Is the bus situation at Port Orleans (R & FQ) really that bad?

Dallas_Lady

I only work for the vacation money
We stayed at POR back in 2002 and loved it. We had no problems with the buses whatsoever. We have since stayed at CSR and CBR but want to return to POR for our next trip. But over the last few years I keep seeing people say that the shared buses between these two resorts is really bad.

Is it really that bad, or is it just a few isolated incidents?

We were at POR 4/17-4/20 of this year and had no problems at all. However we did always go to the main bus depot at the resort entrance to catch them. We were equidistant from that depot and one other and opted for the main one mostly because of issues I read about here and elsewhere. The buses were crowded coming back, but we never waited more than 15 minutes which is an amount of time I would expect. I was worried too from everything I read, but it wasn't a problem. We stayed at POR in 2002 and 2005, and loved it, and did this time too! Enjoy!!:goodvibes

No, the bus situation isn't bad. We had a wonderful stay in early Aug last year at POR. No bus complaints, no complaints at all.:goodvibes

This makes me feel better...we leave in 2 days for POR! :)

I have been telling myself that there can be bus issues at every resort and not to worry about it.

This makes me feel better...we leave in 2 days for POR! :)

I have been telling myself that there can be bus issues at every resort and not to worry about it.

Have a wonderful trip!!!:cool1:

We stayed at POFQ 2 years ago and the only problem we had with buses was that at some time during the day (can't remember details, sorry) they have separate buses for the 2 resorts. So one day we got on one at MK that said "POR" presuming it was going to both but it just went to POR and straight back to MK with us still on it! :rotfl2: Apart from that no problems.

We just stayed at POR Riverside about two weeks ago and never had any problems. In fact, the day we went to MK we did not share a bus with POFQ. It might of been because it was Spring Break and they had extra buses. If you are staying at POR Riverside, make sure you go to the bakery in the food court and get an apple tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It is wonderful. I had one every night!!

I tend to post that the bus sharing is a negative but then ALL WDW resorts have some sort of negative (size, sorry pool, location, old, whatever). I love POR. The only negative I see with it is that bus sharing thing. We stayed at POR in April of 2006. We shared busses most of the time during the day and several times during the night. It was only a problem once (our room was near the last stop) or twice when the bus couldn't pick us (and several others) up since it was too full. Another bus seemed to come along really quickly, so I am assuming the driver radioed and another one got sent pronto. In December of 2006 we stayed at FQ. That time was during Christmas week and we shared constantly with POR. There were many times (to Epcot and MK in particular) that the last two stops of POR couldn't be picked up. At that time, I was really glad we were at FQ.

In the end, it can be a problem. Is it a constant problem? I don't think so, there are too many people that love this resort and won't go anywhere else. I have just decided that next time I stay at POR I will rent a car if at all possible. If I can't rent a car, I'll still stay there and just walk to the main depot if it looks dicey. The great points of POR so outweigh the bad ones that to me its not a big issue, just an issue.

Just like CBR has the "too spread out issue", French Quarter has the too small slide issue, CSR has the convention issue and well you get the idea. Whether a resorts negative issues affect you just depends on luck and what is important to your overall stay. I think the main thing is that if you want to be someplace right on time (park opening, ADR) and you are at one of the last couple of stops at POR either allow some extra time or walk over to the first bus depot. Of course renting a car eliminates all worry with this problem!

I would never tell anyone not to stay there but when I post my replies regarding this resort I do generally mention the bus thing based on my stay there and at FQ. In the end, with a 1000 rooms of its own I think FQ is too much to tack onto POR's route. I see why they do it since by Disney standards 1000 rooms is a tiny resort but I still think the two resorts combined (they have over 3000 rooms total as compared to CBR's 2100 rooms total) are just too much for once bus route. Especially during peak times.

We were @ Riverside in April, and I thought the buses were great, considering the size of the resort. It was a busy week also, so if it were bad I would have expected it that week for sure.

Although let me say, the ONE time we dropped off at FQ, I almost got off the bus at the wrong place...thanks to my alert hubby:banana: , I didn't!!!

We stayed at POR in Nov and had no problems either. We caught buses at the south dept. Buses came pretty quickly and we usually had seats.

Here are our experiences...We stayed at POR twice. The first time was in 2000 when it was still called Dixie Landings. We had no problems then at all, but I do not remember if at the time they shared buses with Port Orleans? Plus, that was quite a few years ago.

Unfortunately, our last trip to POR was in 2006, and we had horrible bus service for most of our trip. We went during a slower time, so it was not heavy crowds that had an impact. We would have to wait for a bus, and then when it came, it was usually filled with guests from POFQ, since the bus picks up and drops off there first. So, there were many times we had to wait for another bus, or had to stand. It was a pain in the you know what! :headache:

We stayed at POFQ in 2007 and had no problem at all with the buses. There were times the bus went on without stopping at POR, but there were more times we did go there next. However, since FQ gets picked up first, we were the lucky ones. I felt sorry for the poor folks at POR, because I remember how I felt, when I was one of them. :guilty:

A matter of fact we will be staying at FQ again in 2009.

Here are our experiences...We stayed at POR twice. The first time was in 2000 when it was still called Dixie Landings. We had no problems then at all, but I do not remember if at the time they shared buses with Port Orleans?

Yes, the two resorts have always shared a bus service - don't you remember watching for the signs saying "PORT / DIXIE" on the buses?

Andre

I think you can have problems at ANY resort. I was there last August and we had no issues except waiting 45 minutes for a bus back from TL. I'll be there again in a little over 2 weeks!

Yes, the two resorts have always shared a bus service - don't you remember watching for the signs saying "PORT / DIXIE" on the buses?

Andre

:upsidedow Unfortunately for me...no I don't remember. That was 8 years ago, and let me tell you, I'm lucky I remember what I did yesterday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter