Is there any way that a patient in a rehab therapy hospital can opt out of treatment fast?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Since yesterday my mom and I have been having a big feud with the rehab clinic where Dad is getting his therapy and I would like to ask if anyone knows what Mom and I will need to do? You see on Friday Dad called us saying that he is very antsy and wishes he could go home because according to what Dad told us they gave him cold food gave Dad a cold shower which resulted in him getting a little cold on Saturday. Dad is over the cold but the only thing he has left is the sniffles and this morning Mom and I got a scary call saying that Dad was "showing signs of pueumonia" and they wanted to take him back to the hospital but when we called Dad's doctor the doctor said he was fine and we even talked to Dad and Dad was cheerful and fine. Dad is also being ignored and whenever we try to call Dad from his hospital room it's impossible to do and we have to call the nurses station for nurses to bring him things and food. Dad is VERY unhappy and wants to come home so bad and so we tried to call his surgeon and he told us that Dad cannot come home yet because they still want to do more therapy on him. Mom and I don't want to keep Dad there any longer because he's healthy and we don't want to take a chance on him being really sick
When a patient is in rehab for so long is there a way to opt out of rehab and just be sent directly home and also if Dad was to come home from rehab could he still get his therapy at home as well?
Any advice is welcome,
Dodger

You can call the rehab hospital. Ask if there is a patient advocate (or similar) on staff. If not, or if they are not able to help your situation, then call your dad's surgeon's office - presumably, the surgeon is the one who recommended him to the rehab hospital.

If there is no one at the rehab hospital to talk to, and no one at the surgeons office will respond (ask to speak to the surgeons nurse or PA (physician's assistant) or an insurance coordinator) then you can also call the insurance company that covers your dad's care, and talk to them. Don't be surprised if any or all of them tell you that your dad really needs to stay, and complete his course of care.

It's VERY important to remember that unless your dad gave them specific instructions about talking to you, or your mom, that these people may not be allowed to discuss the specifics of his care or condition with you. That's because of laws governing the privacy of patients and their medical information.

In the meantime, you can help by reminding your dad that the sooner he participates in his physical therapy, the sooner he can go home. It sounds like one (or more) of his doctors is/are concerned that if he goes straight home, he could have a less-than-desired outcome without direct intervention from the rehab hospital. In other words, if he goes home now, it could mess up everything that the surgery tried to fix.

There may be other facilities that he could be moved to, and stay at; Rehab hospitals are often favored by a patient's insurance because they typically have a lower cost per day. They are favored by doctors because patients continue to receive a higher level of care than they might in an outpatient situation (at home). Your family needs to consult with the surgeon first, before moving him - there may be a very specific reason why your dad is at that particular rehab hospital. (like they have someone on staff who works with people who have had foot surgery specifically)

But honestly, the fastest way out of this is for your dad to be a big boy, and do his physical therapy, cooperate with the nurses and doctors, and show them that he is ready to go home and be self-sufficient. He also should be aware that even once he is home, he might have visits from Home Health (or a similar service) that will come to check on his progress at home, and can even administer physical therapy at home. Additionally, he will quite possibly have outpatient physical therapy once he is home, where he will go to a PT center or office anywhere from 1 to 3 times a week, for about an hour at a time.

No one likes being in the hospital; you are not in your own home, your own comfortable surroundings. There are people telling you what you can and can't eat, you often can't wear your own clothes, you don't have any say in your schedule, your meals or often even when you can shower and do other self-care. But it's not meant to be a vacation - when someone is in the hospital (whether it is a "regular" or a "rehab" hospital) it's because they need direct medical care by experienced professionals.

You can help your dad the most by encouraging him to keep working with the hospital staff where he is. I know that you and your mom miss him, and want him home; that is very evident. But your focus right now should be helping your dad get better, not trying to bring him home before his treatment is complete, or before he is medically ready. Be cheerful and supportive; bring him books or magazines, or even an iPad, a GameBoy or a Switch, or some other things that he can help pass the time with. Encourage him to be interested and involved in his own care, and keep the focus - for him, your mom, and you - on his recovery.

You can also try to politely work with the nursing and administrative staff at the rehab hospital, and explain some of your family's (and your dad's) concerns to them. They may have some solutions that could help your entire family be more comfortable. They can't fix something if you don't tell them about why it is a problem.

Your dad has already gotten over a couple of major hurdles. He had the surgery, and now he is healthy enough to be transferred to a rehab hospital. That's really good news. The fastest way to get him home from this point is to be focused on helping him do whatever he is supposed to do to get well enough to come home.

Since yesterday my mom and I have been having a big feud with the rehab clinic where Dad is getting his therapy and I would like to ask if anyone knows what Mom and I will need to do? You see on Friday Dad called us saying that he is very antsy and wishes he could go home because according to what Dad told us they gave him cold food gave Dad a cold shower which resulted in him getting a little cold on Saturday. Dad is over the cold but the only thing he has left is the sniffles and this morning Mom and I got a scary call saying that Dad was "showing signs of pueumonia" and they wanted to take him back to the hospital but when we called Dad's doctor the doctor said he was fine and we even talked to Dad and Dad was cheerful and fine. Dad is also being ignored and whenever we try to call Dad from his hospital room it's impossible to do and we have to call the nurses station for nurses to bring him things and food. Dad is VERY unhappy and wants to come home so bad and so we tried to call his surgeon and he told us that Dad cannot come home yet because they still want to do more therapy on him. Mom and I don't want to keep Dad there any longer because he's healthy and we don't want to take a chance on him being really sick
When a patient is in rehab for so long is there a way to opt out of rehab and just be sent directly home and also if Dad was to come home from rehab could he still get his therapy at home as well?
Any advice is welcome,
Dodger
Your dad needs to do his PT - that's the only way he should come home. And he hasn't been there that long, has he? A few days? A week? Rehab can take weeks if the patient isn't 100% into doing what needs to be done. You don't want to rush him out of there!

You also need to be careful that you are not exacerbating the situation by feeding into how "bad" it is at rehab. It's not a hotel, it's a medical facility that probably is short-staffed and they are doing the best they can in a tricky situation. Let them do their job, praise your dad on how well he is doing, and take a deep breath and relax.

Good advice above. It’s hard — you miss him and he misses home, but you also said you/mom called and he was cheerful and fine. I'm sure he gripes a bit and wants to get home, misses familiar foods, misses you - but try not to read into that as the facility being "bad." If you call and he's not in his room, that's probably because he's up and about doing his physical therapy. Don't get upset, just leave a message with the nurses' desk. It's good that he's spending so much time out of bed away from his room.

I know you mentioned the hospital had covid policies in place restricting visitation. If this place is similar meaning you can't visit, maybe you can pack up a box of some things from home - a blanket, some books, his own sweatpants and sweatshirts, maybe a family picture, etc. Call the nurses' desk and ask if the box can be dropped at the front desk for him and what would be a good time to do so.

Encourage him to do the rehab. That's the best way to get discharged quicker. And hugs to you and your mom - I know you miss him so very much! :grouphug:

I don't know a lot about the American medical system because it's so very different than ours (Canada) I don't think we even have rehab hospitals here...there would just be a rehab floor in a general hospital.... is there such a thing as out patient rehab where you live? if that is an option surely the doctors would allow that if they thought he could handle it. If he has to stay in hospital he must need intensive therapy, you don't give many details on what kind of surgery he had (which of course is your right to keep private) but I'm guessing it was extensive if he's still in hospital.

I'm a healthcare worker and I can tell you that the pandemic has rattled the entire healthcare system. cold showers and cold food are not acceptable but I can assure you most people in the medical field are in them because they genuinely care and want to take care of people, they are probably severely understaffed and lacking the resources they need to provide top notch care. I know you mentioned before you can't visit because of covid, I would do as a previous poster suggested and find out if a care package can be dropped off. Better days ahead Dodger

My mom and I talked to Dad this morning and what he told us is that the hospital did not choose for him to enter the rehab hospital and then to top it all off the hospital didn't even offer Dad the option of rehab or therapy at home and they just put Dad in there and he's been there since last Wednesday but he didn't get the cold and sniffles until Saturday. But Mom talked to Dad's case worker and the closest date we have gotten so far when Dad will get home is the 16th? But they are giving him medicine for his sniffles but they are gonna order a wheelchair for Dad to use at home. But we are still trying to get Dad home earlier than the 16th
Dodger

My mom and I talked to Dad this morning and what he told us is that the hospital did not choose for him to enter the rehab hospital and then to top it all off the hospital didn't even offer Dad the option of rehab or therapy at home and they just put Dad in there and he's been there since last Wednesday but he didn't get the cold and sniffles until Saturday. But Mom talked to Dad's case worker and the closest date we have gotten so far when Dad will get home is the 16th? But they are giving him medicine for his sniffles but they are gonna order a wheelchair for Dad to use at home. But we are still trying to get Dad home earlier than the 16th
Dodger
There might not be an option for rehab at home - healthworkers have been exhausted by COVID, and it's nearly impossible to get certain services now outside of a medical facility.

Having the "sniffles" - a cold, you mean? Are they concerned about it becoming something else?

Hang in there - 4 more days, you can do it! :)

I don't know a lot about the American medical system because it's so very different than ours (Canada) I don't think we even have rehab hospitals here...there would just be a rehab floor in a general hospital.... is there such a thing as out patient rehab where you live? if that is an option surely the doctors would allow that if they thought he could handle it. If he has to stay in hospital he must need intensive therapy, you don't give many details on what kind of surgery he had (which of course is your right to keep private) but I'm guessing it was extensive if he's still in hospital.

I'm a healthcare worker and I can tell you that the pandemic has rattled the entire healthcare system. cold showers and cold food are not acceptable but I can assure you most people in the medical field are in them because they genuinely care and want to take care of people, they are probably severely understaffed and lacking the resources they need to provide top notch care. I know you mentioned before you can't visit because of covid, I would do as a previous poster suggested and find out if a care package can be dropped off. Better days ahead Dodger
I am an RN in the US and the hospital I’ve been associated with was a Rehab hospital.
Regular Acute Care hospitals in the US do have a Therapy/Rehab Department, but the type of rehab they do is usually very short term for patients who only need a short period of rehab.

Patients who need longer term therapy OR who need either intensive therapy or need special equipment are usually going to be discharged to a Rehab Hospital/Center to get the therapy they need. Our patients had multiple therapy sessions per day, so were often not in their rooms when family called. For the OP - they should be able to tell you his therapy schedule so you would know when he would not be in his room for therapy.
Outpatient therapy is available in the US, BUT it’s more used for patients who only need one session every few days and have family who can transport them. Home therapy can be done sometimes, but really depends on what the person needs and whether the equipment is available at home and the therapy can be safely and effectively done at home.

I am an RN in the US and the hospital I’ve been associated with was a Rehab hospital.
Regular Acute Care hospitals in the US do have a Therapy/Rehab Department, but the type of rehab they do is usually very short term for patients who only need a short period of rehab.

Patients who need longer term therapy OR who need either intensive therapy or need special equipment are usually going to be discharged to a Rehab Hospital/Center to get the therapy they need. Our patients had multiple therapy sessions per day, so were often not in their rooms when family called. For the OP - they should be able to tell you his therapy schedule so you would know when he would be in his room for therapy.
Outpatient therapy is available in the US, BUT it’s more used for patients who only need one session every few days and have family who can transport them. Home therapy can be done sometimes, but really depends on what the person needs and whether the equipment is available at home and the therapy can be safely and effectively done at home.
ahh very interesting, thanks for the explanation Sue!

Dodger
Just hang in there for 4 more days.
There is a disconnect and misunderstanding somewhere…
The doctor would have had to write discharge orders for him to be admitted to the Rehab Hospital. So, I don’t know where ‘the hospital did not choose for him to enter the rehab hospital ‘ idea came from. Being discharged to that hospital would have been part of his discharge plan from the hospital where his surgery was done.

It’s likely they did not offer him the option of rehab or therapy at home because those were not realistic options for him. The type of therapy done at home or outpatient is not as intensive as can be done as an inpatient. Depending on what the patient needs, it might not be effective or even safe to do at home.

In your first post, you said you talked to the doctor and he felt your dad could not come home yet because they want to do more therapy on him. I’d suggest talking with his Primary Nurse or the Social Worker to find out what his therapy goals are. He should have some goals that he needs to meet before he can be discharged. Encourage him to keep working on those so he can come home. I know he’d rather be home, but leaving before he’s ready my impede his recovery.

Hi @DodgerGirl He'll be home soon! I agree that someone doesn't just end up at a Rehab facility -- most likely his surgeon or someone on his care team at the first hospital "prescribed" the stay at Rehab because your dad needs intensive PT. Once he gets through those goals, he'll be discharged to home and likely referred to a local outpatient PT practice to go probably 1-3 times per week. I know our local PT places are swamped and can only offer limited appointments, so if your area is similar that may have fed into the surgeon's decision for Rehab first. PT at home is unlikely; it's usually offered through Home Health and their PT is even more limited (and in my experience unreliable because they are so understaffed).

It sounds like he's making good progress towards his goals if they are talking discharge on Monday. Use the weekend to get your house ready for him. You mentioned a wheelchair, which needs a slightly wider pathway -- you may need to shift furniture or remove an extra piece (maybe a chair or end table) from some rooms to give him the space he'll need. Be sure to have whatever they've recommended for the bathroom -- whether that's a shower chair, transfer bench, handrails in the shower and/or toilet, etc. I know my main floor bathroom would not be accessible to a wheelchair, so have your mom talk to his care team if there is any concern or questions.

Dad is finally home and my mom was able to talk to his doctor and they got him discharged this morning and we had to get the house ready for him and he came home tonight and he was so happy to see us and I nearly had tears in my eyes just seeing him but he still wants us to treat him like a king and he is very cheerful and happy with us now. I would like to thank everyone on here for the great help and advice for helping me and my mom through these difficult but easy two weeks and a big thank you to Lanejudy for the great advice and encouragement and kind words
Dodger

We do. Toronto Rehab, for example. Though not sure exactly how they work in comparison to the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter