• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Is the Polynesian resort worth all the extra money??" (warning, long and rambling!)

I just booked Poly for the week after labor day. My DH wanted a hotel with MK view and I've read a lot of good thing about Poly. We've only stayed at POP last October, so I'm sure this is going to be a huge difference.

You feel exactly how we felt one December trip. We tried CSR to save a few bucks around the Christmas season. Our trip just felt off until the last day when we went to the Kona for breakfast. The moment we walked into the GCH it hit us like a ton o' bricks, HOME! At that very moment, we wanted to book more days and start our mini vacation over. We couldn't put our finger exactly on it until then, but it was where we were staying.

Yes, CSR is beautiful, the price is right, but..when your in love with another resort, its hard to be completely happy elsewhere.:love:

Were staying 4 nights at the AKL while we do SeaWorld and Discovery Cove next week, and the girls are so excited to try someplace new, but I will be counting down the days till we check in at the POLY:cloud9:

I agree with BostonRob's comments and others who wrote about the moderates not giving the most value for your money. For me it's also a deluxe or a value resort. I've tried the moderates and like them all for various reasons but they definitely are "not" deluxe and sort of are "value" when you consider transportation and room amenities. We joined DVC back when it was only OKW but I love the option of the different DVC resorts which do feel like "deluxe" to me even though they're not classed as deluxe. We like BWV in the spring, WLV in the fall/winter, OKW for a larger family gathering or a trip to really relax, and BCV during the food/wine festival. Now that AKLV is being built then we'll have another great choice. We love the Poly too- it was where my husband and I had our honeymoon in the late 70's and the convenience there and ambience outweighs many other resorts. If I had small children again, that's where I would want to stay if it fit my budget. Guess I'm rambling too, but there IS something for everyone at WDW and sometimes way too many choices to be made. It's hard to choose just one resort and then wonder if your choice is the right one!---Kathy

SeaSpray:

Nice post. I'm glad I saw this. I hope to see you at Tikifest. :)

As for the moderate vs value resorts. I think the pools and pool amenities at the moderates are much better than the value pool areas. To our family of 3 the pool area is a key part of our vacation. The amenities the pool areas bring to us at the moderates is well worth the extra cost. We love CSR's pool area; the slide, pool bar., etc The whole Dig Site is incredible for a moderate level resort. As others have mentioned in this thread it really comes down to family and indiviual priorities and what you want out of your vacation.

I'm not trying to change the topic of this thread, but needed to express that thought.

SeaSpray,

I saw the title to your thread and was thinking, "yes the Polynesian has gotten very expensive." Then I read your comments and thought, "I feel the same way!"

No other resort makes me feel the same way. We've stayed at the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and ASM. When we check-in at the Polynesian and enter the lobby, I feel my shoulders drop and I get that "ahhhh, we are on VACATION" feeling.

We can't wait to stay in the refurbished rooms! We've been through the "pink & turquoise", "rust/brown/beige batik I" and "rust/brown/beige batik II" decors and are looking forward to seeing what Disney has done to our "home":goodvibes .

Hope to see you at Tikifest!

Of all the moderates, I am so dying to try POR/POFQ though! I've heard the landscaping and layout is beautiful, and it is good to hear about the good bus service. But for a family of 4 or 5 you would need 2 rooms. Then you're practically paying deluxe prices!

Not true! The Alligator Bayou rooms at POR sleep 5. I love both of the Port Orleans resorts. They landscaping is so pretty, and the resorts feel peaceful, a great place to be after all of the chaos of the parks.

I haven't stayed at a value - they REALLY don't appeal to me - but I agree with the view that the mods are a good value. It seems that during times that WDW offers discounts you can get a great price on a moderate. The theming is just fantastic at the ones I've stayed (all but CBR). I agree with others who said that if the mods had queen beds I'd probably not often look at the deluxes. (for me personally - my family might disagree!)

That being said...I'm considering spending the last 2 nights of our WDW summer trip at the Poly. We're at a conference at CSR the first 3 nights. I've always wanted to try the Poly and see what the fuss is about! I loved the CR and it is still my family's most preferred resort - they loved being able to walk to the MK.

I'll start right out by saying "I've found my 'happy place' and it's at the Polynesian resort". :lmao:

As I walked towards the volcano pool, I saw the new "lava" that was added to the top and snapped a picture of that... then I felt it; a little difficult to describe, but just one of those "ahhh, I'm HOME" feelings... :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

I think you put it pretty succinctly in these two quotes. I couldn't agree with the sentiments more and totally get it!:yay:

I've stayed at three deluxes (Poly once, BC many times, WL once), one moderate (POR twice), and one value (POP, once, on a unplanned solo trip while stranded in Florida due to a car wreck). The Poly is my favorite, for many reasons, but I feel I do have to say a good word about the POR. It's a really nice resort. The POR's theming is not so bold as the values, and might appeal to adults more than kids, but I really did prefer the POR pool areas and the larger food court to that of POP's. (Nothing against POP--the values really are a great value, and I enjoyed my stay there.) The landscaping is beautiful and it's got a nice peaceful feel to it that you don't get at a value, where the focus is more on constant activity. Also, the bar and Boatwright's are a lot of fun.

We're staying at the Poly this month, and feel it's totally worth it for what our family wants out of a Disney vacation, and we're all so excited to be going back, but I would stay again at POR without hesitation.

I've stayed at POR and loved it, but I am definitely excited about staying at the Poly in September. . .especially after reading your post.:thumbsup2 I am so excited about the pool and I think my little boys are going to love it. This is definitely a dream come true trip for me!

You have definitely made me want to stay at the Poly!!! princess: Thank you for your comparison.:cheer2:

I am taking my family of five (DS 10, DS 7, DD 5) for our first family trip to DW late October. We have saved to be able to stay in the Poly. Our ressies are made and my parents are joining us. It has been 30 years since they have been there and we stayed at a little motel somewhere off property. This is a huge splurge for both of us. We hope it will be as magical as all of your posts. I am soooooooooooooooo excited! :)

I am taking my family of five (DS 10, DS 7, DD 5) for our first family trip to DW late October. We have saved to be able to stay in the Poly. Our ressies are made and my parents are joining us. It has been 30 years since they have been there and we stayed at a little motel somewhere off property. This is a huge splurge for both of us. We hope it will be as magical as all of your posts. I am soooooooooooooooo excited! :)

Congrats! You'll love it.

I'm so glad to have come across this thread. We went ahead and upgraded to the Polynesian! When reading all of these posts about the "feeling" you get from Poly it just lets me know we made the right decision. I've always dreamed of staying there and we always visit the Polynesian for O'hana. It'll be nice to soak up all of the resort w/out having to leave after dinner.

what a great thread! Everyone is so pleasant here!

I have a quick trip for DH and I planned at POR and a family vacation with all 4 kiddos at Poly two weeks later! Now I can 't wait to stay at both!

of course, had I booked over at POP, I may have been staying at SSR for a really nice price hhhmmm?! :rolleyes1 sorry couldn't resist. :rotfl:

SSR is the resort that wet my whistle for Disney again after our last 2 less than magical off site visits so I did fall in love over there with the magic but am hoping the monorail, convenience and some Kona toast do it for me at the Poly!

Thanks for posting everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter