Is preschool tax deductible?

hey I have read multiple places that preschool is tax deductible up to first grade. I would double check with a C.P.A.

Also - about asking for help (and I'm not referring to this question or this website because this person has no idea who is giving the advice or if it is even correct)...it's probably no secret that I am a tax professional and it drives me CRAZY that people who do their own return on Turbo Tax ask me tax questions and expect me to help them with their prep. I spent 4 years in school and a lot of time and money in the upkeep of my education. Taxes are extremely complicated. You wouldn't expect your lawyer or doctor friends for free services would you?

*This is in no means a personal attack on anyone...just a mini rant on the subject from a poor SAHM who gets hit up all the time!*

I think that what LizinSTL meant was not that people shouldn't pay for tax preparers in general, but that people will pay someone to do an EZ (aka EASY) form for them. It's sooo easy to do that no one should pay someone for that form which is a no-brainer.

I have a friend that is a doctor and will ask her questions in a pinch. I have a friend that is a vet and will ask him questions in a pinch. I am a teacher and get asked questions about school situations all the time. It's just something that friends do. Granted if your friends want you to do the forms for them, they should pay, but a few questions shouldn't be an issue.

I have a friend that is a doctor and will ask her questions in a pinch. I have a friend that is a vet and will ask him questions in a pinch. I am a teacher and get asked questions about school situations all the time. It's just something that friends do. Granted if your friends want you to do the forms for them, they should pay, but a few questions shouldn't be an issue.

Understandable and I think I originally posted on a bad day. The thing is, I have the same people hit me up all the time. And these people realize at some point that they have asked A LOT of questions and then say something like "oh, we will have to have you prepare our taxes next year" then the following year..."quick question, when I did my return on Turbo Tax, yada yada." And maybe it is only one question but it's the culmination.

You are a teacher and you are paid to be one - I completely understand people asking you questions about school situations - you don't get paid to consult with people on school situations, right? Also, you probably patronize your friend that is a doctor and vet? Like if you pet is sick or needs shots, you take them to a vet, but if you have a question, you call and ask. I get that. When I prepare someone's tax return, advise/consulting time comes with the fee and I will answer as many questions as someone has no problem. Advice is what I get paid for - not teaching or seeing patients, etc. In my post I probably should have said, "You wouldn't expect your friend that's a doctor to see all of their friends for free or lawyers to represent people for free."
Appreciate the opportunity to share my point of view!

And by the way, I do some pro bono work for people that cannot afford to pay someone to do their returns but are entitled to certain goverment benefits -so it's not just about the income. It's my friends that make six firgures plus and have complicated issues that try to do their own returns and make numerous errors and those who try to do Turbo Tax for businesses and have no idea what they are doing that are beginning to annoy me. :dance3:

my son's preschool was tax deductible because they would do preschool stuff in the morning and in the afternoon, it was just like childcare.

Both of my kids attended pre-school through our park district - it was tax deductible. My how I miss that deduction...although, not the payment!

Both of our daughters attended pre school and it was tax deductible. My hubby and I both worked though. The school gave us a statement for our taxes!

We (when I worked full time in preschool & childcare)gave everyone a form, but it was up to the parents to know if they were eligible for the deduction.

I'm glad I read this though. I work a few hours a week teaching string lessons. I wonder if I do my prep time during DD's preschool, if it would count. I'll have to look into that next year. (She's not in preschool yet.) Her preschool will cost about what I make.

We (when I worked full time in preschool & childcare)gave everyone a form, but it was up to the parents to know if they were eligible for the deduction.

I'm glad I read this though. I work a few hours a week teaching string lessons. I wonder if I do my prep time during DD's preschool, if it would count. I'll have to look into that next year. (She's not in preschool yet.) Her preschool will cost about what I make.

Just as long as you work each day she goes to preschool at some point- you meet the IRS's burden to claim the credit. Next time you go to the library, grab the publication (Pub 503) that addresses this issue and read through it. It'll cover all the bases. It's a credit, NOT a deduction. It's a percentage based on your AGI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter