It’s JUST a Marathon! WDW Marathon Weekend 2019 Trip Report

Ahh! Look at that picture of us! :lovestruc

I was SO glad to chat with you and Bree before the race- I was probably rambling, but we'll blame that on the nerves ;)

Your castle shot is great! All of your pictures are! I loved seeing you guys on the course too. I'm not sure if I told you, but I saw you going into WWoS and literally screamed your name several times, but you didn't hear me. The people around me thought I was crazy...#truth

Can't wait to read about the big FINISH!

Oh, I had no idea Captain Hook was out, I didn't see him at all.

After we met the donkey,
I tried to stand behind my llama or whatever it was and the CM was like no you can't, and moved around so you see more of her than the animal. I as annoyed as it wasted time too. She said I couldn't stand behind the animals but I keep seeing all these photos with runners behind them later.

Great photos!

The EE ride looks like the best DisMeet ever!
Your jump shots turned out well!
It really was the best meet up! And thanks! I don't know why I love jumping when I see those photo people, but I do!

Great pictures! I have yet to ride EE during the marathon, just didn't time it right - next time!
Next time I might try for Tower of Terror instead!

You got some great pictures. That's awesome you guys were front of the line for EE.
Thanks!

Ahh! Look at that picture of us! :lovestruc

I was SO glad to chat with you and Bree before the race- I was probably rambling, but we'll blame that on the nerves ;)

Your castle shot is great! All of your pictures are! I loved seeing you guys on the course too. I'm not sure if I told you, but I saw you going into WWoS and literally screamed your name several times, but you didn't hear me. The people around me thought I was crazy...#truth

Can't wait to read about the big FINISH!
I'm sad the lighting was so bad for our picture but I still love it! :)
Sorry I made you seem like a crazy person, haha. I was well on my way to wanting to die by then, I'm sure.

Looks like you are having a great time! Love all the pictures.
Thank you!

I tried to stand behind my llama or whatever it was and the CM was like no you can't, and moved around so you see more of her than the animal. I as annoyed as it wasted time too. She said I couldn't stand behind the animals but I keep seeing all these photos with runners behind them later.
That's really weird. I didn't even want a picture with the donkey, TBH. I just wanted to pet his head but they made me get in line for that. Luckily it was short.

I was too nervous to slow down and wait to ride EE when I did Dopey in 2016.

I was certain that my legs would seize and I would have to be dragged the rest of the way :stitch2:

Your trip report is making me want to run it again though!

Great beginning to the race and it was so fun to see you on the course. I was so jealous when you guys started sending messages that you were waiting on EE. We were 5-10 minutes behind you at that point and I was wishing we'd have pushed a bit harder to be at EE at park open. But, I really hadn't planned on riding it this year since Chris ends up waiting for me. Love all your pictures!!

I almost did TOT last year, but I was so hungry that I decided I just wanted to hurry up and get to Epcot for a beer.
I acquired so many snacks during the full somehow. But I could definitely see me being ready for a beer by the time I got to ToT...

Great race photos! How amazing that you were all able to ride EE together - and the first ride of the day too!
Thanks! I was so happy it worked out that way.

Bucket list! I would love to be able to ride EE during my first marathon...you know, if I ever run one!
Well, if you ever do WDW Marathon is the best first Marathon ever!

I was too nervous to slow down and wait to ride EE when I did Dopey in 2016.

I was certain that my legs would seize and I would have to be dragged the rest of the way :stitch2:

Your trip report is making me want to run it again though!
A lot of people said that they were afraid that their legs would seize up, but the ride really just gave me an adrenaline boost!

Great beginning to the race and it was so fun to see you on the course. I was so jealous when you guys started sending messages that you were waiting on EE. We were 5-10 minutes behind you at that point and I was wishing we'd have pushed a bit harder to be at EE at park open. But, I really hadn't planned on riding it this year since Chris ends up waiting for me. Love all your pictures!!
You were with us in spirit, for sure. <3

I've been lurking along.. I am not a runner anymore, but the Disney races look like so much fun. Congrats to you!

I didn’t even get a picture of this Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich because I enjoyed every dang second of it as I slowly walked around and laughed to myself at all these other parents who were clearly annoyed with their children at the Happiest Place on the Planet. Suckerssss.

OMG I was one of those parents. We had a lot of TALKS with the kids and a lot of this face:

DeepChillyBighorn-size_restricted.gif

After we got back, I told my 6 year old I'm going to disney world again without them and he cried. :confused3 Sorry kid, stop being such a drag if you don't like it.

I've been lurking along.. I am not a runner anymore, but the Disney races look like so much fun. Congrats to you!

OMG I was one of those parents. We had a lot of TALKS with the kids and a lot of this face:

DeepChillyBighorn-size_restricted.gif

After we got back, I told my 6 year old I'm going to disney world again without them and he cried. :confused3 Sorry kid, stop being such a drag if you don't like it.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

My 6 year old is coming back with me in November for Wine & Dine. She will be 7 then, but still. I know my experience will not be as magical as it was when I was solo.

My 6 year old is coming back with me in November for Wine & Dine. She will be 7 then, but still. I know my experience will not be as magical as it was when I was solo.

I left my three kids and husband at home and I had so much fun. Not that it’s not fun taking your kids, it’s just a different experience being there solo. Before I left was husband, was like “what are you gonna do down there the whole time....” and I quickly replied “whatever I want!”

I had to laugh when I read the title. Three years ago, when DH ran the Dopey, several runners were sitting around in the hot tub in the afternoon, mostly Dopey runners. One girl, who was solo was asked what she was running-"Well, I'm not much of a runner-I'm just doing the half marathon." Poor girl was a little intimidated, but they all told her "if you can run a half-marathon, you ARE a runner!"

As I told DH I was going and had booked MYSELF a room, he and my children decided to come as well. I am giving myself silent pep talks that it will be different and fun while telling them how boring it will be. So, will it still be magical?

THE MARATHON - Cheerleader Minnie (Part Two)

Let’s see where were we… Oh yes, just leaving Animal Kingdom, two parks down, WWoS and two parks to go! On our way out of AK, @Bree and I made a bathroom break because we wanted to use a “real” bathroom. Well, it was nice and all but smelled just like a porta potty, so that was cool. Anyway, moving on...

This section as we were leaving AK was definitely in the top 5 favorite parts of the race for me. Dear people who were hanging out in the AK parking lot handing out snacks, YOU ARE THE REAL MVPs. I had pretzels and goldfish and candy and a freaking JELLO SHOT. Yes. Thank you. Love you.

R2PXn-t--VnJXw_yH9FmBVYLcCf-EuRIO8D9RSVKcJ27wp4XOFcdwr_JiV5swJ_l2sYrANzEjv84-fNmsCMIzIToF5sfBTYdQqRTvh5icvETJMuPa47NcTfSuzBvXdpAqxHqHIe0Yw=w500

Then I died and came back as a ghost who still had to finish a Marathon. Rude.

iWIBoVu7KHhdfsdWVnY2SIc5mlogpNVhD4ZXQ3m9NZuiMVQK5hlyyjeJheZPffeGEa0Mb1sljcLcOyl3zkdpNYGu6t9t5AleO-_DQ4jGYhQPGKR2JnHPKKQSk6yuCKgY1BYgINFekg=w750

So now we were on our way to the Wide World of Sports, which everyone says is the worst part. Let me tell you the actual worst park: any time you are on a freeway and not in a Disney property…

Fun fact: at the VERY start of the race, I dropped my sunglasses and they were gone forever. RIP.
Un-fun fact: IT WAS SO SUNNY THE WHOLE LAST HALF OF THE MARATHON AND I WISH I HAD MY SUNNIES. :(

We ran by the McDonald’s that McFlurry John frequents and as tempting as that sounded if I went into that McDonald’s there would have been no way I would have left. Nope.

We make it to Pluto who had found some dinosaur bones. I had to stop for him!

_pO-Rh_mWw1uE7fT4lpFDU4j7rLRDYW-1pS4TKEI-5EuJ2ru4eAsICGTgxTufKWyxltQG5TcmJyJIiCAV3T-VDZohShKOdmGHAx5iN4LR7cD1y4pcMu5ct_JKvi9jMzz74uWgfbM8w=w750

Then we made our way into the WWoS where we were greeted with a wet sponge that I stupidly didn’t keep with me even though someone in the group chat was like “KEEP THAT SH*T”.

At this point I could see the dreaded “WALL” and knew I was gonna hit it STRAIGHT ON. My legs couldn’t leg anymore. It was hot. I was blinded by the sun. And Bree looked AMAZING. I felt really bad that I was slowing her down…

BUT ALSO, I knew Minnie was coming up and I was so excited to show her my outfit! Aaaand she loved it!

Mce7mQ0uSVpXbLABNHwowOXc8oySujdsNAYidcYWMnbdjMyu5rOUpCGZQxWqkz9k1mIMo9R2lvO5E-KyaLsKSI2ERitpEEx8XM30TYa_AArw4NbOa4ABpN7eTEbs9oYmz33wiozwDw=w500

That helped pump me up a bit and we powered through and got pictures with everyone!

xAk_vpvJIAPtrlo9Em513C_HvwVq2f-4wiQLbI25PZombtaFn8Saoact1vZaPyy-gLRy8b2btE86K8WTeF3INQwS_irdbs6IHsoT8hTLvz5VNHMXAKmxMtyqDaRD5QMjkvXS3W9HEg=w500

Pc17CJ50buikXpiEok9O3QtF6mFlu8qxw1DxgfOm7_6SmAzgzPxzaeEsWJX6Hx27nrR59E2VhHlmIbcUH54y4SnkMN_k0JQZGLMHH032rS6IlshLscRkItCkvZHlWY5jHKmZQhXZHQ=w750

iim4gU9Mg73N6GQJoGXho7Y0B_z6kjAsvyHgLq2KcBUgMMEp8qBaJBmo_pjEZbPJzxU_wDIS270GesATbshJkJ5TYf2F3Z6B27kGi0D6YCy0PFaXsYeaM_Unjo1Lxg0qmbbPTf1sDg=w750

I loved running through the little Stadium that was there. The cheerleaders in the stands saw me and went wild! It was super fun!

q5GSoTD3re29f1PNbucTryA7-beiZ471rAUg0tT9j7Pp83emjf5kJ17rxXKj7sPeJVNWup8B78TZHuAzNDQwD_DGsxmq_Qtzn0GciSutefA8sorAJNvhkxeZif-YwfDqyAobtGS6Gw=w500

There was some walking and some running going on at this point. But we were out of WWoS and on our way to Hollywood Studios. As we were right in front of the DJ booth at WWoS where he tells the people coming in they are at mile 17.5 and the people leaving they are at mile 21.something, We saw the Balloon Ladies going in! So we knew we were fine and wouldn’t have to worry but it was still surreal.

By now, I have hit the wall and was reflecting on all of my life choices up to this point.

KlbRedKSo-2gBrztAs448Iog5d8DuLCPS3yHLlw9jNZQg6PdiarOs5-_7u_i7-0rWaTpyCQZJOVeDDeO87NPJNdwK6sR_9CzDHFf4vsOJiax312f8f6wzdsyjKPD243ixajZ2KBttg=w500

My emotions were running high. I was not. There was a lot of walking on my part and Bree was just such a sweet person to have shared this experience with. My legs couldn’t move faster than a slow jog when I was “running” so she would run ahead and then wait or come back for me. We got to Sarge’s Hill of Death and Desolation and I ran up that thing because I was already feeling defeated and knew I couldn’t let Sarge win. So I ran up it. Like a turtle. But I ran.

The highway between that hill and Hollywood Studios was hot and barren and they were playing “Sweet Caroline” on a loop. W T F. That was my actual hell. But some guy asked me to say a cheer for him, so I did! I said something that I cannot remember and I gave my Poms a shake. I think I needed that just as much as he did, thanks guy.

FINALLY we get to HS! Yay! A Park! People! Excitement! I found a small will to live and I even look like I might be having fun 23 miles into a Marathon!

BmVig_vOFjmDR5hSqpcj8yEa8k_5oIE5vEuOIxbtXY4CuJ1hOz2YXiauoujgUPogXE0tJwstB4wn1Vwk-fO7VEcJgJGIp3Jm5HXfyatAIGiR_HnphyKh1KAIeMZ8_NoJa7FTEv-Hdg=w500

On our way from HS to the Boardwalk we see @mrsg00fy and give her the BIGGEST hug ever of my life and then it starts. The tears. I hold back what I can and take the strength that Monica gave me to get through the end of this thing!

Then we make our way across the Boardwalk and see One & Two, who ordered me my beer a few minutes too late. We stole some of their water and left because at this point I just wanted to be done. (RIP Beer, hope someone drank you!)

I shuffled along and we get to Epcot, the final park of this journey! At this point, Bree still looked SO AMAZING. And she would run ahead and then come back and find me when she couldn’t hear my Poms anymore. (Seriously, best running partner ever!!!) We were so close. I was so done. Emotionally, physically. Then, in true Epcot fashion, they were playing the most emotion filled songs and the tears swelled and I kept going… I feel like @croach had text me at this point and asked if I was doing okay. I didn’t reply but I definitely appreciated that check in.

JICjNX5y3Uae2ua-AB6n8LqzgqM8eKUJBZbA_XbXI_B-cW-pdFq5sCFSS0kIw7IISfKrOHW27CnS7j86hYANPz85UcGco2O-6UJx9QkR-gs2EGz9Zq_UG5ZexswwSt2CS00uCC8DXA=w500

As we passed SSE I heard someone yell “GO JENNA!!” and it was @camaker! I was still getting a lot of cheers for my outfit and with all the people in Epcot it was a much needed boost. We get to the choir and see the mile 26 marker (the only one I wanted a picture of)! WE WERE ALMOST THERE!!!

B6cdJZ0PFe1QKevZx7E0_scRvgvmy0K5XG3O84teXZl_0ZA65k9M_ggIrNFTdIQ47tlpN_tYAk0a3K2ATpY1ONqU_ygD7gsaoBUn45rwmnIjTJRVKmkqyCawySijkneXvXx3j33J2A=w500

And then we turned the corner. I see Rudy and he gives me a cheer. I see the crowds of people. I see the finish line. The end was near and I did it and I didn’t die and I effing DID IT. I am a Marathoner and a Dopey finisher!!!

Sy3ZqS_V1z9cgvPW7w8RFFr_ztxcNp_tgF6WC5BMDp6qexTgURlsSUKMhHQVqDEYE5YenG9Ne1KkzLxeuUtAW55ifzt68upsqV9EKd9BrPZsOXv05SYBSFNspeKaT7EdPpSvsSYoTw=w500

37FVDCjwBFkZSEuaDdSY07KfoPTCoIRrJRVLNNQYmmqUpt534toJiWAKRFzKsD0V7yVZIahAphzTDojHvsV1yIYFm_UmMzksL_azkYiBCrTqUZayc2xHTsLS48-zRo1DyU7BVWSjEA=w750

And just like I knew I would, I broke down. I grabbed Bree and gave her a huge hug. I literally would not have done it without her. And I cried. Because I made the impossible, possible.

CUZ7Y2QXAiLNvYNDAcs47zeK0CjzDZONvyPO7a1TMCUXlinCcagW_JIwu2cThM9z2XJwQuGs9TnjdzCnSwSFHw-4sR9KcgdL2uBPy1lTacGT1TNDaLP9nUvIWE54ulItOE8uBQgCHg=w500

BwBS0FAXi1jiLfSywafGimQPk8e17E4SMjSxrO0lReOMnJpvWUZZvZXox5gWyDxUc4D5AtZpnmAWxI7CUvLjJkq6JWRjEvFoqSdcePh2H2hgjxR-RJCWyyrYU_GdXnug2-xxuh97Rg=w500

I made my way through the finisher chute and to the beer tent where Cliff and @rteetz were waiting. Ryan sees me and throws his arms open in celebration and I give him a huge hug and cry again. (I am sure he regrets doing that so much, hahahaha. #EmotionalSupportPanda) Then I drank a bunch of beers.

Mgygc-o4RgUxS3YWkfpC9RQhCD8D_sgiN-bTtR7lJ-XKPon7XKkaTYStSXR4ejN4I3RwLpJrIdr2jxbFfjqPnAz7ddRUcuFbqMKZ4hz53d-7S8xJERydi79-Bth92xfIUC_HJkYE6g=w500

So many emotions and I couldn’t have had a better group of people to share this experience with. The Disboards gave me this group of people who are like family to me now and I will forever be thankful. <3

WHEW. Okay… I think that sums up the race.

Up next: non-running related things!

Last edited:
Congratulations!! So proud of you for pushing through, what an emotional experience! Ready for the next one?? :)

Yay! Thank you for being so honest with your emotions. Makes it all the more real.

You did it! You are amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter