Is this a printer cord?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by kimblebee, Aug 10, 2018.

1. kimblebee

kimblebee now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

F80E892E-6ABF-489B-95B7-42002F53C189.jpeg

I just found this cord and have no idea what it’s from. To me, it looks like a printer cord but I could be wrong.

2. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

It could be, but that's not too typical for a small, home printer. It looks more like a cord for the computer itself, or a monitor. The voltage is on it, so it is compatible with anything that uses that.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. kimblebee

Thanks for the quick reply. I just switched from one job to another and I had to return all the equipment. I’m thinking I forgot to return this cord and that’s why I’m being charged $300 for it..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. lynxstch

lynxstch I Love Figment

Doesn't look like any printer cord I've ever seen!

6. JaxDad

JaxDad DIS Veteran

It looks like a monitor power cord.

7. kimblebee

I definitely think you’re right. *sigh*
    Not like I needed that $300 or anything..

8. richmo

richmo DIS Veteran

That's just a standard power cord that you'll find with most Windows desktops and many monitors, possibly even some printers. I probably threw out several just like it because I had too many.

marlynnp and TheConsciousness like this.
  9. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

Exactly. We have boxes of them at work. It's a standard power cord for a LOT of electronics. Monitors, computers, TVs, printers, etc. They are interchangeable as long as the equipment has the correct socket. So just because it came with your monitor (for example) doesn't mean you can't use it on your computer.

richmo likes this.
  10. Imzadi

Imzadi ♥ Saved by an angel in a trench coat!

Go to the printer's website and order another cord. Or find one that fits it (same amps & voltage,) at Amazon or eBay for $25 and return that one. Make sure, if you order one from those 2 places that you order an "OEM" cord. OEM means original equipment manufacturer. So if your printer is from HP, you get an HP replacement. Or make sure the cord you do get has no name on it, so it doesn't match. As PP said, cords are pretty standard if the plugs fit and the amps are correct.

Most likely you accidentally bundled up the printer cord with the monitor. Now the monitor doesn't have the right cable either. :headache:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  11. kimblebee

No, I still have all my printer cords. I was just guessing that it was an extra one. More than likely it belongs with all the other equipment I sent back. Once they get it they’ll release the rest of my money. Ridiculous they’re charging $300 for it.

12. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

Especially for a cord that retails for $3 to $10. It's costing them more to ask you to return it than to just buy a new one.

kimblebee likes this.
  13. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

OMG. If a company is charging $300 for THAT cable, you are better off gone. Or are they saying you didn't send in a "printer cable" and you'll have to pay $300? If the printer is ancient, that might be true, but anything recent is either going to be a USB cable, an Ethernet cable, or a Power cable, all should be available for <$10.

ETA: Can you ask them WHAT printer cable? We can probably even help you find the right one and you can go on Amazon or a local big box and find one for a lot cheaper than $300.

14. kimblebee

I didn’t have a printer to return..I just assumed that’s what it was. I’ll just throw it in a padded envelope and send it off to them. Or, have them send me a shipping label so I know it’s been delivered. Either way, it’s a pain in the butt. I wish I had noticed it last week when I was packing up the box.

15. Floridaman999

Floridaman999 Livin' the life

Did they actually specify that there was a cable missing that costs $300?

16. kimblebee

No, I’m just guessing that’s what it was. My bank deposit was about 250-300 less than I was told I was getting and the missing cable is the only thing I can think of. I emailed someone and am waiting to hear back.

Floridaman999 likes this.
  17. Imzadi

Imzadi ♥ Saved by an angel in a trench coat!

First, make sure that is what the $300 charge is for. Second, make sure it is the right cable. They probably won't give you a second chance to make it right. They'll assume you don't have the right cable and just charge you.

18. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

Agreed.

I'm really not understanding this. If I have this right, OP's bank deposit was 250-300 less than what she expected. She found an extra cable (power cord) in a box and assumed that was why they withheld the money. She's ready to send it back. Do I have all that right? Seems like a strange leap to make.

19. Floridaman999

Floridaman999 Livin' the life

Well, if it is the cable and they want to charge you $300 for it, I can't even imagine how a standard cable of any sort could cost that much.

20. kimblebee

Why is that such a strange leap? The cord was actually on a chair in my room. It’s not one of mine because it was in a plastic bag (the same kind the rest of the cords were sent in). I’m not sending it back until I confirm with someone that it’s the reason for the holdup. It’s not like I’m adding 1+1 and coming up with cat.

kingagdar likes this.
  21. marlynnp

marlynnp No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuever

Do you really think that cord is worth $250-$300? That's the leap.