Is this a new Christmas trend on gift giving ?

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
A few of my local Facebook groups for moms have been talking about gifts.
The majority said that they follow the 4 gift rule. 1 gift that is a want , 1 that's a need, 1 something to wear and 1 something to read.

I have never heard of this before.

It's been popular for awhile now and we do a version of this. We add something to eat category...lol and with an only child, she gets a couple of things for each. I wish i had heard about it when my daughter was younger, sometimes I went over board because I just would buy to buy...i like having the catergories

Pshhh... it's Christmas. I buy DD whatever I want to give her. Oftentimes it's "exciting" things like socks and underwear, but if that's what she needs and I'd be buying them for her anyway, why not wrap it as a present? It's always more fun to give them as gifts and watch the pile grow under the tree!

I’ve heard of it but we don’t follow it. We set an amount of money to spend for each kid. They don’t get gifts from anyone else except my mom so we go more overboard than we would otherwise.

I've never heard of that. I follow what the poster before me does--set a budget for each child, and stop when I meet it.

I tried it a couple of years ago but afterwards all I got was grief for not having many gifts for everyone.

So I went back to the old ways of having more gifts even if some of them are things like a fancy chocolate bar or fancy popcorn or their favorite cookies that nobody else likes so I don't make usually.

Ugh, yes. It's popular among mothers of younger children, they also tell grandparents to follow this guideline for their children. I kinda find it annoying, personally. I don't need categories to buy presents...I just buy them. But I know a lot of people like it. No kids yet, so maybe that'll change when I have them (probably not lol)

It seems pinterest-y to me, which might be why I find it so annoying...

When I was a kid we got 3 gifts from Santa and that was it. The only wrapped presents under the tree were from relatives or something we kids might have made for Mama and Daddy. Our 3 gifts were usually one we asked for and the other two whatever our parents thought we needed. We were very poor so Mama and Daddy didn't get each other anything. When my son was a kid I would let him pick 3 things from Santa and then I'd wrap the other stuff I bought him and that would depend on my finances that year. I was a single mom so sometimes it was things like clothes. He got at least one book for every holiday, a book in his Easter basket, a book in his Halloween bag, a book for his birthday from me and usually my Mama as well. By the time he came around all my siblings were out of the house and Daddy worked overseas so money was good for my parents and my son was the only grandkid local so he got spoiled rotten. Now that he is grown and out of the house, honey and I don't exchange gifts at all except one silly something to have under the tree and we get my son one expensive thing. We stopped exchanging gifts with family a few years ago when it became apparent I was doing all the giving. They would give us things we would have to just turn around and take to goodwill so we told them to just donate something to charity for us. We are literally that couple who has everything they need or want. Heck, the silly gift I got honey this year was an adult onsie with feet and I got so excited about it I already gave it to him. Now I have to figure something else to go under the tree.

I've heard of it fairly recently. Not a tradition in my family, although I'd say we almost always get at least one item in each of the categories.

I also know of families who give each child three gifts (no more, no less) to symbolize the gifts from the three wise men/kings to Jesus (gold, frankincense, and myrrh).

Ugh, yes. It's popular among mothers of younger children, they also tell grandparents to follow this guideline for their children. I kinda find it annoying, personally. I don't need categories to buy presents...I just buy them. But I know a lot of people like it. No kids yet, so maybe that'll change when I have them (probably not lol)

It seems pinterest-y to me, which might be why I find it so annoying...

It seemed popular with what we used to call "crunchy" moms.

I buy what I want for whom I want. I don't worry about how many each person receives.

We did, when our son was little, have Santa bring 3 gifts. Everything else was from Mom and Dad.

I get it, every family does their thing, it just amazes me at the generosity that some families have over a calendar date.

It can be difficult during the holidays if one's family doesn't participate in gift-giving, whereas the vast majority of society does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter