Is the best price for a family of 6?

LilMamiBella

DIS Veteran
We want to go to Disney World and Universal Studios. We’re thinking of doing 4-5 days no park hopper at Disney World and then do one park a day at Universal.
so If I go to UndercoverT and buy the 4 or 5 day no park hopper and the 2 Universal parks plus Volcano bay; is this best I can do for our situation? I’m guessing staying offsite is still the best way to go with so many of us? It’ll be me, my dh, adult dd, and three kids over 10.

When are you going?

offsite isn’t always best, especially if there’s a great ticket deal.

you’ve also got good neighbor hotels where you can get some perks (depending on when your traveling!).

are you driving? We LOVE staying at surfside/dockside inn at universal. It has a second bedroom with a door (only one bathroom!), or you could do a king suite at one of the other resorts, or rent a house. Lots of options.

I want to go down end of June or early July. We will be driving there. I’d like to get things as cheap as I can.

For the Universal part: Is cost your first priority? I’m asking because if you are not on property then you’ll have to pay to get to parks/parking fees. You’ll also miss early entry if not in property and you won’t get to ride hogwarts express if you have single park tickets. There are very nicely priced suites at Endless Summer and Dockside that are around 114$ then you’d have free transportation and early entry. I’m not sure what your off property cost is. Also, and this will depend on when you are going, sometimes it makes sense for one person in the party to get an annual pass (much cheaper than Disney and you can make payments even if you live out of state) then buy discounted tickets and hotel rooms because of the pass. You’d also get discounts on food and merchandise. I’d need to know what travel dates you are considering in order to advise about disney.

My girls are reading Harry Potter now so that would be great. I had no idea about the early entry.

For the Universal part: Is cost your first priority? I’m asking because if you are not on property then you’ll have to pay to get to parks/parking fees. You’ll also miss early entry if not in property and you won’t get to ride hogwarts express if you have single park tickets. There are very nicely priced suites at Endless Summer and Dockside that are around 114$ then you’d have free transportation and early entry. I’m not sure what your off property cost is. Also, and this will depend on when you are going, sometimes it makes sense for one person in the party to get an annual pass (much cheaper than Disney and you can make payments even if you live out of state) then buy discounted tickets and hotel rooms because of the pass. You’d also get discounts on food and merchandise. I’d need to know what travel dates you are considering in order to advise about disney.

I’d recommend staying at universal either all or part of the trip, not at Disney.

but if you do a house rental, you’d have a kitchen, so you could save a bundle on food (I’ve got 5 soon to be 6, and food in the parks adds up fast!)

personally, I’d recommend:

3 days Disney
Two off days (pool days or mini golf, or explore resorts)
2-3 days universal (volcano bay is fun, but it’s also a water park, so not *super* memorable).
OR
Universal still has annual passes, Disney does not. One of you could get an annual pass, get better discounts on the room and food in the parks, and then do 3-4 days at universal with tickets, and two days at Disney world.

I’d recommend staying at universal either all or part of the trip, not at Disney.

but if you do a house rental, you’d have a kitchen, so you could save a bundle on food (I’ve got 5 soon to be 6, and food in the parks adds up fast!)

personally, I’d recommend:

3 days Disney
Two off days (pool days or mini golf, or explore resorts)
2-3 days universal (volcano bay is fun, but it’s also a water park, so not *super* memorable).
OR
Universal still has annual passes, Disney does not. One of you could get an annual pass, get better discounts on the room and food in the parks, and then do 3-4 days at universal with tickets, and two days at Disney world.
We’ve stayed in a rental house a few times and we really liked it. I’d be interested in staying at a hotel if it was worth it. I’ve been to Universal many years ago and since we don’t like big roller coasters it wasn’t all that fun. But since the girls are interested in the Harry Potter theme I’ve decided we could try it again.

R
Do you mean I’ll need a park hopper style pass?
Right, the ticket wording is awful but there are “2-park tickets” that you will need. You can get “2-park” or “1-park” tickets and the 1-park ticket you can choose only universal or IOA. The “2-park” tickets you can hop to both as many times as you want (the train experience is different in each direction). Just an FYI I just checked the universal site and they have a variety of ticket deals and a package that you may want to explore because the 2-park ticket option is available in a variety of days and is part of the package .

I’m guessing staying offsite is still the best way to go with so many of us? It’ll be me, my dh, adult dd, and three kids over 10.
Yes, staying offsite definitely is the least expensive way to go. I assume you will have a car.

My offsite recommendation is to get a comfortable & roomy 2-bedroom condo at Wyndham Bonnet Creek on eBay for about $150/night (all fees included). This puts you right in the middle of WDW and within easy driving distance to I-4 for your day at Universal. This has become our go-to when we stay offsite.

Last edited:
For Disney I agree with the above that offsite or staying at universal in either Endless Summer may be better as there is currently no on site perk at Disney. Maybe someone knows if the “2 extra ticket days free” deal could economically work for a larger party? But other than that, unless they start some perks it’s not worth it. Also, if you want to go to Hollywood studios I’d book sooner than later as the reservations are getting full already .....just thought I’d throw that out there.

For Disney I agree with the above that offsite or staying at universal in either Endless Summer may be better as there is currently no on site perk at Disney. Maybe someone knows if the “2 extra ticket days free” deal could economically work for a larger party? But other than that, unless they start some perks it’s not worth it. Also, if you want to go to Hollywood studios I’d book sooner than later as the reservations are getting full already .....just thought I’d throw that out there.

It may. You have to purchase by April 27th. Undercover Tourist has it available. I still need to buy mine. :)

If we stayed at Endless for 2-3 days wouldn’t it be better to go just get room only and get tickets at the hotel? The online package is for 4 days. If I have the park to park tickets then I really don’t know that we need that many days.

I’m not seeing anything for July on eBay. Is there any other ways to get that kind of price?

Yes, staying offsite definitely is the least expensive way to go. I assume you will have a car.

My offset recommendation is to get a comfortable & roomy 2-bedroom condo at Wyndham Bonnet Creek on eBay for about $150/night (all fees included). This puts you right in the middle of WDW and within easy driving distance to I-4 for your day at Universal. This has become our go-to when we stay offsite.

View attachment 568165

I’m not seeing anything for July on eBay. Is there any other ways to get that kind of price?
Most deals are offered about 2 months or less in advance. eBay currently shows 110 listings for May but only 30 for June. July might be in a few more weeks.

You can always book something else as a backup and keep an eye open.

A couple of times when we have booked about 2-3 weeks in advance, we’ve gotten about $100/night, but we also can be flexible with dates.

For example, at the moment, there are some 2-bedroom listings for trips within the next 3 weeks for $309 (total) for 4 nights. A few more for $439.

At the moment, the best rate for 7 nights in a 2-bedroom is $848 ($121/night) in May. There are several 7-night listings for $999 ($142/night).

We are DVC members but have stayed at WBC 5-6 times when we need the space and don't want to use DVC points. WBC's 2-bedrooms are larger than any DVC 2-bedroom and the resort is located near Disney's Old Key West and Riviera. They always ask you if you want to tour their timeshare. We always say 'no' and that's the end of it. There are no other fees so what we've paid on eBay has always been the total cost.

The biggest issue with WBC is parking. You'll get a spot in the parking garage but might have to walk a bit. But there are a few WDW hotels where the walk from the car to room is just as far or farther.

I advise against staying at WBC (or anywhere offsite) if you don't have a car.

Last edited:
We want to go to Disney World and Universal Studios. We’re thinking of doing 4-5 days no park hopper at Disney World and then do one park a day at Universal.
so If I go to UndercoverT and buy the 4 or 5 day no park hopper and the 2 Universal parks plus Volcano bay; is this best I can do for our situation? I’m guessing staying offsite is still the best way to go with so many of us? It’ll be me, my dh, adult dd, and three kids over 10.

We have some friends with a family of 6, and they love to stay at the Double Tree Suite by Hilton Orlando - Disney Springs area.. They like the location and price for a family of 6... room to spread out for sure... as well on that end you are close to I-4 to go to Universal or you can go Turkey Lake Road and miss the construction... The other option that they like is AOA family suites it sleep 6, and has 2 bathrooms which for a family of 6 is a must.

As far as Volcano Bay - it's just okay - To much concrete, and not enough shade... and not enough places to put your stuff, We got in for free, and I have to say for us, I'm glad we did not pay for it. We had planned to stay all day, and ended up leaving after like 3 hours...just wasn't for us.
For us we prefer the Disney Water Parks... much much nicer, and you can easily spend the whole day and relax for sure. You might want to think about doing 2 days in the water parks, one day at each of them...

Depending on your group and really what they want to see at Universal - you might could get by with a 1 day- 2 park pass - and see what you want to see, and with that get the express pass or whatever they call it... it might work out better...

In June and July its hot and humid as heck... so you will be wanting a pool time daily for sure... That why I suggested 2 days at the water parks...

So you could do 3 or 4 days in the Disney Parks, 2 Days Disney water parks, and 1 day at Universal -

However you decide, Have a wonderful trip..

Have you ever stayed at the Embassy Suites?
They have a bedroom with 2 beds and a living room area with fold out couch ( 2 TV’s) .Also has a small kitchenette with sink coffee pot mini refrigerator and a table and chairs.
This hotel chain serves a breakfast (might be grabngo due to Covid) and a complimentary beverage in evenings.
2 locations on International Drive across from FunStopOrlando Amusement Park and many restaurants including Olive Garden.
I stayed at the Jamaican Court location and really liked it. Quick drive to Universal and not far from WDW.
Currently looks like reasonable pricing and they might have AAA discount or other online deals. If you like Olive Garden check to see if they have that buy one get one deal going.
Looks like they might have a shuttle but prob fee and early sign up required, etc.
The easiest choice would probably be the Universal Value Resorts for all the amentities, quick and free shuttle provided and early hour entry .
Alsowhen you enter a Universal Resort everybody has the temp screening and is given a wristband daily to access all areas on property. So you wont be stopped constantly in that line from the parking lots and theme park entry, etc. Worth it to stay on property just to avoid the long slow lines to park your car! They are practicing social distancing with cars also...
Don’t forget VooDoo Donuts at CityWalk. Also CityWalk has a rooftop Burger King and a unique hot dog stand called Hall of Fame with bleacher seating and big screen TV , for suggestions. CityWalk has a fun mini golf called Hollywood Drive .
Do not miss the new Bourne Stunt Show Spectabular. Your eyes will not believe this stage performance show!
You will want the one day park to park to travel by train from Kings Cross Station London (Universal Studios) to Hogsmeade Station (Islands of Adventure) ... it offers a different scenic view both ways and is quite fun! Hope you plan to make it a long day because walking around at night is the best fun ( love the lights.) .
If you happen to make a first stop at a WalMart I noticed they have a little stand provided with brochures for Universal and WDW and maps that detail the theme parks. They used to sell tickets but not sure if you have to ask for service . Next time I go I will ask ( prob tomorrow) .
And if you want postcards they have a fun selection at WalMart and Target . I can never find them on property anymore! Don’t forget post card stamps !
Another suggestion if you have AAA , Universal still offers some discounts at their restaurants so be sure to ask.

If you don’t might switching resorts be sure to price the All Star Value Resorts on Disney property to avoid added parking fees . They still charge a nightly fee at resort but better than those daily fees at the theme parks.

Also Disney has online offer that ends soon May 2 for arrivals now thru 9/25/21. 2 extra days added to ticketing with 4 night / 3 day Resort Ticket Package.
Don’t forget to check for Park Pass Availabilty soon to make those required Theme Park Reservations at DisneyWorld due to capacity issues.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter