Is the “Wizarding World of Harry Potter” package ever worth it?

SweetieinVT

Mouseketeer
What am I missing? If I look at the package pricing for the dates and resort we are looking at, it seems more expensive or the same to do the package than to go it a la carte. Am I missing something?

$3714 (with tax)
1 adult, 2 kids (10+)
HRH Garden View 2 queen room
3-park, 3-day park to park tickets
Three Broomsticks breakfast
Keepsake box
Leaky Cauldron breakfast
Shutterborne Studio package

The conventional wisdom on the Universal boards is that packages are rarely worth it. I would price out the room and park ticket cost (checking to see if an annual pass for even one in your party will get you a reduced rate on the room itself) and then just book that. You can always decide on the breakfasts later, and I doubt the keepsake box and photo package will be worth the overall more expensive cost of the package!

The conventional wisdom on the Universal boards is that packages are rarely worth it. I would price out the room and park ticket cost (checking to see if an annual pass for even one in your party will get you a reduced rate on the room itself) and then just book that. You can always decide on the breakfasts later, and I doubt the keepsake box and photo package will be worth the overall more expensive cost of the package!
Yeah, I had booked the hotel under that assumption, and am planning to buy UT tickets which will save a little, but saw an advert suggesting that there was some sort of discount for the package, and I just don’t see it.

Some people feel more comfortable not messing with individual reservations and would prefer a package. Usually they are sold with the idea that they're a great deal, but often it's cheaper and more flexible to buy the items a la carte.

I think it depends. We got the package and are going Thanksgiving week. We are staying at RP for 5 nights with 4 days in the parks. ( we have park to park tickets) We have the two breakfasts and the 3 shutterbug - which is what ?? $85 a session? ( you get the 12 scenes and a picture - not sure if that is the same package as everyone else or not 🤷🏼‍♀️) We also got 3 HP lanyards - which if we bought them are $15 each - so $45 there. The luggage tags are nice and adorable - not sure if they sell them or not.
we got the entire package for $2400 for 3 people. One adult and two 13 year olds. Now I am use to Disney prices so I think that’s a steal. I guess it depends on how you view it and my daughter is a huge fan so we would have been making reservations for all of that.
We got a box today from Universal with our HP stuff and a cool things to do book -my kids are really excited and it got us in the mood for our trip - similar to getting your magic bands from Disney. It was very nicely presented. For us it was worth it.

While $2400 is pretty good, here is how it looks with Annual Passes and an APH rate:

3x Seasonal Passes @ $350 = $1050
5 nights APH Rate at RPR @ $220 (approx) = $1100
Total = $2150

Not sure I'd see $250 in value in the other items. The big advantage of the APs is being able to go in the parks all 6 days, plus you can come back for additional trip(s) and just pay for the room. The APH rates for deluxe resorts are quite reasonable, even during crowded times. We got 3 trips on our last APs, and will likely do the same on this set (Thanksgiving, Presidents Day, Halloween)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter