is there an animal that can make a sound sort of like a crying baby?

mtemm

<font color=teal>Doubly blessed<br><font color=dar
dh and I woke up at around 1:30 this morning to the sound of what we thought was a crying infant, but then sort of took of a turn that made us realize it was NOT a baby. It was one distinct howl/sound that seemed to last for the length of one good waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrr, then silence. we are guessing it was in our backyard or not too far from it. am just curious if there is some sort of animal that might make a sound like that. anyone know?

• joviroxx

<font color=blue>rectally reporters television pro
    Cats mating or in heat. Cats make weird noises.... Or maybe the chupacabra...

• mtemm

<font color=teal>Doubly blessed<br><font color=dar
    thanks! someone did say they saw a fischercat around a few blocks away, but it has been about a year since we were talking about it. I'm in a suburb, but lots of woods and lakes around, so not really country but not really city. There are some regular cats in the neighborhood who are outdoor cats so wondering if it was one of them.

really so eerie, wish I could replay it now and listen again!

luvmy3

<font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t
    thanks! someone did say they saw a fischercat around a few blocks away, but it has been about a year since we were talking about it. I'm in a suburb, but lots of woods and lakes around, so not really country but not really city. There are some regular cats in the neighborhood who are outdoor cats so wondering if it was one of them.

really so eerie, wish I could replay it now and listen again!
    If you google it you can probably find a video or audio clip of one.

Gigi22

DIS Veteran
    Not sure about the sound a Fisher would make, but I do know that a cat fight (and sometimes cats engaging in amorous activities) can sound an awful lot like a crying or screaming baby. If you have Fishers in your area, you should keep your pet cats--and small dogs--in at night. Fishers are serious predators.

• snapppyd

God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy!
    I also think certain birds make those noises to try to scare away predators.

minkydog

DIS Cast Member
    I've never heard of a fisher cat but i grew up in the country, so i've heard plenty of bobcats. They can sound just like babies crying.

DisneyBamaFan

Alabama - 2009 National Champions
    Peacock cries (not calls, but cries) sound just like a baby - especially from a distance. We have a peacock near our house. Before we knew what was making the sound, we often found ourselves looking for the crying baby.

Mkrop

I just cant go on demand
    We have one like that in our backyard and someone told me it is the foxes, which we do have quite a few of wandering around

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates