishes.

It was a great day! Anxious to get the cruise portion of this trip started. How was the marathon? I admire runners. Not sure how you do it but wish I could get motivated to run. I have tried couch to 5K many times but always slack into it. A friend and I are going to try it full force in spring. We are hoping to succeed as we want to run a 5K in the fall in Cincinnati.

I have been running a little behind yet again! Shocker, right?!!! :laughing: With the year end means a lot more work in the office. My auditors are in right now and found out today that the governmental auditor who audits us about every 3-5 years is coming in next week! :scared1: So, my spare time is few and far between. Trying to get caught up on everyone's reports and plan is to update mine later today. Cruise is coming your way!!!!

Your son reminds me of my son. He is 12 and in 6th grade. He has been bullied for a few years and teased about his weight. With all the craziness right before your trip, I am glad you were able to get away. Looking forward to reading more! :thumbsup2

Your son reminds me of my son. He is 12 and in 6th grade. He has been bullied for a few years and teased about his weight. With all the craziness right before your trip, I am glad you were able to get away. Looking forward to reading more! :thumbsup2

I just don't get it. I would never have thought of saying anything mean to another student when I was growing up. Kids nowadays (or some that is) just don't have respect for one another at all.

Glad to have you here! Update is coming! :)

Let's keep this trip sailing! (no pun intended :lmao:)

So, it was Sunday, November 18th. We had checked out of BLT. I think it was around 9:30-10:00 when we left. Now, this is where I must admit that I was a POOR Disney planner for this trip. I had not done my research on the cruise at all. :confused3 I waited until mid October to even check in (we could have in September) and our boarding time was 1:30. :sad: My plans of getting to the port early and getting on the ship early were not starting off well before we even left.

So, knowing that we had an hour drive and plenty of time to spare, we headed back to DTD. :confused3 In all of our shopping adventure the night before and not buying anything, I completely forgot the main reason I wanted to go there which was to pick up our park tickets and Christmast party tickets at Guest Relations. Plans were to head to AK when we got back to WDW and I didn't want any problems with the tickets.

I did get a few pictures of things I had missed the night before.

IMG_1735_zpsba81a644.jpg

Don't you just think Jeremy is ready for a cruise. I love this shirt and thought it was fitting for the day. (Jeremy likes it too! :thumbsup2)

IMG_1736_zps95f9bba5.jpg

So, with all of our tickets in tow, we headed toward the Port. :drive: The drive is not bad from Orlando to Port Canaveral. It only took about an hour--maybe not even that long. I had a hard time concentrating on time. Because it was much sooner than I expected that this beauty came into view.

IMG_1737_zps5b57244c.jpg

Oh my, we were all squealing with delight. And then it happened......................:sad: Yes, I was crying. I even saw tears in Tom's eyes. We were so happy and I suddenly felt like the first day I held that little 4 year old boy in my arms at the Magic Kingdom train station and looked out over Main Street. That is when my love of Disney began and looking in the back seat of that car was the now big little man he has become and I was so happy to be sharing this moment with both my boys. This is why I love Disney and the feelings of happiness and good times (even when they are not so good). Okay, enough sappiness.

As you can see, there are a lot of pictures of this beautiful ship.

IMG_1738_zps2bbacf24.jpg

There were two other ships in port as well (one on left and right).

IMG_1739_zps994e5792.jpg

IMG_1740_zpsa322ee95.jpg

IMG_1741_zpsef342b00.jpg

Uh, watch the road, honey....he was VERY excited!

IMG_1742_zps2d69fb8b.jpg

It is easy to find the Disney parking lot.

IMG_1744_zps29448d7f.jpg

It was about 11:30 now (2 hours ahead of our check in) and I really wasn't sure what to do or what we would be allowed to do since we weren't supposed to be there until 1:30. We pull up and went through an ID check. They told Tom to pull up and unload. Jeremy and I could go on in and he would meet us. Note: I am really not sure what the deal is with the 1:30 time as it had no bearing on us whatsoever. If anyone has cruised before and seen where the times made a difference, please let me know.

So, luggage was unloaded. Jeremy and I took the carry-ons and Tom was off with the car.

continued in next post..

In front of the terminal. You can probably see the people through the glass in line for the scanners. Notice the bag Jeremy has in the picture. It is a DVC bag that was sent to us after we purchased. Remember that as I have another DUMB moment very soon!

IMG_1745_zps2988d3df.jpg

Jeremy and I got in line. There are actualy two scanners but everybody was heading to the one on the left. We headed to the right and was quickly through. However, I look up and notice Tom on an escalator outside of the building. Evidently there are more scanners up there too. :confused3 I will have to take his word for it as I never saw them. We headed up to the second floor and Tom was waiting on us. Now, this is where I have a truly DUMB moment.

As soon as we get off the escalators and meet up with Tom, this DVC guy comes to us and says, Oh, here is some of our DVC family, Welcome Home! I was truly dumbfounded. How in the world did he know we were DVC? There were no one checking our names off at security so how did he know we would be coming up the escalator to officially check in. :confused3 He looked us up on his list of DVC members cruising and gave us some lanyards. He also gave us an invite to the DVC Reception/Sales Pitch at 2:00 that afternoon. We had a nice chat. He was from Kentucky (my home state). We head to check in and I am still dumbfounded. I was beginning to think Disney really did have magical powers. I mentioned it to Tom and he bust out laughing and looked at me and said, Are you really serious? :headache: Uh, you are carrying a bag that says DVC Member. ::yes::Yes, Yes I was! :lmao: Oh well, dumb moment over. Let's get checked in.

Check in was no wait and went very smoothly. Our boarding number was 30. :scared1: The cast member was super nice and told me they were on 6 now but it wouldn't take long to get to 30. It took about 45 minutes.

Goofy was out meeting people so we hopped in line. Jeremy had bought a Disney notebook the other night and actually wanted an autograph. I about passed out. He hadn't done that in years!

IMG_1746_zps87176548.jpg

:-)badpc: Photobucket just froze up. Need to restart the computer. More coming here in a few)

IMG_1747_zps1044ce5c.jpg

IMG_1748_zps2921c51c.jpg

IMG_1749_zpsd062fb36.jpg

There is an observation deck outside of the terminal so we set out there for a while and looked at the ship. However, you cannot hear them calling the boarding number.

IMG_1750_zps4ddbbe6d.jpg

IMG_1751_zps561819f5.jpg

It didn't take long and we were soon hearing 30 at 12:30!!! Who hoo!

IMG_1752_zps047def70.jpg

Once you go through the Mickey Ears, there is another stop to take a picture before boarding. We did buy that picture. I will have to scan it at home and try to load it later on.

Soon, we were in the doorway of the lobby and they were welcoming us on. How exciting!

IMG_1753_zps87e17aab.jpg

Beautiful chandelier up above.

IMG_1754_zps326211b2.jpg

On the elevator heading to Cabanas for lunch.

IMG_1755_zpsfb1b4139.jpg

I didn't get any pictures at lunch. We were hungry and it was crowded. Now, for a buffet (which I am not a huge fan), the food was actually good. All of us thought so.

It was 1:30 and we could go check out our room.

Hindsight, I should have done some research. I had no idea where things were on this ship. At this point, I knew what front, middle, and aft meant but had no clue which was the front or aft when I was wondering around. It was really mind boggling and a little upfront study would have helped. I know that when we got off on the 5th floor, we walked past the Oceaneers Club which looked fun. Jeremy is 10 so he could have went there but had no interest or desire. He thought he was too old for it. The tween club is for 11 years old. We got to the middle of the ship which overlooks the main area. The excursion booking desk was there. Belle was out and Jeremy wanted a picture. I could have fainted. Two characters and two pictures! Wow! I think he thought Belle was pretty.

IMG_1756_zps1585a2da.jpg

We walked a maze of hallways and finally found room 5015, an inside stateroom with magical porthole. And score, we had a DVC magnet.

IMG_1757_zps69ba0e77.jpg

IMG_1758_zpsd8b13922.jpg

The afternoon is a little fuzzy. I know we went to the DVC reception. It was at 2 or 2:30 and lasted an hour. They have appetizers and free mimosas for the adults and sparkling apple juice for the children. Jeremy thought that was neat. They gave us all a free hat, a nice notebook folder and pen, and a dvc shopping bag. One lucky person (not us) got a $200 onboard credit but you have to be there to win. They had to draw 3 times before they got a winner. They are not pushy and did have a good offer if you wanted to add on. Tom was determined we were going to add on. He got one of the time slots for 9 p.m. that night.

From my pictures, I think we went back to the room and let Jeremy change. The aqua duck was calling his name.

IMG_1760_zps6bd38f3c.jpg

(continued in next post)

I know we didn't hit the aqua duck immediately. We somehow got seperated. I think Tom went back to the room. We still hadn't figured out the wave phones so I think he was going to try to do that. Jeremy and I wandered around. It came on to report to your muster station so we went on and did so, hoping Tom would find us.

They line you up by family for the drill. They will check you in. I told the guy that we were missing one. He told me to have Tom let him know when he arrived. Tom did so and he got quite snippy with Tom. He was actually quite rude to a lot of people and I noticed managers talking to him off to the side when it was over. It was just not Disney like behavior from a cast member. :confused3

After the drill, it was time for the sailaway party. Jeremy didn't want anything to do with it. He wanted on that coaster and fast. So, Tom and I got a good spot at the back of the top deck to watch the show below. The line for the aqua duck was right behind us so we could keep an eye on Jeremy. Now, you do have to ride 2 people on the aqua duck. So, if you don't find a buddy immediately, you might have to wait awhile until another single rider comes. Jeremy didn't have any trouble and I actually think that one time they let him go on his own.

IMG_1763_zps414b7bee.jpg

I just noticed that most of my pictures didn't upload so I am going to stop here.

Up Next:

Sailing Away
What is the purpose of a Wave Phone if you don't carry it?
Did our room vanish?? The case of the missing room.
My Dad warned me about this.....Will this be the end of the beginning of a great cruise? :scared1:

You are a beautiful family. So enjoying your report. I would be so overwhelmed walking into the ship. It's neat that they have characters out and about like that. Do they have photopass on the ship like in the parks?

You are a beautiful family. So enjoying your report. I would be so overwhelmed walking into the ship. It's neat that they have characters out and about like that. Do they have photopass on the ship like in the parks?

Thank you. :) I was overwhelmed and so out of my element. I literally lost our room this night. It was more like my mind. I have a really dumb moment with all that. It will be in my next post. There are a lot of characters out the entire cruise with stated times on the navigator they give you. I think that may have been the only characters we did as the lines were long with little children and Jeremy wouldn't have no part of that.

Yes, they have something like photopass. However, you don't go back home and view the pictures. They pre-print them for you and you can buy them on the ship (VERY EXPENSIVE!). There is a place called Shutters on the dream and you have a folder with all your photos in it. I think there was a CD option. We only had 3 pictures taken on the ship. Two of them weren't any good so we only got the boarding one. It was $20 for an 8X10. I think there may have been packages too but not sure. It was mayhem the last night to just look at them so I was ready to get out of there.

I want to go on a Disney Cruise!!! It looks so awesome!!!

I love what you said about how you got tears in your eyes as you glanced at your son.. I feel the same way alot of times girl.. This last time that we were at MK, watching the parade and my oldest was just lit up with happiness on his daddy's shoulders and kept kissing him on the head, thats what it's all about... ;)

I want to go on a Disney Cruise!!! It looks so awesome!!!

I love what you said about how you got tears in your eyes as you glanced at your son.. I feel the same way alot of times girl.. This last time that we were at MK, watching the parade and my oldest was just lit up with happiness on his daddy's shoulders and kept kissing him on the head, thats what it's all about... ;)

:thumbsup2I totally agree. I love the feeling that Disney invokes in me. Such a happy place to be with your family.

I loved the cruise. Really hoping to do another one in 2014.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter