Is U-Haul the cheapest way to move cross country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I'm doing (sort of). I'm moving from Oregon to Alaska in a couple of weeks. I downsized from a three bedroom house full of furniture to 4 boxes that I mailed to myself Parcel Post and what can fit in my corolla. I figure with Craigslist, I can refurnish my house up there for far less than it would have cost to take a moving van through Canada.

Buying from craigslist is cheap as long as you don't find out the stuff is infested with bugs like bedbugs or roaches because then you need to add the extermination bill. YUCK!!!

Uhaul is probably the cheapest, but it's also the most work, which you may want to keep in mind if your family member is moving a long distance. You have to take into account how much time will be spent driving, food costs, lodging if it's a multiple day trip. etc. My husband and I have done the move ourselves for in town moves, but when we moved 1,200 miles away, we thought better of it and hired movers. For what it's worth, this is the company we used Three Men and a Truck and they were very easy to deal with, which I can't say of some other movers I've heard about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter