Is the Pool Fence keeping Locals out?

skyp4WDW

Mouseketeer
To those of you who were at Ft Wilderness over the 4th of July and/or this Summer; is the pool less crowded this year?

We were there over July 4th the last two years. The pool was packed both years. There was no magic band access to the gate, you just walked in. It more seemed to be there so they could lock it up after hours. I think some (many) of the other resorts require your magic band to get in. As Sheldon would say, the Fort's pool would be "a long bus ride for not very much".

I cannot say for certain, but I do know that when we were there in Mid June (2017) I was sitting in the Hot Tub and talking with a couple that lived just a couple of miles (less then 5) away and were there with their (young) "Adult" son. They did have "Annual Passes" though. Not sure if they were staying at the Fort or not, but it certainly made me wonder the way they were talking. They also were NOT wearing magic bands, so.....

Oh yeah, and most days, the pool was "PACKED" and if you did not get there early, you did not get a table, and possibly not even a Chaise.

Every trip I witness people parking in the lot and schleeping their stuff into the Fort, apparently some think a day at the Fort pool is worth it.

What do these people tell the guard to be able to park in the lot? Non holidays they turn us away with our bikes. We tell them the truth that we are riding and then having lunch at trails end. They ask if we have a reservation and we say we don't. Our decision to go is last minute plus we don't think a reservation is necessary. Just wondering how so many get in?

more importantly, if Disney "knows all", then why are they allowing it?

Because it costs money to prevent it. And until perceived lost revenue exceeds the cost of a solution, they won't do anything about it.

I had a conversation a few years ago in the Fort lobby with a Disney manager regarding the throwaway room issue. Their perception was although it violated the rules, it didn't happen frequently enough to do anything about it. They get paid for their campsite so they don't care about the theft of the other services. In the Throwaway thread, I laughed when I read someone say the Fort was full and they had to reserve a throwaway Value room at All Stars. But All Star management doesn't care because they got paid too.

Locals using the pool are the same. Until enough paying Fort guests complain longly and loudly enough, management won't do anything about it. They can post an extra CM at the gate with a MB scanner and require swimmers to have their MB's but that requires extra staffing (money). IIRC the pool at WL has a device/scanner that reads your MB to open the gate (a system which costs money). Halloween is the same way when locals overwhelm the Fort.

So Chris will have to put his popcorn away. All our outrage won't change it. Disney finally did something about the extra Magic Bands to book extra Fast Passes recently (Magic Band had to be tied to a Park Admissions ticket that was used that same day as the FP) because it got to be big enough of a problem. The problems of the WDW red-headed stepchildren guests (us FW campers) aren't a high priority.

Bama Ed

PS - We are really lucky we have the Fort to camp at while at WDW. Disneyland has no similar on-property offering and Disneyland Paris has Fort Davey Crockett which is just cabins only (no campsites at all). So we are an exception to the normal mode of business.

The last time my family was at the Fort, which was July 2014, there were what seemed to be lots of people in the pool with no magic bands. Big families with coolers who stayed until the pool closed, then packed up and left. I wondered if they were camping there, as the appearance seemed otherwise.

On the flip side of the coin, I've noticed the same thing at the Port Orleans Riverside resort during a stay there two years ago. The people on the loungers next to me were discussing how they were going to finish up, go to the car and drive back to their offsite hotel. I was surprised that they were talking out loud about it.

PS - We are really lucky we have the Fort to camp at while at WDW. Disneyland has no similar on-property offering and Disneyland Paris has Fort Davey Crockett which is just cabins only (no campsites at all). So we are an exception to the normal mode of business.

Ed, you are so right! If the decision would be made now, you can be sure there would be a fancy resort in that prized location, and not a bunch of 'lowly' campsites!! Disneyland doesn't have the space, so imagine that would have been a big deciding factor not to even consider campsites when it was in the planning. (also very little camping in 1955, as when WDW was opened in '71).

I feel like I have to apologize for those 'locals'. I know when they instituted having to show a MB at most resort pools there were a few people on a couple local boards I follow that were very mad and "how dare Disney take away my right to use their pools!". It's not fair for those who pay to stay there.

I rather disagree sightly, Mr. BamaEd. I think Disney is lucky to have "us" campers. Campers are typically a different sort of breed with kindness and thoughtfulness (well most are) and we are a special type of guest. I think they are "lucky" to have us bless them. If we could not camp, I don't think my children would be getting the "experience" at all. And, I say this with the most kindness of intent.

Because it costs money to prevent it. And until perceived lost revenue exceeds the cost of a solution, they won't do anything about it.

I had a conversation a few years ago in the Fort lobby with a Disney manager regarding the throwaway room issue. Their perception was although it violated the rules, it didn't happen frequently enough to do anything about it. They get paid for their campsite so they don't care about the theft of the other services. In the Throwaway thread, I laughed when I read someone say the Fort was full and they had to reserve a throwaway Value room at All Stars. But All Star management doesn't care because they got paid too.

Locals using the pool are the same. Until enough paying Fort guests complain longly and loudly enough, management won't do anything about it. They can post an extra CM at the gate with a MB scanner and require swimmers to have their MB's but that requires extra staffing (money). IIRC the pool at WL has a device/scanner that reads your MB to open the gate (a system which costs money). Halloween is the same way when locals overwhelm the Fort.

I agree with this 100%. It is the absolute fact and Disney isn't gonna fix it until they show a big profit loss. They aren't losing any money with extra people in the pool. That pool is gonna get cleaned just the same and the pump is gonna run just the same if the pool is half empty or completely full. They probably do think "Hey, with these extra people they'll at least buy some extra stuff at the snack bar so that's extra money for us." Same with the whole "throwaway room" situation, which gets its own little sticky over on the Strategies thread explaining to everyone how to do it properly. Disney has the spot paid for for that night, and that's all they care about.

I feel like I have to apologize for those 'locals'. I know when they instituted having to show a MB at most resort pools there were a few people on a couple local boards I follow that were very mad and "how dare Disney take away my right to use their pools!". It's not fair for those who pay to stay there.

Well, I appreciate someone being honest on the situation.

I realize that we are only one family but these types of things coupled with Disney managements failures in enforcing rules ( a whole new debate in and of itself ) is having an impact on our planning. This last trip was a constant lack of pixie dust moments and quite frankly we are not planning on going this Jan/Feb. We have been to WDW at least once a year (and sometimes twice) since 1993.

I spoke to Front desk and guest services people several times this last trip and either nothing was done or the issue was handled poorly. I ended up wondering why I was spending so much money there. Maybe Disney needs to start acting like they want my money instead of just taking me for granted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter