is there an animal that can make a sound sort of like a crying baby?

Could be a female fox looking for a mate. It's a scary, horrible noise the first time you hear it. After that it's just annoying.:laughing:

Do you have any rabbits around in the area? Even though most people know rabbits to not make a sound, when they do, they sound like a crying baby. Usually they will only make this sound when being chased by a predator and running for their life.

thanks! someone did say they saw a fischercat around a few blocks away, but it has been about a year since we were talking about it. I'm in a suburb, but lots of woods and lakes around, so not really country but not really city. There are some regular cats in the neighborhood who are outdoor cats so wondering if it was one of them.

really so eerie, wish I could replay it now and listen again!
WHAAT? They have fisher cats in eastern ma? I live in eastern Ma and I never knew that. I do not even know what one looks like only that they spell trouble. I am going to google them.

thanks! someone did say they saw a fischercat around a few blocks away, but it has been about a year since we were talking about it. I'm in a suburb, but lots of woods and lakes around, so not really country but not really city. There are some regular cats in the neighborhood who are outdoor cats so wondering if it was one of them.

We live in a very similar type of neighborhood, not really city and not really country. A neighbor heard a cry/scream near a pond one night and called the police. Thankfully they didn't find anyone in trouble, but they did tell us that we have fishercats in the area and that they can sound like a child crying or screaming, so it is a possibility that you heard one.

WHAAT? They have fisher cats in eastern ma? I live in eastern Ma and I never knew that. I do not even know what one looks like only that they spell trouble. I am going to google them.

Yes they definately do! I couldn't figure out what they were, I saw some as roadkill and had to do some research. Then there was an article in the paper that said peoples house cats were dissapearing and they said the fisher cats were eating them. I don't live in Massachusetts anymore, but I lived on the coast, North of Boston.

CATS. Especially females in heat. We adopted a stray kitten, but we weren't sure how old she was. Turns out, before we could get her spayed, she went into heat. She woke us up one night, crying and crying. I thought it was a baby at first!! She was LOUD!!

Next door neighbor had a Amazon Green Parrot the kept in the garage. It would keep us up at night sounding like a crying baby.

After about the 4 night of that we were ready for BBQ parrot.

I bet it was a fox. My old house in NC was out in the country. I heard all types of animal noises, owls, bobcats, etc, but the worst was the fox screams.

dh and I woke up at around 1:30 this morning to the sound of what we thought was a crying infant, but then sort of took of a turn that made us realize it was NOT a baby. It was one distinct howl/sound that seemed to last for the length of one good waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrr, then silence. we are guessing it was in our backyard or not too far from it. am just curious if there is some sort of animal that might make a sound like that. anyone know?

Sounds like a Dogman! No joke! Check out Dogman Radio with Vic Cundiff if you want to hear a lot of first hand encounters with these things. I've heard of a couple of cases where they make the sound if a crying infant, loud and histaricle! One case I heard was someone remembering camping with grandma and they heard that sound, like a baby crying and grandma knew what it was because she turned ghost white and immediately built up the fire and moved the truck in close, piled the kids in and waited in the truck with a shot gun. Sure enough a big dogman came up to the camp fire sniffing around and grandma fired the shotgun at it and luckily it ran away! I say luckily because there have been many cases where shooting at it either barely fases it or just pisses it off! Lock your doors at night and sleep away from windows. They are known to look in windows and enter homes! If you have doubts about Dogman, please check out a bunch of Dogman Radio episodes. The people talking about their first hand encounters sound very legit and very disturbed! I find myself terrified and fascinated all at once and now I just want to learn as much as I can about them so that I can better understand them and how to react if I should ever see one.

Sounds like a Dogman! No joke! Check out Dogman Radio with Vic Cundiff if you want to hear a lot of first hand encounters with these things. I've heard of a couple of cases where they make the sound if a crying infant, loud and histaricle! One case I heard was someone remembering camping with grandma and they heard that sound, like a baby crying and grandma knew what it was because she turned ghost white and immediately built up the fire and moved the truck in close, piled the kids in and waited in the truck with a shot gun. Sure enough a big dogman came up to the camp fire sniffing around and grandma fired the shotgun at it and luckily it ran away! I say luckily because there have been many cases where shooting at it either barely fases it or just pisses it off! Lock your doors at night and sleep away from windows. They are known to look in windows and enter homes! If you have doubts about Dogman, please check out a bunch of Dogman Radio episodes. The people talking about their first hand encounters sound very legit and very disturbed! I find myself terrified and fascinated all at once and now I just want to learn as much as I can about them so that I can better understand them and how to react if I should ever see one.
Thanks! Welcome to the DIS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter